Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What to do with secret key of GPG principal key? Stash away?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: What to do with secret key of GPG principal key? Stash away? Reply with quote

I bought a Yubikey which provides an GPG module and three key "slots". I followed the guidesand
  • created a principal key with certification capabilities only and unlimited expiration date,
  • added three sub-keys for signing, decryption and authorization,
  • created a backup of the secret key, public key and revocation certificate on an external USB stick with a keypad,
  • moved the secret keys of the sub-keys to the Yubikey.
I am wondering what I should do with the secret key of the principal key. As far I understand the principal key is only needed for certification of other public keys and to create new sub-keys when the current ones will expire. So it is much less frequently used than the other keys. I am surprised that the Yubikey allows to store the secret keys three sub-keys but not the secret key of the principal key. IMHO, the principal key is much more at risk, because it allows to do key management (create new sub-keys, certify other keys, create revocation certificates).

Question 1: Should I delete the secret key of the principal key from my key ring as I have it on my backup stick?

After I had moved the sub-keys to the Yubikey, GnuPG automatically deleted the secret keys from my keyring.

Question 2: How do I create a second Yubikey identical to the first one as a backup?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: