Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Lila Theme Official Thread (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 41, 42, 43  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:

@superjaded: that's very strange... it works fine for me here... Try to go to the cvs page and display or download it and see if yours became corrupt somehow...

Will do.

Quote:
About the ebuilds, I'd like to say one more thing directed at everyone. We basically have two options at the moment [..]

I think I prefer a more modular approach to the ebuilds.
Look at gstreamer as an example -- it was quite klunky with 30 different USE flags for the different plugins in gst-plugins when 0.7/8 was in its infancy.. the more modular aspect of the new ebuilds make things faster and more streamlined -- I mean, if you realized you forgot that you wanted ogg/vorbis support, does that mean you should have to compile in support for everything else you already included?

It makes even more sense with Lila because, unlike the monolithic gst-plugins tarball, Lila is, by default, distributed in its separate components, so it would just be a matter of downloading a different tarball based on the name. You could even create a lila-artwork.eclass for the majority of the themes. I would probably recommend modularizing the themes even further than just basic "lila-artwork-gtk+" to maybe even "lila-artwork-gtk+-quasi" or something to that effect.

since both Openbox, GTK+ and Metacity get installed in the same basic hierarchy (/usr/share/themes/x/y), it would be fairly easy to create an eclass that could do most of the work for you.

Atleast in theory, anyway. ;)
scaba wrote:
they will be in for sure. i just wanted to update/fix the existing things before including new stuff.

There's a note about the Kuala themes not working properly without the smooth-engine from gnome-themes-extras 0.7. 0.7 isn't in portage at all. Something to note, anyway.
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i call a stop on the ebuild for now, till we have decided how to continue with Lila. i don't know which way is better, monolithic or modular, and i don't mind either, but i just know that i don't want to have my portdir overlay cluttered with dozens of lila ebuilds. i don't mind a couple, but not too many, because it would be a pain to download, digest and emerge them all, if not being done automatically by portage.
if we decide to go for the modular approach, i would suggest to do ebuilds for each programm, as dgt84 already mentioned. i propably woudn't do a separate gtk or backgrounds ebuild but just include everything needed for, let's say xfce (gtk themes, lila icons, wallpapers...) in a xfce ebuild. same for gnome and the others. that way, i only have to get a few ebuilds.
i don't know if this is feasible, just a thought.
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scaba wrote:
i think i call a stop on the ebuild for now, till we have decided how to continue with Lila. i don't know which way is better, monolithic or modular, and i don't mind either, but i just know that i don't want to have my portdir overlay cluttered with dozens of lila ebuilds. i don't mind a couple, but not too many, because it would be a pain to download, digest and emerge them all, if not being done automatically by portage.
if we decide to go for the modular approach, i would suggest to do ebuilds for each programm, as dgt84 already mentioned. i propably woudn't do a separate gtk or backgrounds ebuild but just include everything needed for, let's say xfce (gtk themes, lila icons, wallpapers...) in a xfce ebuild. same for gnome and the others. that way, i only have to get a few ebuilds.
i don't know if this is feasible, just a thought.

lila-xfce-0.1.ebuild and others could easily be made to depend on lila-gtk-0.1.ebuild and lila-backgrounds-0.1.ebuild, etc... :wink:
Some people may just want the backgorunds or gtk themes, so we should leave them as options in my opinion.

I think the modular approach is the best idea, though having so many different ebuilds is a pain. I wouldn't go into the different themes for gtk, but try to bundle them to keep the ebuilds per-program. I think that makes the most sense at this point. How easy is it to make an eclass? I've never looked into it before... I don't think it would be too much work, and I know it has a much better chance of getting into portage this way.
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:
How easy is it to make an eclass?

I've never actually made an eclass, but judging from foser's work with gstreamer and gst-plugins, it shouldn't be too hard. Check out /usr/portage/eclass/gst-plugins.eclass for a pretty good example of an eclass that does something similiar to what you would want to do. It looks complicated, indeed, but chances are I don't believe anywhere near as much complexity would be needed for Lila.

I'll try to make the eclass after I'm done with class just for the sake of doing something, perhaps. :P If someone doesn't beat me to it by then, atleast.
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an idea might be using use flags for the themes and colors say for gtk there is the base lila then all the other themes so USE="theme1 theme2 theme3" emerge gtk-lila then if they passed the other themes by USE go head and download them. enlightenment is this way atleast the themes are all optional to install maybe you can snoop around in the ebuild?

so just have a base for bootsplash, gdm/kdm gtk/qt etc... and USE flags for all the other themes available under the lila umbrella...
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not it's going to particularly matter, why does the current lila-artwork ebuild check for openbox-themes to check whether or not to install the openbox themes? I installed them manually and they worked fine without openbox-themes installed.
salmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To summarize I really like the idea of having a tarball for each target application (lila-program-version.tar.gz) this makes our lives easier as well as others. Say fedora or debian or whoever wanted to package Lila for their distro (maybe rebranded or something), with tarballs like these they could easily throw together RPMs or DEBs to suit their needs.

I also like the suggested idea of doing the ebuilds a la gstreamer. Suprisingly our needs match up very well with theirs. One difference, though is that we don't really have a base package that everything else depends on, except maybe backgrounds. Everything else is dependant on having the themeable application installed.

The rest of this is off the top of my head. There will be KDE users who want the GTK themes but not GDM, Gnome Icons, etc. but all Gnome users will want the GTK themes and the Gnome extras. So I'm thinking a GTK theme ebuild, and a seperate Gnome ebuild that depends on the GTK one.

I'm thinking the bootsplash stuff should be installed by default like the backgrounds. It's just a couple files, and trying to pick up every and any situation where the user has a bootsplash-capable kernel is going to get weird.

Those are the only odd situations I can think of. The rest of the ebuilds will only depend on the targeted application (lila-kde requires kde, lila-xmms requires xmms or beep, lila-openbox requires openbox or maybe *box).

Oh and for the record, my opinion is that we should aim for Portage inclusion.
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:
Whether or not it's going to particularly matter, why does the current lila-artwork ebuild check for openbox-themes to check whether or not to install the openbox themes? I installed them manually and they worked fine without openbox-themes installed.

well, because the 'gnome' useflag depends on 'gnome-themes', i figured i do the same for openbox. that might have been a mistake, but it's not gonna matter anymore now, since we're gonna have other ebuilds.
salmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To summarize I really like the idea of having a tarball for each target application (lila-program-version.tar.gz) this makes our lives easier as well as others. Say fedora or debian or whoever wanted to package Lila for their distro (maybe rebranded or something), with tarballs like these they could easily throw together RPMs or DEBs to suit their needs.

I also like the suggested idea of doing the ebuilds a la gstreamer. Suprisingly our needs match up very well with theirs. One difference, though is that we don't really have a base package that everything else depends on, except maybe backgrounds. Everything else is dependant on having the themeable application installed.

The rest of this is off the top of my head. There will be KDE users who want the GTK themes but not GDM, Gnome Icons, etc. but all Gnome users will want the GTK themes and the Gnome extras. So I'm thinking a GTK theme ebuild, and a seperate Gnome ebuild that depends on the GTK one.

I'm thinking the bootsplash stuff should be installed by default like the backgrounds. It's just a couple files, and trying to pick up every and any situation where the user has a bootsplash-capable kernel is going to get weird.

Those are the only odd situations I can think of. The rest of the ebuilds will only depend on the targeted application (lila-kde requires kde, lila-xmms requires xmms or beep, lila-openbox requires openbox or maybe *box).

Oh and for the record, my opinion is that we should aim for Portage inclusion.
Keffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Lila-fied everything in XFCE4 except the window manager. Strangely the default WM theme seems to fit in better than the Lila ones, which is what prompted me to go Lila in the first place.

Great stuff, thanks!

The only thing that seems to be missing is a bash script icon in XFFM.
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much prefer modularity in this case, after careful consideration. The amount of use flags that could exist once Lila becomes more cross-application is massive, and multiple ebuilds that can be updated as their respective artwork is updated will be much easier to maintain.
For example, I only use gnome, so I don't need to update the whole lila ebuild if say something for xfce or openbox3 is updated.
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update from fd.o on the CVS accounts and mailing list:

Daniel Stone wrote:

Hi Tom!
Sorry about the massive delay here - I've been snowed under. I've added
the two people to the repository, and I've set up the basic
infrastructure for the list, but I won't be able to get the list itself
going for a couple of days; we have new listmasters who are working on
some new list stuff.
salmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mailing list would be nice. A lot easier to keep up with than this thread. :wink:
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telex4: that's great news :)

Also, here's a metacity theme everyone can play around with :) (be gentle, I just started learning metacity theming today)
Using this theme we can make a gnome meta-theme now :D

To install the theme, extract it to /usr/share/themes
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea but now that we have a theme going maybe we can condense all the gtk themes into a few with color options "purple (default), red, blue, and green" so say themename-purple/red/blue/green same for icons. I can get all the icons done most likely tomorrow i was working on that, then just figure out the titlebar colors for the red green and blue i was going to do this for myself cause i didn't want to step on anyone's toes doing the themes.

question for dgt:
the lila icons folder in the gtk theme can that be moved to gnome-icons? then all that is in one place and easy to mantain when icons or updated or added then just have lila purple/green/blue/red under the icons tab in themes and just the gtkrc files under the gtk theme?
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, here's a metacity theme everyone can play around with (be gentle, I just started learning metacity theming today)
Using this theme we can make a gnome meta-theme now

Great, I'll update the Gnome metatheme file on the wiki.

The metacity theme looks good, but needs some tweaking though. :)

Gnome metatheme file: here

Just place in /usr/share/themes/Lila and select it from the gnome-theme-manager. :)

I'm almost finished with the page for doing a few translations (the descriptive comment strings). I didn't have a lot of time last week, so it's a little delayed. :oops:
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest release (0.7.1) of the scalable KDE icon theme doesn't contain an index.desktop file, although the python script tries to copy it.
Effect: not usable under KDE.
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it is usefull to have a Bugzilla for the Lila theme collection? Might be easier to track bugs that way.
smithlx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Converted Lila to Blue and Yellow Reply with quote

Ok so I was checking out this thread and liked the theme. However I wasn't crazy about the purple. I really like the Icons. So I hacked it Blue. Then I hacked it Yellow. Then I realized I needed to put together some GTK and Openbox stuff for it. Then I did the backgrounds. Seriously overdid it....
Thanks to all the guys who put all the stuff together it is great.
I used the python/perl tools and gimp 2 to smack this stuff together.
I made some home pages with screenshots.
http://smithlx.org/lila-blue.php
http://smithlx.org/lila-yellow.php

If there are glaring issues or you need credit for art work or need me to remove something because I missed a copyright just email me
bsmith AT SmithlX dot Org
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84:
The Lila Metacity theme seems to slow down dragging windows around considerably; my CPU shoots to 100% and redrawing existing windows lags behind. I'm not sure what is causing this problem, but perhaps performance can be improved by using external SVG buttons instead of drawing them from within the Metacity XML file?

I don't see this performance problem with other Metacity files.
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the lila-eclass? has someone tried to do one?
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snooper wrote:
Just an idea but now that we have a theme going maybe we can condense all the gtk themes into a few with color options "purple (default), red, blue, and green" so say themename-purple/red/blue/green same for icons. I can get all the icons done most likely tomorrow i was working on that, then just figure out the titlebar colors for the red green and blue i was going to do this for myself cause i didn't want to step on anyone's toes doing the themes.

Which themes are you suggesting we condense to? There really are too many variations... /me wishes GTK could color on the fly :(
Snooper wrote:
question for dgt:
the lila icons folder in the gtk theme can that be moved to gnome-icons? then all that is in one place and easy to mantain when icons or updated or added then just have lila purple/green/blue/red under the icons tab in themes and just the gtkrc files under the gtk theme?

I've thought about it... traditionally gtk themes are stored in /usr/share/themes, and the current Lila-gtk themes use a single iconrc file with all the icons which is stored in the original Lila theme's gtk-2.0 folder. One problem I've thought of is that we can't know if the user installs the icons in /usr/share or their own home...
smithlx wrote:
Ok so I was checking out this thread and liked the theme. However I wasn't crazy about the purple. I really like the Icons. So I hacked it Blue. Then I hacked it Yellow. Then I realized I needed to put together some GTK and Openbox stuff for it. Then I did the backgrounds. Seriously overdid it....

Nice job :)
Freak_NL wrote:
The Lila Metacity theme seems to slow down dragging windows around considerably; my CPU shoots to 100% and redrawing existing windows lags behind. I'm not sure what is causing this problem, but perhaps performance can be improved by using external SVG buttons instead of drawing them from within the Metacity XML file?

That is very strange... I see what you mean, but I don't see why this would be happening.
scaba wrote:
what about the lila-eclass? has someone tried to do one?

Not yet to my knowledge

I've also been working on a better metacity theme, since I don't like the first one I made that much :roll: Currently I've been playing around with this: http://programmer-art.org/files/gentoo/metacity-theme-1.xml
What do you think?

Oh, and Freak_NL, I did some rendering speed comparisons using metacity-theme-viewer with these results (for rendering a single window frame, times in milliseconds):
My original Lila theme: 16.5ms
My newer Lila theme: 12.6ms
Atlanta: 2.4ms
Bluecurve: 31.5ms
Industrial: 30.9ms
Simple: 4.8ms
Smokey: 22.6ms

I don't think my themes compare all that bad to the others :wink:
I also don't have the slowdown problems that you pointed out with this newer theme of mine, can you confirm this?
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That xml page displays nothing at all really. I'd like to see the theme (unless that is the theme?).

EDIT: got it, didnt realise it needed the folder structure.
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a FYI, I've been working on an eclass for the past few days (and actually learning how to make an ebuild/eclass in the process) and I've finally got some semblance of a working ebuild.

Lila ebuild, eclassized.. lila.eclass along with a eclassized GTK+ and GNOME theme ebuilds that utilize the eclass.

Since this is my first ebuild that wasn't just a retool of another ebuild, it's probably hardly elegant, but it seems to work with what little I've tested it so far.

It has a little configuration options in the shape of variables.
It gets the filename like this Lila-<cut -d'-' -f'3-'>-version.tar.gz/bz2. So for the GTK+ theme, you'll have to rename it to Lila-gtk+-0.3.tar.bz2 for it to work out of the box. The Lila GNOME theme should work out of the box with no modifications, however.

But as I said, it's semi-configurable via two variables.
BASEDIR -- base directory where it'll install to. Defaults to /usr/share/themes.
INSTALLAS -- if you compress a given theme without a directory structure, you can use this variable to change what directory it installs to. Defaults to "Lila-x" where x is "liila-artwork-x" in the ebuild name. Set INSTALLAS to _null if you just want the ebuild to copy the directory structure as-is to BASEDIR.

Feel free to change it, modify it or do whatever you want with it. :)

EDIT: Oh, and lila-artwork-gtk+-industrial doesn't work, so don't try it. :P
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also don't have the slowdown problems that you pointed out with this newer theme of mine, can you confirm this?

So far I only tried the theme on my desktop computer, but all themes except Lila Metacity 0.1 respond normally. What I'm seeing is a noticable slow down in dragging windows around whilst overlapping other windows. I'll check out the theme's behaviour on my laptop aswell as my brother's computer tomorrow. It might just be a glitch in my system.

I tried the metacity-theme-viewer tool aswell, my results are largely the same as yours though. :(
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 24 of 43

Jump to: