View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sMeAgOl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: KDM & GDM don't work! Reply with quote

Hi
My problem is I just have compiled both KDE and Gnome, and when I try to access to any of these desktops from KDM or GDM, I only get a blank screen for a few seconds and then it returns to the DM I have run. The only way to access is configuring /etc/rc.conf and running XDM. I have compiled my Gentoo from Stage1 and gcc34 profile, and I have nptl support in glibc. My CFLAGS are:
Code:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer"

Can anybody help me? Thanks.
TheBigBug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the desktop guides? And, also very important, does X start? I need more information to be more precise with my answer.

<edit>
I just found this topic. The problem sounds like yours. Maybe it can help!
</edit>
Horatio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basicly when you have kdm as your display manager you can't start a gnome session, and vice versa, when you have gdm as your display manager you can't start a kde session.
MasquedAvenger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post, but I just want to point out that the last statement about GDM not being able to load a KDE session is completely ridiculous, just for the record in case anybody searching the forums comes across this thread.

James
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasquedAvenger wrote:
I know this is an old post, but I just want to point out that the last statement about GDM not being able to load a KDE session is completely ridiculous, just for the record in case anybody searching the forums comes across this thread.

James

Instead of your rude comment you could have just corrected the person. Here.. I'll do it...

You can launch Gnome from kdm and KDE from gdm.
Horatio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I had a problem w/ this in the past after upgrading to gnome 2.6, but yes gdm is loading my kde-3.3.0 session. I did follow this post https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=223621 suggestion of adding a /etc/X11/dm/Sessions/kde-3.3.0.desktop first before trying again. Good, because I'd like to become more familar w/ gnome. Also, I like the "new login in nested window" feature gdm can provide.

If anything I don't want to mislead people. Sorry again if I'm provoking someone's bad day.
MasquedAvenger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, of course not :) I didn't mean to come off as sounding rude or angered in anyway and I apologize if I did. I just wanted to add a little note to the end of the thread just so that in case anybody new to Gentoo happened to wander upon the thread before reading anything else about GDM they wouldn't think you couldn't add a KDE session.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: