sudo rox /
but it isn't safer way
MG-Cloud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
MG-Cloud wrote:

This didn't work, so I tried moving /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc to ~/.config/xfce4 and editing the xfwm4 line to show:

Quote:

xfwm4 --daemon --disable-compositor --compositor=off

but that didn't work either. I also tried editing the one in /etc/xdg/xfce4, to the same effect.

a ps aux output only shows a display and sm parameter to xfwm4.

Any suggestions? Perhaps some of the config files are treated differently in gentoo? *shrugs*

Anyways, any help would be appreciated as this DE really rocks and I would love to use it as my default.
Actually, Xfce 4.2 (as of the first beta, I think) saves your session, so that the same applications that were open and running when you quit open and run when you start your session, including things like your panel, desktop manager, and the window manager. Try resetting your session by doing an `rm -rf $HOME/.cache/*` and then when you nex run Xfce 4 (via startxfce4 or what-have-you), it will reset itself to the default session in $HOME/.config/xfce4/xinitrc or /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc if your user does not have their own $HOME/.config/xfce4/xinitrc file. Alternatively, you can rebuild xfwm4 without compositor support by running `USE="-compositor" emerge xfwm4` as root.

Cool, thanks. I tried this, and it still didn't work though ;) I actually figured out why - and that's because xfce4-session was being run in xinitrc and then it would just exit before even getting to xfwm4. So I stuck the xfwm4 line before xfce4-session and it was being run with the correct parameters. However, I'm still having the problem with the desktop menu not disappearing after I exit it!

There is no "compositor" use flag for xfwm4 :(
andrewski
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys could always go ask configuration questions on forum.xfce.org.

I'm jus' sayin'....
emorphix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@wong

Thanks for your post.

However I have used sudo with nautilus before and that never gave me an issue.

I tried what you suggested with xhost + and sudo rox
when I run xhost +

it gives me a message stating
Code:
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host

I emerged gksu to see if that would give me what I wanted but that did not seem to work.

Like I said I'm able to launch su -c rox / from a terminal and that works without a problem.

Just want to do it from the panel.
Created By Gentoo Users
tuppe666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of quick questions is Termial http://www.os-cillation.com/article.php?sid=40 going to be part of xfce4.

I'm using rox as file manager at the moment I just wondered if there was anyway of running a rox desktop with this?

I'm trying to find a gtk(no glib) based archive manager an currently have found none. I just wondered if anyone knew of any?
GenKreton
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: icons Reply with quote

I can't get most of the icons to work in this release...My Settings Manger shows only the panel and file manager icons, none of the others. The results of the icons failing can also be seen in other places such as the right click menu. Kind of annoying. I re-emerged it all (I was sleeping anyways) and it didn't fix it.

Anyone else know why this is or having the same problem?

Yes I did update from xfce 4.0.* and have been following all of the beta's and this is the first one to introduce this problem.
tuppe666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok terminal is part of portage now :D now all I need is that elusive archive manager and I'm set.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuppe666 wrote:
Ok terminal is part of portage now :D now all I need is that elusive archive manager and I'm set.
File-Roller maybe? Though it does tend to have a lot of GNOME deps, which may scare people away. I quite like it however. =)
tuppe666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

File-roller is belting although a gtk+ 7-zip would be what I want for Christmas.

Its just I'm on a diet on my machine.

I moved from gedit to katoob(which was a pleasant surprise btw).
M@rijn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: icons Reply with quote

GenKreton wrote:
I can't get most of the icons to work in this release...My Settings Manger shows only the panel and file manager icons, none of the others. The results of the icons failing can also be seen in other places such as the right click menu. Kind of annoying. I re-emerged it all (I was sleeping anyways) and it didn't fix it.

Anyone else know why this is or having the same problem?

Yes I did update from xfce 4.0.* and have been following all of the beta's and this is the first one to introduce this problem.

same problem here, do you have also probs with xfce4-panel? It won't start here (GTK segmentation fault on gtkcontainer.c or something).
GenKreton
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The panel starts but, with only a few exceptions, most of my icons were defined by me there. But that doesn't even sound like it is the root cause of the problem.
GenKreton
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in the new release, scrolling a window that is focused, but not on top raises it, so I am assuming XFCE now treats scrolling as clicking, is there any way to turn this off?
M@rijn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My menu doesn't update right, Openoffce, Xine, GFTP etc. will not be shown in my menu, xfce4-appfinder doesn't see them either. What the prob?
seppe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuppe666 wrote:
Just a couple of quick questions is Termial http://www.os-cillation.com/article.php?sid=40 going to be part of xfce4.

I'm using rox as file manager at the moment I just wondered if there was anyway of running a rox desktop with this?

I'm trying to find a gtk(no glib) based archive manager an currently have found none. I just wondered if anyone knew of any?

Where do I find that Terminal in portage? I don't see it :(

Latest release I made: 2.6.13.2-nitro1
seppe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind, I found it .. it's hard masked :)

Latest release I made: 2.6.13.2-nitro1
ZothOmmog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a question for anybody using this...

I originally had torsmo start automatically with Enlightenment before I switched to this new RC by inserting
Code:
torsmo &
into /etc/X11/Sessions/enlightenment. When I try this in XFCE, I see torsmo displayed in the few seconds before XFCE kicks in, but then it's covered by whatever manner XFCE uses to draw on the root window. Starting torsmo from a command prompt works just fine. Does anybody know of a way to get Torsmo to start automatically with XFCE and actually work?
dl1vr8r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenKreton wrote:
Also in the new release, scrolling a window that is focused, but not on top raises it, so I am assuming XFCE now treats scrolling as clicking, is there any way to turn this off?

This was the first thing that I noticed on upgrading to RC1 from beta2. I desperately need this to be switched back to the old behavior. I have looked in XFCE bugzilla and the XFCE forums and I have seen no mention of it. Surely we aren't the only two to have noticed it?

I'm assuming that it's a bug, but if it's still in 4.2 final I will have to raise a stink.
s4kk3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dl1vr8r wrote:
GenKreton wrote:

This was the first thing that I noticed on upgrading to RC1 from beta2. I desperately need this to be switched back to the old behavior. I have looked in XFCE bugzilla and the XFCE forums and I have seen no mention of it. Surely we aren't the only two to have noticed it?

I'm assuming that it's a bug, but if it's still in 4.2 final I will have to raise a stink.

I haven't noticed this so far. Using newest xfce for week now.
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else is having problems loading $HOME/.Xmodmap when XFCE4 starts? I start XFCE4 with startx, after creating a script /etc/X11/Sessions/xfce4 with
Code:
/usr/bin/startxfce4

and putting XSESSION="xfce4" in rc.conf, but xmodmap is not loaded. If I put XSESSION="fluxbox", my custom Xmodmap loads ok.

It's very weird, because the script that launches xfce4, /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc, has this line:
Code:
test -r $HOME/.Xmodmap && xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap

I even changed that line to
Code:
test -r $HOME/.Xmodmap && xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap && echo "XMODMAP LOADED"

and surely, the message XMODMAP LOADED appears when I write startx. But my Xmodmap is NOT loaded, the mouse buttons are all swapped, and I have to load it in a terminal once inside xfce4.

I also tried by creating a .xinitrc in my home with
Code:
xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap
exec startxfce4

but that didn't help.

Any idea? Thanks.
abager
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ZothOmmog, i've solved your problem by putting this line in my ~/.xfce4/xinitrc

[code]sleep 2 && torsmo&[/code]

This solves the first problem, but i don't know if this is the right way to address this problem. Torsmo is displayed fine enough, but it sometimes dissappear. If somebody has got this same problem, and prefferably an sollution please feel free to reply!

Hep abager
ptitoine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello

i'am using xfce 4.2 RC1 since few days and i don't known how to do not halt the system when clicking the power off button, i want to stop X and xfce only

any idea ?

thanks
wong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dl1vr8r wrote:
GenKreton wrote:

/me too :?

i really like the old behavior
Pip101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wong wrote:
dl1vr8r wrote:
GenKreton wrote:

Solution here. Which of course means it's a feature and not a bug.
GenKreton
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pip101 wrote:
wong wrote:
dl1vr8r wrote:
GenKreton wrote:

Solution here. Which of course means it's a feature and not a bug.

retarded feature, but thank you for the solution.

Now only if all my icons showed up in things like the settings manager.
Pip101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenKreton wrote:
retarded feature, but thank you for the solution.

Now only if all my icons showed up in things like the settings manager.

Yeah, I'd prefer it without, but never mind. And there's discussion about the icons issue on the Xfce4-dev mailing list at the moment, in this thread. Bug reference here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: