Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Howto/Support UPDATED 3/25/05! OLD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iiburukibun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I go about renice in Xgame? It doesn't like my extermly long commands at all. :roll:

WINEDEBUG=-all wine /home/soldat/programs/World\ of\ Warcraft/WoW.exe -opengl & sleep 5 && renice 19 `ps -f -C wine-preloader |grep WoW.exe | awk '{print $2}'`

I know I can remove /home/soldat/ etc but then Xgame won't find WoW.exe, I think at this point i'll just write a script :roll:

Edit:

Nevermind I got it, might help if I didn't allready have a winesever running in the background.

wine /home/soldat/programs/World\ of\ Warcraft/WoW.exe -opengl & sleep 5 && renice 19 `ps -f -C wine-preloader |grep WoW.exe | awk '{print $2}'`

http://xgame.tlhiv.com/ if you want more info on Xgame, it allows you to easly start more X interfaces for Games, etc.
PZoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modded a LIFLG start-up script for WoW... edit to your heart's content

Code:

#!/bin/sh

# The game binary
GAME_BINARY="WoW.exe"

# Which wine do you want to use?
WINE_NAMES="wine"

if [ -z "$WINE_EXEC" ]
then
   WINE_EXEC=`type -p $WINE_NAMES | head -n 1`
fi

if [ -e "$WINE_EXEC" ]
then
   cd '/home/zidane2010/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft'
   $WINE_EXEC $GAME_BINARY -opengl "$@" &
   sleep 2 &&
   renice 15 -p `pgrep wineserver`
else
   echo "Wine not in your PATH"
   exit 1
fi

i can't run it in Xgame, so i just get it to open xterm, and i run the script from there (symlinked in /usr/bin)
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Try 3 patch for WoW + wine seems to break the minimap again... it causes a crash immediately after the character selection screen and loading screen. Try 2 + fixwow patches did work fine for me with wine-20050310 however....

@legine: good summary... I was too lazy to google for the links myself, so thanks! :)
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working with people to resolve this, but in the mean while, just follow the directions on the front page. Hell, you can even just use the wine 20050310 source tarball instead of cvs. It doesn't matter one bit.

Until this gets fixed though, just sit tight and stick with the options which do work.
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd let you know that there is a fix out for Cedega so you can use OpenGL again:

http://transgaming.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2452&highlight=warcraft

I looked through the last couple days posts but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere... I apologize if this is a dupe.

Friedmud
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the xgame/new xserver for WoW business, is there something you have to do to use 3D acceleration in the 2nd Xserver? I'm using ATI's fglrx drivers, and the 2nd xserver gets started fine, but is lacking 3D acceleration. Or is it just because my 9600Pro only has one accelerated framebuffer?
Waywocket
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iiburukibun wrote:
How would I go about renice in Xgame? It doesn't like my extermly long commands at all. :roll:

WINEDEBUG=-all wine /home/soldat/programs/World\ of\ Warcraft/WoW.exe -opengl & sleep 5 && renice 19 `ps -f -C wine-preloader |grep WoW.exe | awk '{print $2}'`

You probably don't need all this after all. I came up with that big line because "nice -n 19 wine ..." didn't seem to work for me, but since it works for everybody else I'm guessing I probably just mistyped it the first time. Probably typed nice -n 1 by mistake or something :oops: .
Waywocket
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_enigma wrote:
With the xgame/new xserver for WoW business, is there something you have to do to use 3D acceleration in the 2nd Xserver? I'm using ATI's fglrx drivers, and the 2nd xserver gets started fine, but is lacking 3D acceleration. Or is it just because my 9600Pro only has one accelerated framebuffer?

Should be fine. I only looked at Xgame briefly, but it looked to have an option to use a different X config file than your default - are you sure that's set up correctly? As a test, does it work if you switch to a console any run "X :1"? This should give you a bare X server. What I usually do is "X :1&", then after that X server has started switch back to the console I launched it from, and type "DISPLAY=:1 xterm", just to get a terminal window in the new session, and do what I want from there.
Iiburukibun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info on differen't X servers :D
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fixed the minimap crash with Wine, and posted the patch. Please see http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2814#c49

It works on my system, whereas the "try 3" patch caused a minimap failure immediately after the login and loading screens.
Waywocket
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Septor wrote:
I just fixed the minimap crash with Wine, and posted the patch. Please see http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2814#c49

It works on my system, whereas the "try 3" patch caused a minimap failure immediately after the login and loading screens.

Do you run the game fullscreen or in a window? I've just discovered that, with the previous pair of patches (I think it was try 2 and another fix) I have no problems in windowed mode, but in fullscreen mode I need to close the minimap before going indoors else 80% of the time it causes the game to freeze, and I need to switch out and back again. When I do this the minimap is garbled and if I try to move before closing it I have to switcrh back again.
For one thing, has anybody else experienced this? If not I guess nobody would know, but is this patch likely to fix the problem? Guess I'll find out soon enough...

Edit: Grr. I *still* can't install WoW patches. BNupdate.exe just sits there forever for me. Am I really the only one getting this?

Edit2: Copied from another installation - no change. I still have the minimap problem. Doesn't work any worse with this patch though - I presume it's just because try 3 was exactly the same as the previous patches, but written more correctly(?)
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried both fullscreen and windowed mode, and both it worked fine for me.

So my try 4 patch was not an improvement over the try 3 patch for you? It might depend on your video card, but for ATI radeon cards using the binary driver, I think "try 4" is necessary... the nVidia drivers might be more forgiving which is why try_3 works for some...?
Waywocket
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Septor wrote:
I tried both fullscreen and windowed mode, and both it worked fine for me.

So my try 4 patch was not an improvement over the try 3 patch for you? It might depend on your video card, but for ATI radeon cards using the binary driver, I think "try 4" is necessary... the nVidia drivers might be more forgiving which is why try_3 works for some...?

Well I skipped straight from try2 + the extra fix it needed to try4, since people had those problems with try3, and it seems the same. It's possible that it's a little different now - I seem to be able to move around indoors with the minimap open when I'm in, so I only have to switch out and back again once and then the minimap works, but that happened occasionally before so it could be coincidence. I am using an nVidia card BTW.
Anyway, it's happily playable, so it's not too much of a problem
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try 4 worked well here. Well, it still crashed, but I think that's to do with ATI drivers for some reason ..

Anyone else with ATI and wine, can you monitor your memory usage while playing? For me, the memory usage keeps increasing till it crashes when there's hardly any left. Could be another memory leak, like the one in NWN?
zaai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply can't get wine working with opengl, tried a lot of things include emerge -e system, rebuilding kernel, etc. glxgears works fine at 2900 and wine does work with firefox.
The way I build wine is I get the wine-20050310 from portage, apply the patches and run ./configure. configure gives me this:
Quote:
checking GL/gl.h usability... yes
checking GL/gl.h presence... yes
checking for GL/gl.h... yes
checking GL/glx.h usability... yes
checking GL/glx.h presence... yes
checking for GL/glx.h... yes
checking for GL/glext.h... yes
checking for up-to-date OpenGL version... yes
checking for glXCreateContext in -lGL... no
checking for gluLookAt in -lGLU... no
checking for glutMainLoop in -lglut... no
checking audio/audiolib.h usability... yes

The line "checking for glXcreateContext in -IGL .. no" worries me a bit, is this the cause of the problem?

Update:
Finally got wine to recognize opengl :)
The problem? (I think) when using gentoo kernel-2.6.11, then emerging nvidia-kernel/glx doesn't generate 32-bit libraries.
After reverting back to 2.6.9 with nvidia 6629 wine's configure shows
Quote:
checking for glXCreateContext in -lGL... yes
checking for gluLookAt in -lGLU... yes

I rebuild wine and ... it crashes with a segmentation fault *sigh*
Quote:
$ wine: creating configuration directory '/home/henk/.wine'...
/usr/local/bin/wineprefixcreate: line 168: 5483 Segmentation fault ${WINELOADER:-wine} rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 wine.inf
wine: wineprefixcreate failed while creating '/home/henk/.wine'.

Athlon64 X2 4800+ on Asus M2N SLI deluxe with 4GB Dual channel
video nVidia GForce 7300 GS 512MB (snail); xorg-7.2
kernel 2.6.24-gentoo-r3
mooch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zouzou, I think you need to set your color depth on your X server to 24 bit.
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note, I haven't been paying much attention to this, because I finally took the plunge. I've beening WoW fine now for a few hours at a time, using Cedega 4.3 and OpenGL. So something is amiss with wine which made WoW crash before.
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have been noticing this as well... Cedega works fine, but Wine-20050310 + patches crashes after a little while (between 10-30 min usually).

Another interesting factoid: if I don't "nice -n 19" wine-preloader then my keyboard keys act sticky sometimes... almost like key-up events are getting lost. Using nice seems to fix it though (as well as the sound issues).
Waywocket
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I've been running the game in my primary X server (I hadn't before because of hotkey conflicts with KDE), and it doesn't have any of the minimap problems I've had with running it in a different X server, for some reason. Now the only problem I have is with targetting circles, otherwise it runs perfectly. I can run for many hours at a time without crashing. This is with Wine CVS as of a few days ago, plus the Try4 patch.
Everyone having problems - are you using an ATI video card by any chance?
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy fix to the cursor problem is to turn of the harware cursor. You can do this in the video options. This will get you the default WoW cursor instead of the X cursor. Also, you do not need to use wowfix for this to work.

would Big Brother become a reality?

Yeah . . . it would be just like the tv show. Except somebody would be watching.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I can not toggle hardwarecursor. It is greyed out.
Any other Idea what to do?
flaZh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's grayed out even with Cedegas hotfix now. And it lags so darn much. I had like 20-30 fps, and now I'm down to like 15-20, and the game is also down to 3fps in towns. lIke not playable and enjoyable. Anyone?

Can't use Wine as the sound is choppy.
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waywocket wrote:
Recently I've been running the game in my primary X server (I hadn't before because of hotkey conflicts with KDE), and it doesn't have any of the minimap problems I've had with running it in a different X server, for some reason. Now the only problem I have is with targetting circles, otherwise it runs perfectly. I can run for many hours at a time without crashing. This is with Wine CVS as of a few days ago, plus the Try4 patch.
Everyone having problems - are you using an ATI video card by any chance?

I use ATI, and it's fine under Cedega, crashes after 10-20mins under Wine.
Iiburukibun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed to, that when I run WoW on a differen't X server, I have minimap problems, even with the Try5 patch.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaZh do you run wine with nice?

EDIT: And how are your settings in WoW(Terrain distance...) and Wine (managed/unmanaged)?
What Computer do you have?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: