Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Howto/Support UPDATED 3/25/05! OLD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flaZh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, don't understand half of your questions, I'm sorry.
It ran perfectly fine before, and it does in Windows(cept I get a huge lag there, that's why I'm running it in Linux).
It runs nice in wine, but it's still no hardware cursor, and as I said, the sound is too choppy, so I have to turn it off.
So I prefer using Cedega.
I got Wine off the cvs and I applied the two patches, of course.
The settings in WoW is at a minimum, terrain is slightly on and texture details is maxed, that's it.

I'm running the latest nvidia drivers.
r0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys i've got the following problem, i managed to run WoW with wine-cvs (with texture corruptions) but if i filter out the "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object" extension the comp hangs after few secs at the login screen.
Same happens with cedega.

Why ?:(
i use an ati card (9600xt) and latest fglrx drivers.

Thanx in advance
The New Guy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0 wrote:
hi guys i've got the following problem, i managed to run WoW with wine-cvs (with texture corruptions) but if i filter out the "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object" extension the comp hangs after few secs at the login screen.
Same happens with cedega.

Why ?:(
i use an ati card (9600xt) and latest fglrx drivers.

Thanx in advance

They've been discussing this issue a lot on the transgaming forums. It's apparently an ATI *cough* crapcards *cough* video card issue. No one seems to have a solution as far as I have read, but I may be wrong.
Windows-free since Feb. 12, 2005
Registered Linux User #386012
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap cards and buggy drivers are two different things... as far as hardware ATI is great... it is their drivers that are lagging behind. They are certainly improving in this area lately as well.

r0: Make sure you have "UseFastTLS" set to "2" in your xorg.conf. Try using the wine-20050310 build in portage with the try_5 patch listed above... you might have hit a CVS problem. wine-20050310 + try_5 patch works pretty well for me.
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaZh wrote:
It's grayed out even with Cedegas hotfix now. And it lags so darn much. I had like 20-30 fps, and now I'm down to like 15-20, and the game is also down to 3fps in towns. lIke not playable and enjoyable. Anyone?

Can't use Wine as the sound is choppy.

That's strange. I have the default cedega installation, havn't touched anything in the config file. The harddware cursor option was not greyed out. I have absolutely no problems with the minimap. The only thing I've noticed is that textures sometimes gets swapped out and the tranparency on trees dosn't work 100% of the time.

EDIT: I have a Geforce 5200.

would Big Brother become a reality?

Yeah . . . it would be just like the tv show. Except somebody would be watching.
Waywocket
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nempo wrote:

That's strange. I have the default cedega installation, havn't touched anything in the config file. The harddware cursor option was not greyed out.

Can somebody explain to me what the hardware cursor option does? The option's grey for me, so presumably I haven't got one, but my in-game cursor looks exactly the same as playing in Windows - and yet some people have said they find this an important issue, so I'm a little confused...
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can somebody explain to me what the hardware cursor option does? The option's grey for me, so presumably I haven't got one, but my in-game cursor looks exactly the same as playing in Windows - and yet some people have said they find this an important issue, so I'm a little confused...

It sets if your courser is calculated by your graphic card or by your by Software (Infact then by your CPU). The fact that it is grayed out could mean that the support for a hardware curser is missing in wine...
Or it could mean that WoW does not find the driverconnection to hwcoursers...
or it is activated and no softwarecoursor?
I do not know that much about wine to tell you this :(
Normaly the appearence should not be affected.

@flaZh
From what you write i see that you do not use nice (bc you would know about this then).
Start wow with:
nice -n 19 wine wow.exe
(look above for other ways to do this. There is a way with useing renice... but nice works for me very good)

this means that wine gets lowest priority in Linux. With that option the Software Sound Emulation should get enough calculation time to produce correct sounds. I do not know anything about Cadega. So I do not know if it works fine there.
If thats not enough you have to:
- switch of sound
or
- reduce Terrein Distance

For lags. As far as I know are the trade, load and other lags server based. Wine works just better in one way then the Windows version (as far as I know). The Case hits when a lot of players come to one place. Windows waits for the ppl-Information before letting you move onwards. Wine shows you information when it has the stuff.
Thats at least what I know.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waywocket: Hardware cursor merely means that your graphics card renders the cursor instead of your cpu. This can result in speedups at times, but also has the possibility to create a glitchy cursor (such as in X if you have a nonstandard hw cursor on with an nvidia card). At the moment, Wine does not support the hardware cursor in WoW. It's being looked at. Cedega has support for hardware cursors.

flaZh: At the moment, the sound will be fairly awful in Wine no matter what you do. I recommend that you either disable it in the wine config (only disabling it in game WILL NOT work, and will only cause the game to stutter silently. Use cedega if you really want sound.

I'll be updating the howto in a few days with better information as to development progress, but for now all I can do is change it to refer to the correct patches.

EDIT:
Also, you won't want to renice wine to a lower priority (n<0) when running WoW. This will result in system instability, and you might get lockups resulting when WoW takes a long time to load something. Not only that, but nice -n 19 sets it to the LOWEST priority, in which case it will reduce your performance. Leave wine at its normal priority. If you want to increase your performance, turn off sound in your wine config with
Code:
[WinMM]
"Drivers" = ""
and then turn down all of your graphics settings. If you're playing fullscreen, try my resolution fix on the first page.
Waywocket
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
Waywocket: Hardware cursor merely means that your graphics card renders the cursor instead of your cpu. This can result in speedups at times, but also has the possibility to create a glitchy cursor (such as in X if you have a nonstandard hw cursor on with an nvidia card). At the moment, Wine does not support the hardware cursor in WoW. It's being looked at. Cedega has support for hardware cursors.

Okay. I wondered if it made a visual difference since people were complaining about it being such a big issue. If it's just a minor performance thing then meh...
Quote:

flaZh: At the moment, the sound will be fairly awful in Wine no matter what you do. I recommend that you either disable it in the wine config (only disabling it in game WILL NOT work, and will only cause the game to stutter silently. Use cedega if you really want sound.

I'll be updating the howto in a few days with better information as to development progress, but for now all I can do is change it to refer to the correct patches.

EDIT:
Also, you won't want to renice wine to a lower priority (n<0) when running WoW. This will result in system instability, and you might get lockups resulting when WoW takes a long time to load something. Not only that, but nice -n 19 sets it to the LOWEST priority, in which case it will reduce your performance. Leave wine at its normal priority. If you want to increase your performance, turn off sound in your wine config with
Code:
[WinMM]
"Drivers" = ""
and then turn down all of your graphics settings. If you're playing fullscreen, try my resolution fix on the first page.

This is wrong. (When you say lower priority I assume you mean higher, since n<0 is higher, and n>0 is lower. There's no way lowering the priority of a process should affect system stability; if this happens then something's seriously wrong with your system.) Renicing to 19 will only be a problem if you want to run other programs at the same time. If you're not running anything else then Wine will still get the processing time. With the priority lowered, the wine-preloader process that runs the game no longer steals the cycles needed to get the sound to work properly.
Since running the game at -n 19, my sound has been perfect in all but a few minor cases.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By lower, I meant that it's a lower number. As for stability, try running WoW at -19 and see if you can still easily use other things while it's open. I have a habit of utilizing the full capability of my computer, meaning that I run lots of apps simultaneously in conjunction with WoW. Renicing it causes this to work very poorly.

EDIT: just noticed that I had the wrong patch directions. Now fixed.
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried ATIs new drivers (8.12.10) with VBO enabled? I'm at work at the moment, but I'll try tonight with cedega and wine. I wonder if it will fix my crash issues with wine as well. Not that it really matters, cedega seems much better, and the sound works :)
Waywocket
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
By lower, I meant that it's a lower number. As for stability, try running WoW at -19 and see if you can still easily use other things while it's open. I have a habit of utilizing the full capability of my computer, meaning that I run lots of apps simultaneously in conjunction with WoW. Renicing it causes this to work very poorly.

I can quite happily have any number of programs open, within memory constraints, but I don't run anything that needs to use the processor while I'm not using it - at least not while I'm trying to play a high system demand game. I don't think anybody's suggested running the game at a *high* priority, aside from possibly a couple of misunderstandings - for one thing that would destroy the sound, and I agree that giving above normal priority to anything that will use the processor like WoW is a really bad idea. Please believe me, or shut down anything you have that consumes processing time when it isn't actively being used, and try it yourself - giving the game the lowest possible priority fixes the sound, at least for me, with no performance penalty.
Bobrepuss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: config file Reply with quote

It seems like lots of us, especially those running Ati cant change graphics settings without the game crashing and not remembering the changes we have made, so for a few things we need to use the config file. So if you are in the same boat as me and cant get resolution changes etc to work here are the commands for World Of WarCraftWTF/Config.wtf :

SET gxFixLag "0"
SET gxRefresh "60"
SET gxVSync "0"
SET mapShadows "0"
SET gxColorBits "24"
SET gxDepthBits "24"
SET gxResolution "1024x768"
SET ffx "0

There are lots of others but these are most of the ones which crash if i try to change them within options.. on MY setup
psolyca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, with the try 6 patch on wine 20050310 I got the same problem as reported here :

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2814#c69

But when I use fixwow and opengl32 fix, I got no problem.
I did not try the wine-cvs.

Kernel 2.6.11-r5
Nvidia 7174
Wine 20050310

EDIT: I got the same error with the CVS and the try6 patch :-(
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I am confused.
What is High and what is low Priority to you now?
As far as I am informed 19 is the lowest (most unimportant) static priority I can give an Process.
-20 is the highest (most important) static priority.

since I am saing with giving wow a priority of 19 it gets the lowest static Priority and with that the sound system has a higher priority and is favoured over Wow (like everything else is)
Of course if you do more thinks at once you have to think which Priorities do the other Processes have in relationship to Wow.
It should be enough to run Wow with a niceness fromm 10 or 6. It should give the same Performance result as running it with 19. Other need the same or lower static priority.

Instead of renicing WoW we could renice the soundsystem. This would be more elegant and easier to maintain, but I do not know how to find the Process number of the sound system.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legine: That's because the "sound system" doesn't have a pid (unless you're running esd or arts). Alsa runs on its drivers, and that's it. Changing the priority of processes (including WoW's priority) should not make a huge difference. Making it a more negative priority might eliminate a few sound glitches here and there, but you won't fix it completely because wine still has sound issues. Process priority will not change that. Of course, if you make it a more positive priority, you will most likely amplify any existing issues and cause more problems to arise.

Leave wine at its normal nice value. If sound doesn't work and you aren't satisfied, use cedega or turn off the sound. Somehow I doubt that having sound enabled allows you to play the game that much differently anyway. I mean, I've never had my sound enabled after the first few weeks and I still find tons of good stuff and can PvP very effectively, not to mention that I have an epic mount. Clearly sound was not a factor there ;).
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this should be correct. But why do i have almost no clitches?
Sound is nice here. I do use alsa. But no sound system like arts or esound.
Okey. The way I remebered it I had tons of clitches when I used the winealsa.dll. switching to the wineoss.dll reduced them a bit.
I changed to managed by X mode this reduced a lot of clitches, but I had problems with the fullscreen mode, so i play in windowed mode.
the last tweak I have done is to nicen the hole process to a low priority. With that the clitches almost disapeared. (I hear somtimes something, but it can be ignored)
Maybe it is the complete combination I use!? :)

[EDIT]I never tried a higher Priority. It worked very well with a lower one ! [/EDIT]

Okey it is not perfect but very playable, with sound.
But to be sure I will check it out tonight again which modifications make sound behavior better. :)
Waywocket
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the priority issue with sound is a more complex one than you think - I suspect the problem is caused by a difference between the way Windows schedules multi-threaded applications and the way Linux (and therefore Wine) does. After a brief search, some links which may be of relevence (and may help anybody interested to look further):
http://winehq.org/?issue=269#CAP_SYS_NICE%20&%20Win32%20Thread%20Priorities
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2005/01/0213.html
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2005/01/0431.html
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thanks :)
shi^Yo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Water Transparency and Gamma settings Reply with quote

I 've been following the thread for two months and I would like to say a big thank you to all of you for keeping us enjoying WOW without dual booting.

Now to cut to the chase, what I ve been looking for is this:
1) Water Transparency on large water areas e.g. sea and big lakes (small lakes seem to be transparent). When I am above the water i cannot see what's below and when i am underwater i cannot see whats above (ok, i ve defined transparency for u :P ) I m using cedega 4.2.1 (d3d) with ati-drivers 8.10.19 and xorg-x11 6.8.2-r1 if that matters. Is the water related to the death effect that I have set off and pixel-shaders? I 've seen the line mentioning about water slowdowns on the howto but I don't think that concerns my case.

2) I cannot change the gamma settings from the game menu and the game is dark when entering houses or caves. I dont believe I ve experienced the same darkness on the game while trying it on windooze. Is there anything to do to enable that setting? or perhaps a manual entrie to be put on some of the configs to set a higher value.

Keep up the good work. As soon as wine gets fully operational and updated on portage i ll move to that.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) dont know.
2) try to set a different Gammalvl on X.
Thats at least what I do. I cannot help you how you can do it bc I use the NVIDIA Tool. Maybe ATI has something similar :)
shi^Yo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the problem with gamma is that the rest of my X is fine, there are some tools provided by ATI, haven't use them though. If I make a global change to gamma or brigthness WOW is pretty playable but the rest of my X enviroment is so brightly white (light gray is getting at an equal level with pure white)

anyone... thanx for the reply...

still though i would like to see some help for water transparency. Anyone?
guppy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shi^Yo wrote:
Well the problem with gamma is that the rest of my X is fine, there are some tools provided by ATI, haven't use them though. If I make a global change to gamma or brigthness WOW is pretty playable but the rest of my X enviroment is so brightly white (light gray is getting at an equal level with pure white)

anyone... thanx for the reply...

still though i would like to see some help for water transparency. Anyone?

Code:
fglrx_xgamma -?

and if you have emerged the ati-drivers-extras

Code:
fireglcontrol
shi^Yo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm... again the problem is NOT with my general X settings... is just with the game's gamma.. whenever i move the bar in Video Options/ gamma, it makes an instant change on the screen and returns back to the previous brightness leaving the bar to its new value. Its like cedega cannot force ATI to leave its gamma settings, don't have access to it or sth. Anyway... anything on the water transparency? You mean to say that all of you using ATI and cedega 4.2.1 can view transparent water ?
This makes me an exception then i guess...
meinbobo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: same error all the time - please help Reply with quote

i cannot start wow

i am trying to run a copy of wow that was installed from windows before my windows hd died
i have tried wine 20050310, cvs wine, and cvs cedega
all with the same results no matter what command options i use
i get these warnings in the console window:

fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer gl_version is: "1.5.3 NVIDIA 71.74"
fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer glx_exts is: "GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGI_video_sync GLX_SGI_swap_control GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_NV_float_buffer GLX_ARB_get_proc_address "
fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer gl_version is: "1.5.3 NVIDIA 71.74"
fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer glx_exts is: "GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGI_video_sync GLX_SGI_swap_control GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_NV_float_buffer GLX_ARB_get_proc_address "
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:thread:GetThreadTimes Cannot get kerneltime or usertime of other threads

then the blizzard bug report comes up

=====================================
World of WarCraft: Assertions Enabled Build (build 4297)

Exe: G:\games\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe
Time: Apr 13, 2005 5:33:37.787 PM
User: bobo
Computer: roxie
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #0 (0x85100000)
Program: G:\games\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe
File: C:\build\buildWoW\Storm\Source\SFile.cpp
Line: 5513
Expr: block < archiveptr->header.blockcount

WoWBuild: 4297
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a blizzard form tells me that error #0 is a driver or software or an update issue

i am running 1.3.0 and cannot find the update to 1.3.1
i would like to try running wow with the update applied but i cant find it

i have checked my firewall as the apropriate allowances in it for wow (somewhere firewall was suggested as a cause of error #0)
i am running the latest drivers from nvidia - 3d accel is on
opengl test fine with glxgears - i get 2400-ish fps

i will take any and all suggestion/info available

please help i am at my wits end - having spent far too many hour on this

[edit]
sorry forgot some needed ref info

SuSE 9.2
Kernel 2.6.8
Athlon 3000+
1Gig DDR
GeForce FX 5200
Driver 1.5.3-71.74
Wine 20050310

thanks in advance for the help

meinbobo
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: