Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
new folder permissions (root group write access)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mixmasterdj2002
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: new folder permissions (root group write access) Reply with quote

I have setup a gentoo system and its all workin gr8, but wat I want to do is have it so that all newly created folders, by users are wriatble by the root group..
I read a post that said something about sticky and GID, but I have no ide about what they are.. I have very little experience about linux security as I am a Windoze Administrator..
JUST TRYING TO LEARN LINUX :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks In Avdance
ctford0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want root to be able to write to all newly created directories or all normal users? root has permissions to do whatever he/she wants. My friend has a habit of saying that root has the power of God when it comes to linux.

If you want all newly created directories to be read by every normal user then thats a little tricker since linux give the power of the user to set their own permissions. If this is for file trading purposes, usually what I do is to create a guest account of some sort ( since guest is a user already it may be a good idea to use the name guest1 or something like that). Then you can make each user a folder in the guest1 home directory that is world readable. Or insead of creating a new user account you could have a public directory where files could be posted.

Hope this helps

Chris
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

root can edit/erase/remove anything in the filesystem, as long as the kernel permits it (file not locked, not immutable etc.). Yes, you can easily blow away the system, but that's the risk of using root.
mr45acp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put a set-id bit on a directory
Code:
chmod g+u the_dir
, then all newly created sub-dirs and files will inherit the GID of that directory.

The sticky bit
Code:
chmod +t the_dir
means that only the file owner (and the superuser, of course) may remove files from that directory (regardless of the directory permissions. Look at /tmp).

Did that explain "sticky and GID"?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: