No network detected
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantrevino
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: No network detected Reply with quote

I'm trying to install 1.4_rc4 on my laptop with an orinoco wireless card. When I boot, my network device is not detected. I've tried several things.

I start with 'dopcmcia' option. This loads the pcmcia_core, i82365, and ds modules, but then attempts to load a prism2_cs module. I can rmmod the prism2_cs and p8??? module, then modprobe orinoco, but eth0 is not created.

I tried starting without the 'dopcmcia' and manually modprobe pcmcia_core, i82365, ds, then cardmgr -f, but still no love.

I also tried 'pci=noacpi' with both methods, still nothing.

The 1.2 ISO worked flawlessly for me. The 1.4 series has been a disaster. WTF isnt eth0 getting created when I modprobe orinoco? Am I forgetting something?

Any ideas, or can someone point me at 1.2 ISO?
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a known problem with at least 1.4_rc4 if not all of the 1.4 series. My solution, and probably the best way to install gentoo anyway, is to use Knoppix. Download the huge iso, burn it to a 700MB CDR, you will find many cases in which you will learn to love it. Just type knoppix lang=us desktop={kde,fluxbox,etc.} screen=(your resolution) and let it chug. It will detect your Orinoco card just fine and detect DHCP if available. Just like the gentoo LiveCD should do . . .

Then:

#sudo passwd root
(set a root password)
#su
#usermod -d /root -m root
(creates /root as root's home directory instead of /home/root)
#exit
#su
(changes take effect)
#fdisk /dev/hda

And take it from there in the install guide. You can do this in terminal 1 and follow the gentoo docs in graphical kde/fluxbox/etc. in terminal 7.

Just remember to set pcmcia and pnp as USE variables, emerge pcmcia-cs and add pcmcia to the boot runlevel. For kernel config, enable PCMCIA/Cardbus support with nothing else enabled under it, and disable everything in 10/100 ethernet. Add i82365 and ds to your /etc/modules.autoload.

When you reboot, you might want to emerge pcmcia-cs once more (although I'm not entirely convinced this is necessary). cardmgr should start on boot and load the orinoco, orinoco_cs, and hermes modules automatically, in addition to pcmcia_core and the two modules added to /etc/modules.autoload.

Even though your wireless card won't work with the gentoo LiveCD, it does work in Gentoo . . . with a little help from dear old Knoppix. Good luck.
dantrevino
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

butters wrote:
this is a known problem with at least 1.4_rc4 if not all of the 1.4 series.

Good, at least I know I'm not going crazy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: