View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Compiz, nvidia glx stuff and getting it all to work [SOLVED] Reply with quote

OK, so I've been playing around and trying to get this thing working for some time now - and have surfed what seems like a zillion forum questions and wiki pages... Still not able to solve it myself, so I need some help.

I have recently installed Gentoo on my PC, with KDE running on an MSI Nvidia 7600 GS card in it.

So I upgraded to the Nvidia driver and it works without hassles. Now I want to get compiz working. I know that Compiz should work directly on top of the Nvidia driver without too much hassle but I'm running into problems. I've completed an emerge world which went surprisingly well - almost (!) without a hitch.

I have followed the following wiki how-to's.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Compiz
http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org/Compiz

Although the second one contradicts the first in the name it suggests to use as the window manager in KDE in the file /etc/env.d/99kde-env. I currently have it set to compiz-nvidia

I have also followed these wikis:

http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org/NVidia
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_nVidia_GL_Desktop_Effects

Although the second one gives the impression that if there is no section titled "extensions" in the xorg.conf file then you shouldn't add it. There wasn't, but I did - since there's a contradiction in the first wiki says to go do it anyway...

I've done:

Code:
# eselect opengl set nvidia

and then tried to restart the window manager/X system - both by logging out and removing the Nvidia module and reloading it, and also by rebooting...

No dice.

I shut down and rebooted. Now I have problems with x too (although I think that this is an entirely separate issue)

After booting I see the Nvidia splash, then it dumps me to a console.
Logging in as root, I can execute

Code:
# gdm

and then I get a 'text graphic' message about the fact that it appears there is another X server working... do I want to retry? etc...

If I answer yes, I then pass to what looks like a (very graphical based) gdm error of some description - that states: "The specified display number was busy, so this server was started on display: 1"

Clicking OK then drops me into a normal gdm log-in page.

Logging in is then fine and I have a perfectly useable KDE desktop. But with no whizz-bang special effects...

So, I'm confused.

What can I do now? As I say, I think it's actually two separate problems - and I'm quite happy to put the X server issue on the back-burner for now (since I can easily access KDE anyway) and just attack the issue of getting Compiz to work directly with the Nvidia driver. So what would you fine people suggest? How do I get Compiz working directly with the Nvidia driver?

Any help people can give me would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Last edited by bag on Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from kde type compiz-nvidia in the console and post the output

you need
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
in your device section
and
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

and xcomposite in make.conf and emerge -uDN world

Last edited by Dan on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: command not found... Reply with quote

Reply is simple enough...

Code:
-su: compiz-nvidia: command not found

Which ain't exactly helpful to me... but I'm just hoping it means more to you!!!

Any pointers?
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you emerge compiz ?
you would have compiz-nvidia if you did.
Code:
 # eix compiz
[I] x11-apps/compiz-settings
     Available versions:  (~)0.06 (~)0.07
     Installed:           0.07(17:27:12 01/07/07)
     Homepage:            http://forum.go-compiz.org/viewtopic.php?t=153
     Description:         Configuration tool for compiz window manager

[I] x11-plugins/compiz-extra
     Available versions:  (~)0.3.6.0
     Installed:           0.3.6.0(17:28:33 01/07/07)(-debug)
     Homepage:            http://www.go-compiz.org/index.php?title=Download
     Description:         Compiz extra third party plugins

[I] x11-wm/compiz
     Available versions:  (~)0.3.4 (~)0.3.6
     Installed:           0.3.6(14:54:59 01/07/07)(-dbus -debug gnome kde -svg)
     Homepage:            http://www.go-compiz.org/
     Description:         compiz 3D composite- and windowmanager

Found 3 matches.

bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: compiz emerged... Reply with quote

dcoats...

Many thanks for your help so far...

OK, I've done some stuff - but I'm a little confused about something in your first post.

What I've done...

As I said in the last post, I've typed compiz-nvidia and get "command not found"

I've added all the options you mentioned into the xorg.conf - no problems. Although, I don't understand about the last bit - xcomposite in make.conf ...

What does that mean? I need to add it to make.conf? Where abouts? Which section does it go into?

typing

Code:
# eix compiz

returns the same error as the 'compiz-nvidia' command...

Code:
-su: eix: command not found

Yes, I've emerged compiz. And compiz-extra. And compiz-settings.

I've tried removing all of them and re-emerging, although I have the same problems. Basically, it appears that it doesn't seem to register compiz being installed. Maybe I'm wrong with that interpretation but it's what would seem logical to me.

Back to xcomposite first - what do I do with it? Where? What do I need to do in the xorg.conf file for it to pick it up? (For info, I have libXcomposite v0.3.1 installed).

Another thing that I should mention is that when I start up the Compiz Settings Manager from the kicker, I get a DBUS error - it tells me that ithe DBUS plugin can't start because Compiz isn't running.

Any ideas on how to sort this out?
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In make.conf's "USE" section
Code:

USE="3dnow 3dnowext a52 aac accessability acl adns aiglx aim apache2 audiofile
     bash-completion bcmath bidi bindinst bmp browserplugin bzip2
     calendar cairo caps curlwrappers dedicated dga dio dvd divx4linux dlloader
     dri dts emacs emacs-w3 erandom ethereal examples expat fastcgi fbcon font
     ftp glitz glut gnusetup gnutls gd gtkhtml hardened imap immqt-bc inifile
     ithreads java javascript jp2 jpeg jpeg2k kerberos krb4 libcaca libclamv live lzo
     maildir musicbrainz mailwrapper milter mime ming mmap mmx mono mp3 mpi msn nptl
     nptlonly nvidia oav ogg objc oracle oscar pcre php pic portaudio posix
     shared sqlite sse symlink tcltktcpd test threads urandom usb
     usepackagedmakefiles userlocales vcd vhosts videos win32codecs wmf
     wxwindows xml xpm xprint xrandr xinerama xcomposite xvid xvmc yahoo"
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
VIDEO_CARDS="nv nvidia vesa"
ALSA_CARDS="via82xx"
LINGUAS="en_US"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/gentoo http://mirrors.acm.cs.rpi.edu/gentoo/ http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo"

Code:
emerge eix && update-eix && eix compiz

as far as compiz-nvidia goes, you wont have it unless you make it yourself, which you don't have too. I have it because I have had older versions installed, which did it for you. Now you only get these...
>>> /usr/bin/kde-window-decorator
>>> /usr/bin/compiz
>>> /usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator
>>> /usr/bin/compiz-start

Try out compiz using compiz-start

so change /etc/env.d/99kde-env to
KDEWM=compiz-start
then do env-update
bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Super fast response times...! Reply with quote

Many thanks for that... will check it out later when I get home. Hopefully it will work.

I'll keep you informed.

Mark.
bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: So _now_ it's getting interesting... Reply with quote

hmmmm.... interesting...

OK, updated the USE flags. Done.

emerged eix and run the command:

Code:
# eix compiz

and it listed six programs, three of which were installed. All good stuff.

I also checked in /usr/bin for the files you mentioned - they're all there too... so far so good...

I've also updated the 99kde-env file to compiz-start and done the env-update.

Then i tried the command:

Code:
compiz-start

And this is where it gets interesting...

Everything went wibbly-wobbly...! But only for a while...

The whole screen shivered. I managed to minimise a couple of open windows - terminal etc and it all disappeared with a lovely little shimmer... but then the mouse pointer disappeared. It came back after about 20 seconds...

Minimised windows couldn't be re-opened. nothing responded to mouse clicks at all from then on. No kicker buttons, no desktop icons, nothing.

Pressing Alt + Tab pushed the 'cube' away from the screen and greyed it out a little, releasing made it draw back up to the screen... Pressing any sort of combination of buttons or mouse movements wouldn't get it to shift sideways at all - so i couldn't see if it actually was a cube or not. Could have been just a screen or something...

But it's sort of there...

The only way to move forwards was to kill X using Ctrl + Alt + backspace. This dumped me out - so i rebooted just for good measure...

now I can't get back into kde. I get the same error messages about X trying to start a server and one already running etc... but typing;

Code:
# gdm

pops me back in as before... but when I log on using the graphical interface, I can't get past the KDE splashscreen. It loads items in turn - gets to loading window manager and then whizzes through the rest - to say "KDE is up and running" but then it plainly isn't!!

i'm stuck with a wallpaper but no icons, no kicker bar, and a splashscreen which is finished working through the startup items but freezes at the end...

So, I'm close... I can smell it... but not close enough...

Any ideas? Anyone seen this before??? All help is appreciated.

thanks,

Mark.
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok comment out the line in /etc/env.d/99kde-env
##KDEWM=compiz-start

env-update and restart xdm, you need to get gdm and kde working correctly 1st.
post back your issues without starting compiz at all
bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Interesting... Reply with quote

OK, so now it gets fun.

I've commented out the line in 99kde-env and booted back through. It still has the same problem...!

I didn't used to have this - so I presume that something I've done in the last day has caused this...

So let me explain the current problems.

Firstly, on booting, I still have the same X server issues. Exactly the same as reported previously (cut here for info).

Quote:
After booting I see the Nvidia splash, then it dumps me to a console.
Logging in as root, I can execute

Code:

# gdm

and then I get a 'text graphic' message about the fact that it appears there is another X server working... do I want to retry? etc...

If I answer yes, I then pass to what looks like a (very graphical based) gdm error of some description - that states: "The specified display number was busy, so this server was started on display: 1"

Clicking OK then drops me into a normal gdm log-in page.

Once at the GDM log-in page, I can log-in to KDE but it freezes as per the last post (cut & pasted again)

Quote:
now I can't get back into kde. I get the same error messages about X trying to start a server and one already running etc... but typing;

Code:

# gdm 

pops me back in as before... but when I log on using the graphical interface, I can't get past the KDE splashscreen. It loads items in turn - gets to loading window manager and then whizzes through the rest - to say "KDE is up and running" but then it plainly isn't!!

i'm stuck with a wallpaper but no icons, no kicker bar, and a splashscreen which is finished working through the startup items but freezes at the end...

Please note here that when I say it whizzes through the rest I really mean it. Normally, on boot-up of KDE it will pause for a second or two on all of the icons, they'll flash a touch until fully lit up and then it will move on. Now it does that up until it loads the windows manager and then runs through the remaining icons at break-neck speed... Anyway, it's enough of a change to make me want to mention it - especially since we've been playing around with the window manager!

Just re-read your post again and think I maybe made a boo-boo... I'm not 100% sure that I did an env-update before restarting gdm :oops:

Maybe that would explain why I couldn't get into KDE and it was acting the same as before...

Will try it as soon as I get back home for lunch (about 4 hours from now). Apologies.

Anyway, here's something for you to mull over... this morning I tried something different - booting into Gnome. And it worked. It wasn't pretty, no default wallpaper etc but it was all there. Running compiz-start at the command line had the same issues as in KDE, compiz worked briefly but then died on me and froze up the system - needed to Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to get out...

Does that confuse matters further?
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge beryl and replace compiz-start with beryl-manager

:p
bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd rather not, if i can get away with it... the reason I wanted to go with Compiz first was mostly to do with stability... From all the postings I see, my understanding is that whilst both Beryl and Compiz are very much bleeding edge, Compiz is slightly more stable at the moment.

Let me explain where I am now.

I ran:

Code:
# env-update

and all went well. I then rebooted for good measure and now I'm back to where I was originally. I have a working KDE desktop after logging in on the console and starting gdm at the command line.

Everything is fine - windows ok, etc etc...

But i presume that I need to still fix my two original issues...

1. Booting directly into gdm (which doesn't happen although there's an X server started on screen 0) - and damn ugly it is too!!
2. Compiz configuration.

I'd really like to solve this if I can - don't like giving up and going different routes if I can avoid it...

Any more ideas?
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me beryl runs better than compiz and besides that beryl-manager will allow you to switch between compiz and beryl easily anyway, so if you run beryl and have compiz installed you get both.

Which nvidia drivers are you running?
use 9746 if you aren't already.
Are you using xeffects overlay stuff or packages from gentoo portage? I recommend the portage packages.
bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, didn't understand that with Beryl I could have the best of both worlds... I will try that tonight then.

For info - had a thought after the last post. I'm convinced that X is working, KDE is working and that Compiz at least starts working - even if it doesn't completely work.

Then had an idea that it might be something to do with the order in which the effects are loaded in gconf.

I had followed the order list from this page:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Compiz

However, on closer inspection, whilst it says that it's very important that the effects get loaded in the right order, there are actually three different lists or orders of effects on the same page - and guess what? Yep, they are ALL different...!

List one is in the section titled "Configuration". List two is in the section "Alternate: Using gconftool-2" and list three is in the section "Plugins Loading Order"

So if order of loading is important to ensure stability then it's quite possible that whatever configuration or order that I have at the moment is wrong. I presume that this could possibly lead to the clash of effects and lock-up that I experience once all the windows are minimized etc...

Where would I find a correct order listing? Any ideas?
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine are
[gconf,decoration,wobbly,fade,minimize,cube,switcher,move,resize,place,rotate,zoom,scale]
unmask beryl in portage and install 0.1.4
bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I'll verify against my list when I get home...

and then try the Beryl.

Other questions not answered from your previous post...

I'm using the latest nVidia drivers from the Portage tree - whatever they are. I don't think I'm using overlays... I just emerged in Portage...
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your nvidia-driver version with
Code:
eix nvidia-drivers

bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nVidia driver is: 9746

Although I have a quick question for you... Having now followed several different contradictory wiki how-to's in trying to get Compiz working, is there anything that I have done that will get in the way of Beryl or cause complications?

Is there anything I need to / should undo first?
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you edited anything other than /etc/env.d/99kde-env ?
Basically thats all there is you packages installed and adding what you want started automatically to env.
xorg.conf will be the same and work the same for beryl/compiz/kwin whatever, if you have it correct.
bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've added a script to: /usr/local/bin/compiz-decorator

from the http://gentoo-wiki.com/Compiz wiki

I've also added this script: /usr/kde/3.5/env/start_dbus_session_bus.sh

from the http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org/Compiz wiki

and I've added two options to Section "Device" in the xorg.conf file and another whole (small) section called "Extensions".

Code:
Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
 Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"

Section "Extensions"
EndSection

In addition that, I've just commented out the KDEWIN line in /etc/env.d/99kde-env , so it's now not got anything highlighting which manager to use... Should it? Should it be returned to the original line (not that I can remember what it was now - I seem to have changed it about six times!)

Finally - for info, I didn't need to unmask anything for Beryl - I checked with pretend option first and nothing was blocked. 0.1.4 straight out of Portage. JUST finished - not run it yet though...

Anyway, comments on what should be undone before I press go would be very helpful...

Thanks,

Mark.
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All should be fine, No you don't need anything in /etc/env.d/99kde-env unless you want to start beryl or compiz at boot. so wait until you get it working to add anything there.
this should get you started.
Add to /etc/portage/package.keywords
#Beryl Core
x11-wm/beryl
x11-wm/beryl-core
x11-plugins/beryl-plugins
x11-plugins/beryl-dbus
x11-misc/beryl-manager
x11-misc/beryl-settings
x11-apps/xlsclients

#Window Decorators
x11-wm/emerald
x11-misc/emerald-themes
x11-themes/emerald-themes
x11-wm/heliodor

Code:
emerge -va beryl aquamarine

bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Just a quick question though - by not putting specific versions in the package.keywords file, am I not really telling the machine that it can install any (latest) version of Beryl and its components without any check or balance on maintaining system stability etc? Won't it now always install the latest file, regardless of whether it's considered stable enough for the portage tree?

I've tried emerging Aquamarine but no luck - apparently no ebuilds.

So then, I ran Beryl from the command line - and still got some of the same issues. Got more whiz-bang features, had a cube to rotate, wobbly windows, all sorts of stuff - but when windows were minimised, they were lost... Couldn't reopen/maximise at all. Double-clicking on some icons opened the program in the task bar - but not on the screen/desktop. Mouse pointer did a disappearing act very regularly, and only returned when I left-clicked. In addition, some graphics were a bit blocky and left artifacts following mouse trails etc...

I've had Compiz working before on a version of Gentoo that I then later broke so bad I needed to reinstall... so I know what it should look like... but last time, it was just a whole lot smoother, that's all...

Any other thoughts? Does this sound like something that can be fixed? Hope so.
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post your /var/log/xorg.0.log and your xorg.conf , I'll give it one more shot at helping you work this out.
bag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. You're a star - and a very patient one at that...!

Many many thanks for your help so far - I know it might seem that we're not really advancing but I think that in reality, we are... Each thing narrows down the list of things it could be...!! I think we'll get there...

Xorg.conf file looks like this:
Code:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "X.Org Configured"
        Screen  0       "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice     "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
# PS/2 Mouse not detected
# Serial Mouse not detected
        InputDevice     "USB Mouse" "AlwaysCore"
#No Synaptics touchpad found
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"

EndSection

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/util"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/encodings"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/local"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/terminus"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/local/share/fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/default"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/arphicfonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/jisx0213"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/shinonome"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/baekmuk-fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/kacst-fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/sgi-fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/unfonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-100dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-75dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-misc:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-cp1251-100dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-cp1251-75dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-cp1251-misc:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-cp1251-100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-cp1251-75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-cp1251-misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-isocyr-100dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-isocyr-75dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-isocyr-misc:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-isocyr-100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-isocyr-75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-isocyr-misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8r-100dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8r-75dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8r-misc:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8r-100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8r-75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8r-misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8u-100dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8u-75dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8u-misc:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8u-100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8u-75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8u-misc"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "vbe"
#       Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "dbe"
#       Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "record"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Keyboard0"
        Driver  "kbd"
        Option  "CoreKeyboard"
        Option  "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option  "XkbModel" "pc104"
        Option  "XkbLayout" "gb"
        Option  "XkbOptions" "grp:toggle,grp_led:scroll"
        Option  "XkbVariant" ",winkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Serial Mouse"
        Driver  "mouse"
        Option  "Protocol" "Microsoft"
        Option  "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
        Option  "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
        Option  "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
        Option  "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "PS/2 Mouse"
        Driver  "mouse"
        Option  "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option  "Device" "/dev/misc/psaux"
        Option  "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "USB Mouse"
        Driver  "mouse"
        Option  "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option  "SendCoreEvents" "true"
        Option  "Buttons" "5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics"
        Driver  "synaptics"
        Option  "Protocol" "event"
        Option  "Device" ""
        Option  "LeftEdge" "1900"
        Option  "RightEdge" "5400"
        Option  "TopEdge" "1900"
        Option  "BottomEdge" "4000"
        Option  "FingerLow" "25"
        Option  "FingerHigh" "30"
        Option  "MaxTapTime" "180"
        Option  "MaxTapMove" "220"
        Option  "VertScrollDelta" "100"
        Option  "MinSpeed" "0.02"
        Option  "MaxSpeed" "0.10"
        Option  "AccelFactor" "0.0010"
        Option  "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

# Auto-generated by mkxf86config

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        HorizSync    28.0 - 96.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Option  "RenderAccel"   "1"
        Option  "AddARGBGLXVisuals"     "true"
        Option  "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        # sw_cursor is needed for some ati and radeon cards
Option "sw_cursor"
        #Option     "hw_cursor"
        #Option     "NoAccel"
        #Option     "ShowCache"
        #Option     "ShadowFB"
        #Option     "UseFBDev"
        #Option     "Rotate"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        # The following line is auto-generated by x11-misc/mkxf86config
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "All"
        BoardName   "All"
#       BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
        Option      "DRI"     "true"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device  "Card0"
        Monitor "Monitor0"
        DefaultColorDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
                Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
                Depth   1
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   4
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   24
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   32
                Depth   32
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group 0
        Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
EndSection

And the /var/log/xorg.0.log is empty - a new file...

I hope you can spot something in there... However, the more I think about it the more I reckon it could be something to do with the plug-ins... But maybe you've spotted something stupid that I've done in the xorg.conf file...

Thanks again for your help - it doesn't go un-appreciated. You're the only one who seems interested to help. So thank you.
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your xorg.conf somewhere and try this
Code:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "X.Org Configured"
        Screen  0       "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice     "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice     "USB Mouse" "AlwaysCore"
        Option          "AIGLX"  "true"
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
        Option "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection
Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/util"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/encodings"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/local"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/terminus"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/local/share/fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/default"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/arphicfonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/jisx0213"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/shinonome"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/baekmuk-fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/kacst-fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/sgi-fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/unfonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-100dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8r-75dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8r-misc:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8r-100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8r-75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8r-misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8u-100dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8u-75dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8u-misc:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8u-75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/xfonts-cronyx-koi8u-misc"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "xtrap"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "type1"
       #Load    "vbe"
       #Load    "ddc"
       #Load    "bitmap"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Keyboard0"
        Driver  "kbd"
        Option  "CoreKeyboard"
        Option  "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option  "XkbModel" "pc104"
        Option  "XkbLayout" "gb"
        Option  "XkbOptions" "grp:toggle,grp_led:scroll"
        Option  "XkbVariant" ",winkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Serial Mouse"
        Driver  "mouse"
        Option  "Protocol" "Microsoft"
        Option  "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "PS/2 Mouse"
        Driver  "mouse"
        Option  "Device" "/dev/misc/psaux"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "USB Mouse"
        Driver  "mouse"
        Option  "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option  "SendCoreEvents" "true"
        Option  "Buttons" "5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics"
        Driver  "synaptics"
        Option  "Protocol" "event"
        Option  "Device" ""
        Option  "LeftEdge" "1900"
        Option  "RightEdge" "5400"
        Option  "TopEdge" "1900"
        Option  "BottomEdge" "4000"
        Option  "FingerLow" "25"
        Option  "FingerHigh" "30"
        Option  "MaxTapTime" "180"
        Option  "MaxTapMove" "220"
        Option  "VertScrollDelta" "100"
        Option  "MinSpeed" "0.02"
        Option  "MaxSpeed" "0.10"
        Option  "AccelFactor" "0.0010"
        Option  "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        HorizSync    28.0 - 96.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
        Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName   "Geforce"
        #BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"
        #VideoRam    262144
        Screen      0
        Option     "RenderAccel"  "True"
        Option     "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
        Option     "DRI"     "true"
        Option     "HWcursor"
        Option     "CursorShadow"
        Option     "CursorShadowAlpha" "32"
        Option     "CursorShadowXOffset" "3"
        Option     "CursorShadowYOffset" "3"
        Option     "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
        Option     "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device  "Card0"
        Monitor "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 24
        Option         "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
        Option         "RenderAccel" "True"
        Option         "NoRenderExtension" "False"
        Option         "UseEdidFreqs" "True"
        SubSection "Display"
                Modes "1024x768"
                Depth   24
        EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group 0
        Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
EndSection
I would like to see /var/log/Xorg.0.log, every time you start X the log is created. shouldn't be empty
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: