View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Success story: GCC 3.3 Reply with quote

Hey,

I just successfully built my system from the ground up using GCC 3.3-r1
And i do mean, GROUND up... I hacked around so that i bootstrapped with gcc33...

everything compiled, a few hiccupps, although I didn't use the solutions given in the forum, there were some solutions already present.
In general, a very fun trip. If there is interest, I will describe it in depth, including all the things i did in order to get things to compile, and any of the blocks i ran into (as yet, only one that i haven't managed to patch up myself)

Also, if interest is there, i'll post on bugzilla all the patching and hacking i've done... some is probably already in bugzilla tho, and others will be non-issues when the stuff isn't as new and of "testing" status in portage.

I am running 2.6.0-test1-mm2 kernel, w/o any problems

used these optimizations throughout build except where stripped by ebuilds:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops"

-i
arokh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And after all that work, what did you really gain by doing it? :D
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

illusion: cool! A couple weeks ago I got my system finally fully compiled with gcc 3.3, mm-sources, and nptl, was pretty happy to see it all going!
Paper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool guys! I'm really interesting in trying to walk this path! ;)
what are the 'key points' to get successfully past the install with gcc 3.3 and to make use of nptl?
come on, just be enough convincing and this evening I'm gonna break my gentoo! ;)

Bye,
Paper
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you have problems compiling ttkmfdir?

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
bfg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try it. But i think its too much time spending compiling for just some performance gain. Besides that i think it will decrease the overall stability of the system.

Someday maybe ill walk this path too!

:D
subodh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floam:
How stable your system is with nptl and what packages you are running. I will be happy to waste cpu cycles.
segflaunt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ready for a real journey if you want to use nptl.
illusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! such enthusiam!!!!

@Paper
The key points for gcc33 is being willing to bug-fix, and create new ebuilds that patch everything together in your portage overlay. Also, several ebuilds require editing to make them be emerged as "stable" or "non-broken" packages as they are masked beyond packages.mask

basically glibc-2.3.2-r1, binutils-2.14.90.0.4.1-r1, and gcc-3.3-r1 need to be usable, and they are all disabled in they're keywords
Code:
KEYWORDS="-*"

or some such... you just need to give it "~x86" so that emerge will use the package... and do this before bootstrapping

then, get ready to patch alot of packages... grub needs a patch, which is already to be found somewhere on these forums i think... but i just poked around the source and made a patch; and then ttkmfdir; and there may be a few others i've forgotten...

@TheCoop
I sorta answered you're question -- yes, i did, but it was a dinky one-liner patch to fix it up... If no one has put this into bugzilla, lemme know, and i will do so.

@bfg
So far, no decrease in stability for me... admitadly i am not using nptl (yet) but all the same... 2.6.0 test kernel, full gcc3.3 build, and 0 crashes so far. been up for over 2 days already, with fairly consistant and heavy use.

@floam & segflaunt
What is nptl??? =] havn't heard of that acronym, and if its risky and fun, i am all over it! =]

for those considering doing GCC 3.3 from scratch, let me know if you want me to post all the patching i've done of stuff, including the new ebuilds necessary.

-i
Paper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

illusion: thanks! It seems that gcc 3.3 is rapidly getting smoother to integrate with Gentoo :-D I think I'll start emerging gcc and some of its friends until I break everything and I need a full reinstall ;)
I would also investigate a little bit more about nptl, just to be able to do a bootstrap with gcc 3.3 AND nptl enabled and get to an almost stable system without loosing to many days, as I plan to experiment on main box ... ihihih ;)

PS: nptl is the new posix thread library, supported by glibc > 2.3.2-r2 (or maybe also r1) and kernel above 2.5.50. Some package, most notably j2sdk (from scratch), has direct support for ntpl. You can find many info about nptl in the Forums ;) ... go go go :-DDD
Paper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot: gcc 3.3.1 was scheduled for July 18, so it should really almost ready to go ;)
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im just being a n00b, could you post the fix for ttmkfdir & there isnt anything about it on bugs.gentoo.org.

now cant compile svgalib...

Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a patch for ttmkfdir in portage... Try emerge sync, or ~x86.

Code:
$ ls -l /usr/portage/x11-misc/ttmkfdir/files/*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          529 Jul 21 23:46   ttmkfdir-3.0.9-gcc33.patch

- Simon
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that patch is applied during the emerge but it still fails, complaining about misuse of the ?: conditional (middle term missing)

illusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TheCoop
Ok, the patch in portage is the same as what i did. I just tested it, and it compiled fine for me.
I dunno what you're bug is... i never saw that type of error even when compiling it w/o the patch.
what are your CFLAGS? mine are listed in my original post.

as for svgalib, why do you need it? i never use it, and most of the libraries that "depend" on it only do so because "svga" is by default included in your USE. You probably never actually use the library as the apps that used to use svgalib now use X and related libs...

lemme know if you really _need_ svgalib, and i'll try to get it to compile and post the fix for it.

@Paper
Hmm... sounds really reeeaaally interesting... will investigate. Although, sadly not as useful is a new compiler until more apps start natively supporting it -- i don't use alot of java apps... if i did, that might change matters significantly from what you are saying. None the less, will research some. thanks for the tip.

and to all... STILL UP! =] so there to unstability... i'm gonna get cracking on the one library that is buggered atm -- jpeg-mmx -- a rather crucial one for transcode, so... must have. if i can fix it i'm going to do some dvd-ripping to stress-test the system. =] more coming! keep the thread alive! hehe

-i

-i
Paper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone posted in bugzilla what is causing jpeg-mmx to compile with gcc 3.3: the problem is the -fPIC flag. But don't know if it's just a matter of removing pic from the USE flags or some tweak to the ebuild is needed.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22315

happy transcoding illusion :-D

Bye,
Paper
Paper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCoop: are you using a 2.5/2.6 kernel? svgalib fails to compile if the kernel tree in /usr/src/linux is newer than 2.4. The ebuild (1.9.17-r1) uses a patch but that's not enough. I did get it to compile just:
1) emerging a 2.4 kernel
2) temporarily linking /usr/src/linux to that kernel tree
3) editing the ebuild to make it avoid using the kernel 2.5 patch and to make it do nothing if it finds a 2.5 kernel (in function check:kernel())
Probably rebooting with a 2.4 kernel the third step can skipped ... but I'm too lazy to rebuild, and I need svgalib just to get links to build properly ;)

Bye,
Paper
illusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely links doesn't NEED svgalib??? if so, just dump links, and use lynx... ;] thats my solution....

Anywho, about the jpeg-mmx, i've been posting on that bug the last hour... i've fixed the bug... cleaning up the code to the point that i'm comfortable submitting a patch for it.

i'll post here as well when the patch is in... anyone willing to test it and make sure it works wolud be appreciated.

-i
illusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, patch posted to bugzilla for jpeg-mmx....

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22315

enjoy! lemme know if it messes up... if you guys want an ebuild i'll uplaad one later...

-i
illusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey! more news

mjpegtools breaks... I've got a bugzilla thingy open for it, and i'll have patches there probably tomorrow... gonna watch some tv and sleep, and debug it in the morning... i think i figured out what all the bugs were, just need to squash the mites

anywho here's the link, and happy gentooing. hope all this info is interesting to someone. =] btw, still haven't heard if people reeeaally want svgalib working in a 2.5/6 kernel & gcc 3.3 environ... ?? i might be willing to work on it if there is interest... debugging bugs i didn't make is fun. ;]

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25163

-i
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no...you got me all excited now... I have a little Terminator P4 (2.4GHz 1Gig RAM) just screaming to compile like crazy...Hence, I wanna try that GCC33 and do it from scratch (bootstrap and all). So YEAH, I'd love to know what steps you went through to get your system running off gcc3.3.

:P
Paper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I didnt' resist ;) I spent a few hours with my friend "emerge -e": got installed gcc3.3 and half rebuilt my system. I basically did an "emerge -e gnome evolution epiphany" so that the packages I use the most and their whole dependency tree have been re-emerged ;)
Clean and smooth, with just a few exceptions (jpeg-mmx, mjepgtools, pilot-link, gnome-pilot, gnome-pilot-conduits).

... I'm gonna finish rebuilding ... byeeeeeeee! :D
illusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00p!!!

mjpegtools patch just sent to the bugzilla bug i posted above! =] compiles like a dream! try it!
i also tossed an ebuild up for that one for any lazies out there... ;]

@Paper
sweet! =] and now jpeg-mmx and mjpeg-utils should compile as well! i don't have palm pilot, so i don't have those libs enabled in my USE flags, but if you would like, i'd be happy to try to patch them up too. lemme know =]

@kyron
sounds like a plan... i'm gonna take a couple days (i don't have tons of free time) to go through, and clean up all my patching, and then i'll post a list of files changed, patches for them, and ebuilds. =] just gimme a few days, or start hacking away yourself. =] its fun, and you'll learn alot.

cheers all, keep compiling!

-i
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now having problems with libnids, dsniff and sniffit

Last edited by TheCoop on Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive there is a word for people like us.....Masochists....BRING IT ON! Booya!

:P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: