Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Potential User's Thoughts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mountless
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Potential User's Thoughts Reply with quote

I'm looking for a new Linux distribution, a friend told me how awesome Gentoo is and that Gentoo's package management is *the* best. After years of fighting "failed dependencies" Gentoo sounded like the perfect thing. I also see that Gentoo is a fairly major distribution and moderately mature, so it seemed like a sure fit.

There's a few packages that I've grown fond of over the years, and so I went to check out the Gentoo software map. I see that Gentoo doesn't have a software map (or whatever its called).

http://packages.gentoo.org/

Uh, wtf...? I've told my friend there's no way I'm going to switch to Gentoo. He asked why, and I gave him 3 reasons:

1) I don't know what packages are available for Gentoo. This is sort of important to me.

2) That page reminds me too much of software projects I've seen over the years that just came to a halt because the developer lost interest.

3) If I run up against a bug that's a genuine show stopper, why should I expect it to get fixed when they can't even maintain a lousy software map?!

Okay...I see that this reads like a troll - maybe that was my intent - but regardless, its the truth.

Adieu.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packages.gentoo.org died quite a while ago - php arbitrary code excecution flaw. Try gentoo-portage.com. Or, just use eix (on an installed system)

Gentoo is still WAYYY actively developed - you can't go by one bad site to judge a distro. Bugs get fixed (check out bugs.gentoo.org), if they develop.

Portage IS still happenin' - we're 12087 packages (and counting) strong - and that doesn't count what you may find in an overlay.

There's still lots of interest. And there's still an online (not to mention eix) portage searcher at gentoo-portage.com .

Give it a try, at least ;)

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
imanel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... Like someone said "if You don't like Gentoo then we don't care"...

But anyway:
1) That was some major bug and developers have a lot of work now - but there's a lot of similar sites and they can do it later... So use for example "gentoo-portage.com"...
2) Like I said developers have a lot of work and do it (in my opinion) very fast - and nothing let me think that they can ever stop;)
3)Look point 1 ;)
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
packages.gentoo.org died quite a while ago - php arbitrary code excecution flaw.

A PHP arbitrary code execution flaw in Python code - that's impressive!

Alternatives to packages.g.o include: eix, portage-utils, equery (gentoolkit), http://packages.gentooext.net/ http://spaceparanoids.org/gentoo/gpnl/ http://gentoo-portage.com/
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential User's Thoughts Reply with quote

mountless wrote:

Okay...I see that this reads like a troll - maybe that was my intent - but regardless, its the truth.

Indeed, it looks like trolling. Locked.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: