View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isnogood
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't winex build on wine code? What happened to the GPL there? Oh well - if someone really needs that piece of crap he can always go p2p.
tolle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly, if winex is based of ordinary wine that is licensed under the LGPL. Can they then change the license and make so that people isn't alowded to redistribute the code?
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winex was based on the MIT/X11-licensed wine, so they can do as they please as long as the copyright notice is maintained.
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kosamae wrote:
I don't know if any of you have heard about this, but the Doom 3 E3 Demo (the one that got leaked) runs on Wine just as well as on WineX (tested it myself :D). I'm thinking this is very good news for other DirectX 9 games coming out soon, which won't recieve ports (HL2, DE2). If these games hold up well in Wine, there's NO way I'm paying WineX another penny.
I don't think doom3 is very dependant on directx as it's supposed to be released on linux. And of course, being an ID game it's opengl based.
scrllock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this, I'm completely fed up with transgaming. About 6 months or so ago, I paid for a subscription to transgaming, thinking it would be cool to play a few of my windows-only games in linux. By supporting transgaming, it lets game developers be lazy, and not port games to linux, since they can just say, oh, transgaming will do it.
R-Type
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrllock wrote:
After this, I'm completely fed up with transgaming. About 6 months or so ago, I paid for a subscription to transgaming, thinking it would be cool to play a few of my windows-only games in linux. By supporting transgaming, it lets game developers be lazy, and not port games to linux, since they can just say, oh, transgaming will do it.

Not to mention the ~50% performance hit that occurs when using the d3d <-->ogl wrapper. Winex was never worth the money to begin with. The only way we'll see win32 programs running at speed is a wine implementation which uses 'native' d3d libs that link to the vidcard driver directly, bypassing opengl. Of course, this'll never happen because neither nvidia nor ati will opensource their (real) drivers.

However, you're right I'd rather see more devel houses release native binaries for alternative OS's. Considering how long it took them to support macintosh (anyone remember the early-mid 90s?) it'll be awhile yet I'm sure :\.
sessionID
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is only half-related, but I think it's a good place to ask (tell me and I'll delete the post..)

So, what is really needed for the game developers to make native ports of games?
A system/library like direct-x? Or maybe openGL (SDL, ...) already has the same power*?
Or maybe only the "will" to create linux/mac/etc versions?

So, basicly making native ports is more a technical or a financial [linux market too small] problem?

(* I'm not a coder ;))
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sessionID wrote:
My question is only half-related, but I think it's a good place to ask (tell me and I'll delete the post..)

So, what is really needed for the game developers to make native ports of games?

Mainly, they need evidence that Linux users are willing to pay for software. There are far too many members of the Linux community that whine about every non-opensource/-freely redistributable piece of software that comes out for Linux. People need to understand that businesses need to earn an income greater than their expenses in order to continue making software. We have plenty of great games from the OSS community, but if we want commercial entities giving us games, we have to show them the money, and many Linux users aren't willing to do that.

RagManX
Celtis
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite a big fan of WineX, I mean who doesn't want to play their favourite games under Linux, hell I thought that paying their fee was a lot better than having to boot to Windows all the time. This latest stunt from Transgaming, combined with the fact that they won't officially support SUBSCRIBERS on gentoo (what am I paying for then?) just shows the kind of company they are.

Subscription cancelled and any future bug fixes will be submitted to Wine rather than the non-crediting fools at TG...

ARGH! I'm off to play on some native games to calm me down :twisted:
R0B_IX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is crazy. I am one of the unfortunate people who paid the fee to transgaming in order to play games (well, actually just sim city 3000 and war3) and was completely turned off by the idea. To be honest, winex never worked for me. I spent a few hours going through it with both games. I could never get simcity 3000 to install, and while war3 installed, it would completely lock up X as soon as I went to start a new game.

Most likely there are workarounds for all of the previously listed problems, but I see no reason why, if I pay money, that I should have to mess around with a program that is advertised as working (at least with war3). Furthermore, now that I have heard that regular wine supports war3, I am going to forget about winex altogether now. I hope that they decide to change their ways and contribute something back to the community as they promised (begging of track rant, please skip if you want to see my final point ;)). I actually remember reading in a linux mag, and on a few sites that transgaming's goal was to further game compatibility in linux. They claimed that they planned on releasing a lot of their changes and adding them to wine. Also, there goal was not to make money, but at the time, they needed money to help fund the project. Furthermore, after the number of subscribers reached a certain number (they had said they were getting close back then, but would not release the number) then they would release their software for free. Sadly greed has gotten the best of them. Another thing, their customer support is terrible. More often, questions appear to be completely ignored by the creators and answered by other subscribers. So, people are paying to provide tech support. That is just really sad.(end rant)

If they finally change, I will be happy to reconsider my opinion, otherwise, I couldn't care less if all of the computers with the winex source on it were fried and all was lost. Greed sucks.
Video:ATI Radeon Mobility 9000
HD1:40 gig 5400 RPM 2.5" drive
HD2:20 gig 5400 RPM external 2.5" USB2 drive
OS of choice:Windows 3.1 (just kidding, it's gentoo)
relyt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cvs access was only set up for developer access and as a nice extra for those people who knew how to use cvs/compile it to try it out. When it became too easy, and anyone could obtain a free copy this way, their business couldn't support it.

This makes complete sense to me. If I was seeing hundreds of cvs updates for every one license purchased, I would wonder if it was worth it too.
kosamae
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

relyt wrote:
The cvs access was only set up for developer access and as a nice extra for those people who knew how to use cvs/compile it to try it out. When it became too easy, and anyone could obtain a free copy this way, their business couldn't support it.

This makes complete sense to me. If I was seeing hundreds of cvs updates for every one license purchased, I would wonder if it was worth it too.

As someone who frequently used their CVS access, it was never THAT easy. I would always have it hang on some file, or have some wierd problem compiling (I swear, sometimes they checked in code that flat out didn't compile), plus it didn't include the copy protection, which really was imperative to making it all work.
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir_Stinksalot wrote:
can they really stop you from redistributing a public cvs?

Their argument is that things like the cvs ebuild and debian packages discourage people from giving back source code (i.e. patches).
They say they might close cvs access if distries continue to provide these methods of access.

Right or not, it is better for gentoo to remove the ebuild, so that users who need winex-cvs can still get it.
R0B_IX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is a stupid question. Let's say, hypotheticly, that I happen to have just found a copy of all of the ebuilds that used to be in portage from a server that must not be completely up to date. Would that ebuild still connect to the server and compile and all? I haven't looked at it, but I downloaded the entire wine-cvs directory, and it appears to have a complete set of valid ebuilds.

[edit]the reason why I don't just try it myself, is because I am leaving for the airport soon, and already have my laptop packed up.
Video:ATI Radeon Mobility 9000
HD1:40 gig 5400 RPM 2.5" drive
HD2:20 gig 5400 RPM external 2.5" USB2 drive
OS of choice:Windows 3.1 (just kidding, it's gentoo)
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROB_IX: Why wouldn't it? It's just an ebuild that accesses the winex cvs repostitory. You would need to rename it to like winex-cvs-3001 (so the winex-3000 ebuild in Portage that just spits out a warning doesn't get used), manually specify the ECVS_MODULE in the ebuild, and put it in your overlay. Though note by doing this you are going against Transgaming's wishes and if many were to do this you could possibly ruin it for everyone who is actually contributing if cvs access were removed.
Assgier
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad it isn't free, i wish it was so easy using wine instead of winex, wine doesn't have DirectX-compatibilities, does it?

I tried WineX a few months ago but couldn't get anything to work, tried getting Red Alert 2 & Yuri's revenge to work but it kept asking for some dll's...

Last edited by Assgier on Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assiger: Wine does have some Direct3D capabilites, as of a week ago or so I hear a few people got Max Payne to run on it, probably slower, but I'd like to see wine get better at games than winex someday, GPL'd and free and all happy :)
orakari
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should submit an ebuild to http://www.breakmygentoo.net for posteriity
Peaceable Frood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should post a story on Slashdot about this. I'm sure its worth merit to post it. I would post a story, but all of my stories get rejected.
Saubloed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orakari wrote:
Someone should submit an ebuild to http://www.breakmygentoo.net for posteriity

LOL - Javascript.

I really think most of the people who cry here around are little kids who dont understand what work mean.
I have paid for Winex and I 100% understand that the CVS ebuilds should not be a free-download-version. You can still use the CVS or install a tar.gz ebuild if you want.

The i-will-install-warez-P2P-people should go back to windows or intow prison.
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine Traffic #182 wrote:
More DirectX work hit wine-patches this week. 3DMark 2000 is now reported to run.
Soon winex is obsolete. :P
fbreuer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a transgaming subscriber. Used to. Many games I try to run under winex simply don't, even though some of them are reported working in their database. With the rest: it takes me hours to get them running. So I boot Windows when I want to play - what else is that OS good for? ;) (I couldn't avoid getting windoze bundled with my laptop.)
SlCKB0Y
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fbreuer wrote:
Many games I try to run under winex simply don't, even though some of them are reported working in their database. With the rest: it takes me hours to get them running

You're doing something wrong then...simple as that.

This only effects people who weren't paying for their product anyways, so why the hell do you think they would care if you are all mad that they actually want to keep their company sustainable.

You all proved you weren't willing to pay for native linux games, as evidenced by the death of Loki software, possibly one of the best software companies linux has seen in a long time.
levez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlCKB0Y wrote:

You all proved you weren't willing to pay for native linux games, as evidenced by the death of Loki software, possibly one of the best software companies linux has seen in a long time.

That's unfair, to say that <i>all</i> of either the people who had replied previously (or do you refer to Linux gamers in general?) are unwilling to pay for native linux games. To try and use this as some kind of proof of why Loki Software died, is quite incorrect. Sure, if every Linux user in the world bought every game they could (stock providing) then things might have been different, simply through volume of in-bound cash to the company...but things are never as cut & dried as that.

As for those who "never" buy commerical Linux software, well, I can only point to how http://www.tuxgames.com is now entirely out of stock for Alpha Centauri, and only recently managed to find new stock of other games, for evidence that there are certainly people buying games.

But who...and what... is a different matter entirely.

As far as the Transgaming debate goes, I must admit I am a subscriber, but only because a Deus Ex mod I used to work on have just released the first episode, and I wanted to be able to play it :)

*cough* The Cassandra Project *cough*]

I do personally believe that in time the Transgaming project will fizzle out. I also believe that this is a good thing. In the mean time, I believe it is helping to persuade more and more Windows users to make the jump to Linux (perhaps completely, and for good) and this can only be a good thing. Of course, if they could already play native Linux Vice City then the numbers would be even greater, but that's simply unrealistic to consider at this point.[/url]
qfingers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlCKB0Y wrote:
You're doing something wrong then...simple as that.

This only effects people who weren't paying for their product anyways, so why the hell do you think they would care if you are all mad that they actually want to keep their company sustainable.

As much as I would like to argue. I will just let transgaming speak for itself. I just went on their page and did a search for games officially supported by Transgaming.

Did you know there are only 10?

Question: So, if all these games run, why don't they officially support them?

Answer: Because, they don't have to support them if they break.

The problem is even if your a subscriber, they don't really have to update anything, just allow you to vote and download their binaries.

But, when the advertisements come out, they claim to have over 80+ games running. Why is there such a difference?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: