64%
 64%  [ 232 ]
Total Votes : 357

idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fbreuer wrote:
The information there is not what I am looking for. The Kernel Howto explains a lot about patching and compiling the kernel, the files involved, the boot process, the concept of modules and has a troubleshooting section. However, it does not explain the individual options found when configuring the kernel, nor does it offer concise explanations how to add a certian feature:
if want USB support I have to check the USB Howto, if I have a CD burner I have to search for info about "burning CD's under Linux", if I want setup a gateway I have to find a Howto on IP-masquerading, etc. etc.

The LDP is certainly a great place to start looking. However, IMHO, the answers to "which options do I need to compile into my kernel?" questions are scattered. It takes a long time find them and I would rather spend that time understanding them.

I learnt my way around the kernel simply by reading the 'help' for each option. It often tells you that you'll need to enable another option for this option to work correctly. They also provide URLs for extra reading.

I can allmost configure 2.6 with my eyes closed now, so for once, reading the help was worthwhile :lol:
sephtin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what he meant.. was for different functions and such, what all needed to be included with the kernel. For example.. for Laptops with Cardbus, you might need:

##PCMCIA/CardBus support ---> * PCMCIA/CardBus support
##PCMCIA/CardBus support ---> * CardBus support
##Network device Support ---> PCMCIA network device support ---> (appropriate cards)

Another example, might be for an IDE Burner, you need:
##SCSI support ---> M SCSI support
##SCSI support ---> M SCSI CD-ROM support
##SCSI support ---> M SCSI generic support
And then need to add the ide-scsi\nsg\nsr_mod modules to modules.autoload.

Those are the kinds of things that I've found to be the biggest pain with Kernel config. I have hopes that someday, automation will detect, or simply prompt me for these kinds of things, and config it for me.. ;)
IE: do you have an IDE CD-Rom? (y/n): where y will modify the kernel config, log it to a log file for reference (or maybe even tell you what it changed), ............ but I digress.
(Ok.. flame-bait.. but Wouldn't it be nice!?!)

My worst nightmare with kernel config'ing, is getting the machine to shut down. For some motherboards, to get shutdown -h or halt to completely shut down the machine, I have to compile with APM. With some, I have to compile with APCI. Nowhere does it say "if you have this hardware, or this chip, or ??? then you need "this" set of options in the kernel.

Again, I think this is off topic, (and correct me if I'm wrong,) but I beleive this is more towards what he was referring to when he said that kernel documentation is a little lacking.

I will be the first to admit, once I've gotten kernel config'd the way I like it on a particular piece of hardware, I'm happy.. but when I change systems, or help someone else... I have NEVER gotten things to work perfectly within the kernel on the first try. I always either miss something or mess something up.
Documentation that helps with these types of issues would be invaluable to me... and I think is what fbreuer was referring to... ??
John
cyclebrock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: genkernel --config Reply with quote

Somebody else mentioned that they scripted their kernel builds after doing the initial configuration. I've been doing that since I started using Gentoo. Now though, I've started to use the "genkernel --config" switch which basically opens up "make menuconfig" before doing the "make dep......." dance that I've always scripted anyway. This gives me the best of both worlds, a consistent building process, and the ability to customize the kernel to my liking.

I'm not a hardened veteran yet so maybe I'm missing something but I see no difference between the finished product the old way and new way. aside from the additional init.rd stuff.
searcher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i'm reading through this topic i see different sentiments. On the one side you will have the power users (as masseya pointed out, they are the target audience for gentoo) and on the the other hand the users that want a "quick fix". When i started out using gentoo i used slackware for a while as a server. Out of the box with a small firewall script. I couldn't do anything in linux. So i started reading, and tinkering. I must have messed up at least 20 linux installs. This is how you learn.

At that point i switched over to gentoo. Gentoo is not hard to comprehend, if you are willing to put in the time. You will need to show interest and sacrifice some time to study how it works. If you want something that's done right away you will need to find another distro, such as knoppix, which comes preconfigured.

It all boils down to what you want to do with your pc. Do you want to build it or use it? I enjoy tinkering and doing some programming for school on the side. But i'm not an average user. A better guide on what options are needed for which bit of functionality would be nice, and in my opinion would be more valuable then an automated script which keeps the user oblivious to how the kernel works, and what the system needs to work. If you have no interest in how the inner workings of your gentoo system work (or at least how you want to configure it) gentoo probably isn't for you. If you don't how to do something there are thousands of people willing to help on this forum, and you will learn.

~searcher
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
Yes, I know it doesn't affect me directly, but I believe it does affect the type of users in the Gentoo community, which I might add is a huge part of Gentoo's success. I don't have to answer them, but that doesn't mean they can't be damaging to the community if a large amount of posts from newbies are complaints because something didn't work the way they expected, and ofcourse they have no idea why..... genkernel.

I also agree with paranode's referal to the 'slippery slope'.
I will freely admit that the community is important, but I am unwilling to accept that making it easier or more attractive for newbies to use Gentoo is fundamentally harmful to the community in some way.

If you don't like genkernel and you don't like it when newbies say things like, "Genkernl is borked. Now what?" Tell them you need more details and error outpur. Tell them to compile it by hand. Tell them that it's not as automated, but that you have more control. If they are going through a Gentoo Linux install then this concept should already be clear to them. Whatever you do, don't bash the tool because people don't know how to use it.

Genkernel is fairly similar to portage in that they both help automate tasks that are more complex to do by hand. Both are possible to do manually and easy for those with the knowledge. How many posts are there on the forum that basically say "Portage is broke. Fix it."? How did the community manage to survive as such an asset with all these posts? I think it's because some very nice people were willing to ask questions and help out until the problem got solved and things were working again. The same thing can happen with genkernel.
murkus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paranode wrote:

I think a document on how to configure your kernel would be many times more valuable than this genkernel.

That would indeed be A Great Thing (tm) ;)
I was a bit scared about all the options in manual kernel option. Now that I could use genkernel to get my system running was really nice. Now I can take my time to study menuconfig at my own pace while having functioning system!
Had I had nicely laid out document on kernel configuration at hand I propably wouldn't been scared at all.. ;)

.murkus
bcavalieri
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genkernel is fantastic, I have gentoo installed on 10 servers and over a hundred desktops (using ltsp).

genkernel makes the kernel a snap, since it builds the initrd and the hd detections works for most of the desktops.
fbreuer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sephtin wrote:
I think what he meant.. was for different functions and such, what all needed to be included with the kernel. For example.. for Laptops with Cardbus, you might need:

##PCMCIA/CardBus support ---> * PCMCIA/CardBus support
##PCMCIA/CardBus support ---> * CardBus support
##Network device Support ---> PCMCIA network device support ---> (appropriate cards)

Another example, might be for an IDE Burner, you need:
##SCSI support ---> M SCSI support
##SCSI support ---> M SCSI CD-ROM support
##SCSI support ---> M SCSI generic support
And then need to add the ide-scsi\nsg\nsr_mod modules to modules.autoload.
Thanks sephtin, those are exactly the situations I was referring to. Sorry I wasn't more clear about it in the first place.

sephtin wrote:
Those are the kinds of things that I've found to be the biggest pain with Kernel config. ... Documentation that helps with these types of issues would be invaluable to me... and I think is what fbreuer was referring to... ??
My sentiments exactly.

searcher wrote:
It all boils down to what you want to do with your pc. Do you want to build it or use it? I enjoy tinkering and doing some programming for school on the side. But i'm not an average user. A better guide on what options are needed for which bit of functionality would be nice, and in my opinion would be more valuable then an automated script which keeps the user oblivious to how the kernel works, and what the system needs to work. If you have no interest in how the inner workings of your gentoo system work (or at least how you want to configure it) gentoo probably isn't for you. If you don't how to do something there are thousands of people willing to help on this forum, and you will learn.

The "getting to the system you are using" is what appealed to me about gentoo in the first place. And the forums are big help understanding what is really going on in my computer. I just think that a single reference doc, a howto on kernel-options, would make learning more effective for me. (I.e. more effective than learning kernel-options using the forums or autogenerating kernels with genkernel.)
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love genkernel,
Code:
genkernel --config
is sweet.

It's pleasing to see the install guide has instructions for both methods. I do think that it is important to understand how to do things manually and not rely on things that may not always work. Gentoo is a great distro because you can learn how things are put together. It's also good to have the tools to automate tasks which are repetitve, thats the whole purpose of computing isn't it?
Jet Dee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to give my 2 cents here: as a newbie to Gentoo myself, I felt a little relieved when it came to my third attempt to successfully Stage 1. Genkernel seemed like a good idea, reminding me a little, only a little mind :wink: , of Plug and Play (tm). However, I think it needs to come with a GIANT warning. I spent a week trying to figure out why my ethernet card kept breaking whenever I booted up, and eventually I came to the conclusion that it was the combination of Genkernel and Hotplug doing the dirty.

I feel there is potential for Genkernel, it just needs more work. The make menuconfig utility in Gentoo is, if i say so myself, fantastic. Not only is it clean and concise, but there is a help option available for all options, should a newbie not understand. I used this quite a lot, and I found it to be great. It also helps you to understand more about the Boot process, and how to "streamline" the kernel to speed up the process when you gain more knowledge.

So, in conclusion, just add a warning to the Doc!
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good thing, if a part of the install can be as easy as

emerge genkernel
genkernel
emerge hotplug
rc-update add hotplug default

then that's much better than trying to explain a user why he has to compile support for 8139too to get his laptop network card working.

there could maybe be a genkernel --graphical or something, that'll throw in a make menuconfig, but will copy in the new kernel automaticaly, so newbie's also can try to be power users ;)

I wouldn't use it, but I think it's a good thing :)
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:

emerge genkernel
genkernel
emerge hotplug

And what would they have learned from doing that?
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
neuron wrote:

emerge genkernel
genkernel
emerge hotplug

And what would they have learned from doing that?

linux doesen't have to be hard, then we can tell them "it'll go faster if you compile into the kernel", and they'll be off figuring out how to do that ;)
srodney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Here are my views Reply with quote

Dear All
My feeling on this subject is this. There seem to be many people who think that Linux is a religion and that you will never fully experience the religion unless you suffer.
An analogy came to me. If I wanted a car to my tastes and preferences, I can build one from scratch myself (LFS); a person with no mechanical experience whatsoever, or I could buy a kit that provides me with the parts and tools necessary to construct one (Gentoo).
We are wasting time and energy arguing over whether a certain spanner should be included in the toolkit or not. If “newbies” use the tool and ask for help it should be given with without rancour. After all none of us were born with instant GNU/Linux Guru status and today’s “newbie” is next weeks “Tux's lil' helper” and we will need them in the years ahead as the next round in GNU/Linux’s development is coming. Consolidation.
Already SuSe has fired the first shots and if the Gentoo community wants to be a survive we need the newbies to form the foundation for moving to the next level

*Life is a garden. Dig it*
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if they need a generalized kernel for those who can't handle configuring their own, Gentoo should just give them the .config file from the LiveCD and let them do the rest. That's easy enough without turning it into a magical script without any clue what's going on.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Here are my views Reply with quote

srodney wrote:
After all none of us were born with instant GNU/Linux Guru status and today’s “newbie” is next weeks “Tux's lil' helper” and we will need them in the years ahead as the next round in GNU/Linux’s development is coming.

Exactly, and they aren't going to become a guru if they don't know how to manualy configure the kernel.
quanta67
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I don't get you CL facists. I know that's not quite the subject, but it sounds like the next words on the tip of the original posters tongue is, "and while I'm at it, why do we even allow n00bs to use GUIs at all?"

It's a slippery slope to stupidity if you ask me.

I mean come on, if you hardcore nerds were given a choice between a quick and simple way to do a thing and a hard way to do a thing, are you seriously saying that, even after having done it a thousand times already, you would still choose the long hard laborious way each time?

Sometimes real people actually have lives and it isn't possible for them to invest countless hours doing the same old tasks over and over again, while having most of their time taken up with just maintaining their PC's. So the next thing you might say I guess is, 'why then use Gentoo at all?' The answer is obvious. Gentoo is a superior distribution. It doesn't hold your hand through everything, but once you have it configured it is amazingly easy to maintain.

Anyway there is such a thing as a Gentoo graphical installer. Its called GLIS and is being worked on by a number of official Gentoo developers, so I guess your worst nigfhtmare of an easy to install easy to configure Gentoo is likely to soon come true.

However I fall into the camp that so long as you can still spend countless days doing the same old repetative tasks ad-infinitum, then you shouldn't be worried waht other people do.

For me I think there is a breed of human out there who is a CL fanatic - and who becomes deeply distressed at even the remote possiblity that the CL will somehow be depreciated in their OS. Let me assure you now, hopefully for once and for all, that that is never ever going to happen.

Q
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me 's a huge fan of dumbifying things. So anyone can use it, aslong as I still have access to all the advanced stuff, I'm fine with that.

same with the whole "why are we mimicing windows gui" deal, it is'nt the windows gui that's flawed... the windows gui works perfectly well, it's been in development for years, and they'v taken input from many sources (such as apple for example).

the only thing a install system could do terribly wrong is stuff like default user root, aslong as that won't happen, and I still have access to the advanced stuff, I'm 100% supporting making it easier for anyone to use.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quanta67 wrote:
Damn I don't get you CL facists. I know that's not quite the subject, but it sounds like the next words on the tip of the original posters tongue is, "and while I'm at it, why do we even allow n00bs to use GUIs at all?"

"not quite" the subject? You couldn't get further from it...
The debate here is about n00bs not learning as much as they perhaps should considering Gentoo's original target audience (power users).

Quote:
It's a slippery slope to stupidity if you ask me.

I feel the same way about dumbing down.

Quote:
I mean come on, if you hardcore nerds were given a choice between a quick and simple way to do a thing and a hard way to do a thing, are you seriously saying that, even after having done it a thousand times already, you would still choose the long hard laborious way each time?

No I wouldn't. But there is a difference between doing it the easy way to beging with, than learning first then doing it the easy way.
Genkernel produces a config that I would deem unsuitable for my system, so I wouldn't use it for it ease of use anyway.

Quote:
So the next thing you might say I guess is, 'why then use Gentoo at all?' The answer is obvious. Gentoo is a superior distribution. It doesn't hold your hand through everything, but once you have it configured it is amazingly easy to maintain.

If you configured it yourself then you'd be the proud owner of some brand new knowledge.
Genkernel however, does more than hold your hand, it grabs the paper, wipes your ass then flushes the toilet aswell. So what you gonna do next time you need a shit and genkernel isn't around? :lol:

Quote:
However I fall into the camp that so long as you can still spend countless days doing the same old repetative tasks ad-infinitum, then you shouldn't be worried waht other people do.

I don't use genkernel, and I don't find building my kernel repetative... I configured my kernel once when moving over to 2.5/2.6. When a new test release comes out I simply copy it across, make oldconfig, make bzImage and I'm done. I'd say that was a lot faster than genkernel, plus I have a config that suits my wants and needs - minus the bloat.
ewenger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Genkernel - blessing or curse? Reply with quote

I don't know what kind of bee got in your bonnet but you should get a few things straight before you run off screaming...

I've been using Linux since 1994 and I have never had as much trouble as I've had with Gentoo 1.4 and genkernel. I have built my own kernels many times and the one thing those attempts had in common was SUCCESS. Unfortunately I've not had the same experience with Gentoo.

Let me be clear.

I built the kernel the first time using gentoo-sources and genkernel. No DEVFS!!! How does that work? Then I tried building the kernel with menuconfig and enabled devfs. Now I got a booting kernel. Then I thought ck-sources was the source distribution for me. Menuconfig doesn't even present the option of adding DEVFS to the kernel!!!

I think we completely agree with each other on one point, genkernel should never have been released. And neither should gentoo 1.4...

One last item. I have been excited about using gentoo for three months now and I have been EAGERLY awaiting the release of 1.4 to install it for the first time. That is the reason I am so terribly disappointed; having used the BSD ports before I loved the idea of getting my own custom distribution. If I didn't care, I would never have posted this...

paranode wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of pissy newbies getting mad because genkernel doesn't work for them. This is exactly the problem I feared with all the talk about people wanting to turn Gentoo into an automated installation and have the kernel configured for them. If this trend continues we're going to turn into another distro were people don't really know what they're doing. It's great that people are flocking to try Gentoo but I think we should keep the integrity with which it started and not fall down a slippery slope towards automation. It can be a challenge installing Gentoo but that's the point. It's a learning experience and I think you should learn how to compile and configure a kernel if you are going to use Linux, especially Gentoo. All this griping about "wah, gentoo blows dood, the kernel doesn't work, blah" gets on my nerves, sorry for the rant.

What do you seasoned users think?
Techie2000
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I have no problem with Gentoo giving the users the option of using automated tools to do the installs as long as they allow me to continue to do it the old fashioned way. Newbies can be initiated and inducted into our ranks. We should welcome them with open arms, convert them, and send them out to convert their friends...:)
senectus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genkernel is great if your in a hurry.

But GenKernel could have been avoided if the "in kernel help" type doco was of a higher standard.

when your in the kernel and config'ing you have no idea what something is you need to be able to ask and be inform straight away.. much of the kernel doco SUCKS. Its either way to tech or there isn't anything there at all!

that being said.. I still prefer make menuconfig :-)
Wise man say: A skilled troll is a master baiter.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how about my little idea, genkernel --graphical, maybe even force it.

genkernel sets up a kernel with stuff required by gentoo, such as devfs atm. With a crapload of stuff as modules, then launches make menuconfig. Then the newbies who wishes to use genkernel and can go in and turn off stuff they don't need. If they know how. After that it installs.

"Menuconfig doesn't even present the option of adding DEVFS to the kernel!!!"
as stated in the install instructions, you need to enable show experimental stuff ;)
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my perspective its about ease of use. If the help docs for kernel configuration were more explanatory then yes fair enough, maybe doing kernel compiling the long way would be ok, but many options in the kernel are pretty obscure - and for a n00b there is often no way of telling what is needed and what isn't.

In any case for all you guys that don't trust it, there's genkernel --config, which puts you fully back in the driving seat where the only options that need to be selected are the ones you choose. Then it just becomes an argument about whether you preffer having to add or remove components. And really that argument is just completely trivial.

You still have the choice - all it is is a suggested n00b configuration. If you don't like it; change it. It's that simple.

Q
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
so how about my little idea, genkernel --graphical, maybe even force it.

genkernel sets up a kernel with stuff required by gentoo, such as devfs atm. With a crapload of stuff as modules, then launches make menuconfig. Then the newbies who wishes to use genkernel and can go in and turn off stuff they don't need. If they know how. After that it installs.

This is what genkernel --config does.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: