View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnlyTux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: [solved]Intel 945GM hardware acceleration won't work anymore Reply with quote

Hello guys,
Unfortunately I am here with another problem, again...

My Gentoo box is a stable 32bit installation and I am having problems with the graphics acceleration. I have recently been experiencing slow graphics performance, so today I took some time to investigate the problem, and found that hardware acceleration is no more present in my computer.

The data:
- the hardware
Code:
# lspci |grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

- my .config

- the xorg.conf

- the emerge --info

- the /var/log/Xorg.0.log

- the problem
Code:
# glxinfo|grep direct
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

What I did:
- re-compiled twice my 2.6.25-r6 kernel, everything seems ok, according to the informations of the wiki.

- re-emerged xorg-x11 and xorg-server and run a revdep-rebuild. Nothing wrong was found, nothing changed.

Hardware acceleration used to work, my cheap notebook was never as fast as a space shuttle, but it worked properly. Moving a window through the screen is a pain to see, now. And also web pages scroll jerkily. I have no idea where stands the problem. I also tried enabling-disabling something in xorg.conf, but it was unuseful so I replaced everything as it was.

Thanks in advance for your patience and your help.

Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Last edited by OnlyTux on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets start with a few things:

comment (add # infront) to the following lines from /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/
/usr/share/fonts/OTF/
/usr/share/fonts/winfonts

Change in /etc/make.conf VIDEO_CARDS="i810" from i810 to intel, then: emerge -auvND world && emerge -C xf86-video-i810 This should solve the problem, if not:

Your error message is:
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

Apperantly your driver is not symlinked to /usr/lib/dri. Try eselect opengl list and then eselect opengl set <intel>, where intel is your driver.
OnlyTux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much defenderBG,
I switched the VIDEO_CARDS to intel, updated world (which re-emerged mesa and xf86-video-intel), did a revdep-rebuild, rebooted the system and now I have:
Code:
direct rendering: Yes

The VIDEO_CARDS was set to i810 in one of my many fruitless attempts to correctly configure the framebuffer for my laptop and I must have forgotten to set it back.
Also the useless font lines in xorg.conf were added for previous font problems and never deleted... what a noob I am :(

However, eselect says:
Code:
$ eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   xorg-x11 *

I never had any intel related options. Noob question: is it a problem, in your opinion?

Ah, I am sorry I made an almost identical duplicate of this thread.
Unfortunately I found it only after your suggestions. There the eselect issue is not cleared up, though.

Thank you very much, again.

Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know all OSS drivers are identified as xorg-x11. I use the ati one and they are identified in the same way, so I suppose it is ok.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: