alsa+emu10k1 issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwydion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: alsa+emu10k1 issues Reply with quote

Ok, I'm about ready to take a fucking shotgun to this computer... I'm so pissed right now.

I cannot, for the life of me, get sound out of it. Can someone help me get started as far as what information I need to figure it out? dmesg, log files, error messages, etc. I'm unfamiliar with alsa and how it works (always just used the oss emu10k1 with my old live card) .

Now apparently I need either alsa or emu10k1 for this to work, and I'd like to try to get it working with alsa if possible, just to make the upgrade to 2.6.x easier.

I just re-emerged alsa-driver alsa-utils, alsa-xmms, and gnome-alsamixer. Everything went smoothly, no errors, glitches, nada.

I edited /etc/modules.d/alsa (I think... the one listed in the ebuild warning) and listed my card's module as snd_emu10k1 Then I ran 'rc-update add alsasound boot' 'modules-update' and rebooted. On reboot, I got the message about the mixer being muted, so I checked my volume levels, and as root, increased the PCM volume to normal. I think that's about it...

what can I check next?

Help? Please? :?
Linux User #223670
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first off, what kind of emu10k1 card is it? I was helping someone install Gentoo on a Dell and for the life of us we couldn't get sound working, and it turned out he had some cruddy Dell SB Live! Value (or something like that)... I think we eventually discovered that the chip is different somehow and is only supported by pay drivers.
Have you tried playing stuff with aplay?

(so I guess first thing would be an appropriate dmesg entry)
gwydion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, woops... as you can see, I was pretty scatterbrained, and didn't even think about that. It's a generic OEM Audigy 2. Not the Dell-specific live issue.

I thought I had found the issue in that I had alsa installed, and was attempting to install the emu10k1 package (didn't know alsa was installed or that they don't like each other). Anyway, I decided to remove the emu10k1 package and stick with alsa, as I said above, to make it easier to go to 2.6.

I'm thinking about just reinstalling from stage 1 again, with what I know now about alsa, and seeing if it will work there... since most people I've seen posting to the various alsa threads report stuff "just working" on their first tries.
Linux User #223670
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Fraid I can't help too much, I just have a normal Audigy ;)

Check this thread to see if you find anything useful (if you didn't look already): https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=30931, check your dmesg for any odd looking warnings/errors, and try some low-complexity stuff, like aplay as suggested in the Gentoo ALSA doc.

Other than that it's hard to say without specifics, I'm one of the people that his card just worked for.
gwydion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I already read through that whole thread, and tried playing a simple wav file with aplay per the alsa docs. Still no dice. I've pretty much given up, and am going to install as soon as I get the chance.

In the meantime I have to roll a whole two feet over to my XP box to hit up di.fm. Sigh... such an effort :cry:
Linux User #223670
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: