Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can you convince me that Gentoo is going forward?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gossoon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Can you convince me that Gentoo is going forward? Reply with quote

Hi All

Firstly please don't see this post as a rant or an invitation to start berating me. I have a serious question. Please bear with me.

I have been using Linux since around 1998, i was tasked with setting up a DNS server for the company i worked for. In those days DNS needed about a bajillion configuration files to work properly, and it took about a week to setup :) , the sense of achievement was awesome. I was hooked on Linux.

I moved to Linux 90% of the time at work, setup print servers and samba shares, people saw the advantage of linux, vmware was new then, but i could run NT4 and Win98 in a virtual machine. people were in awe. (i never thought vmware would turn into the huge success it has).

In about 2000/2001 i landed a job as an AIX admin, purely because the UNIX guys didn't know linux and needed help with a new fangled RedHat server. I joined the team and worked on the commandline for 3 years. I became proficient in shell scripting, mainly ksh and moved to perl quite quickly (much to the disgust of the hard core UNIX admins).

I had always had a linux box at home but wanted a more streamlined, faster more productive box. I was running Suse if i remember correrectly. I found Gentoo.

I tested 2004 edition on a spare box, pentium 166, i went for a stage 1 install. I think it took 2-3 days before i got into a fully working system. It was awesome.

I used Gentoo for around 3 years, until the brown nightmare they refer to as Ubuntu arrived. I must admit Ubuntu is good, very heavy but good. I have 2 friends who i have installed it for. 1 is a music teacher, the other is a college student.

I moved back down from Ubuntu to Debian - much faster, very stable, goot features. a little tempremental at times with configuration but generally faster by a long shot than Ubuntu.

My question, with the fragmentation that i saw in the past, can i come back to Gentoo now and feel comfortable with what i install. Or is Gentoo now a shadow of what it used to be.

Oh and if you read all that thank's, i needed to get it all out

Regards

Gossoon
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been using Gentoo since 2003. I have it on as many servers at work that I can and I think its far better than all the other distributions out there for your ability to totally customise it. Also, there are 1000's of packages in Portage and if its not there, you have the Layman overlay system to provide even more packages or you can easily write your own ebuild.

For me I use Gentoo as a Server OS rather than a Desktop OS. I have to integrate with many different types of systems and software at work so a Windows Desktop is more compatible and well, just easier. I may one day migrate over to a Linux Desktop and think "Why didn't I do this sooner!" but I haven't the need for it yet. So I guess it all comes down to what you need, what you like and what your comfortable with.

The one thing I like about Gentoo is its autobuild service. This service helps to keep the install images up to date and this is a great asset to our distribution. We don't need to do a release every few months and think up funky names for it like other distributions as our install media is always the latest that can be created.

If you want to get your hands dirty and really understand what makes a Linux system work then get back into using Gentoo. If you don't want to get your hands dirty and you want a Windows like Linux world thats nice and easy and already created for you then go for Ubuntu.

Bottom line is that Gentoo is great... Yes it went through a rocky patch, but it seems to be mostly over that now.

Rich
gossoon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich

Thanks for the honest and sensible reply.

I have never had a problem with 'down and dirty' and love bespoke configuration (hence my original love of Gentoo), my worry was over the general problems i had around 2007ish. I seem to remember some of the main devs going elsewhere and various things were breaking in my Gentoo boxes. (although fixable i felt Gentoo itself was falling apart too)

I will start installing within the hour, just doing a backup...... will post back my impression of 2010 Gentoo

Gossoon
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted purely a desktop system for surfing, and writing the occasional document, I'd go with Ubuntu, which is also what I installed for my gf.

But because I to like the 'down and dirty' parts of linux, I think Gentoo is great. For running servers, I love it. The gentoo team does a great job with security http://labs.mwrinfosecurity.com/notices/security_mechanisms_in_linux_environment__part_1___userspace_memory_protection/ and servers get sensible defaults.
The default settings in the ubuntu terminal also frustrate me to no end, which no colors what so ever one dimension is missing in the information, and I can't (don't know how?) to use the semi-intelligent "page-up" search in Ubuntu.

Portage also slowly gets increasingly intelligent in its behaviour, which eases maintenance.
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letharion wrote:
Portage also slowly gets increasingly intelligent in its behaviour, which eases maintenance.

I totally agree with that... Portage has evolved nicely over the past few years :-)
Jimini
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Gentoo for about 4 years now. It was the first linux distribution that really fascinated me, although it was frustrating from time to time, but the experience to build your own, customized system compensated that by far. I started with Gentoo on my router, which grow to a http- / ftp- and irc-server. By the time, my other systems changed from WinXP to Gentoo.
I don't use Gentoo (or Linux in general) in a job-related way (aside from a Debian-VM), but during the last years, I gained experience in administrating linux on several clients and servers at home.
Fortunately, Portage has become more and more intelligent - as already said. I have tried many other distributions yet (Debian, *buntu, Slackware, Arch, Mandriva, SuSe), but the way these distributions handled the installation of software annoyed me. It was too unflexible and too stupid, so after a short time, I gave up using these distributions. And of course, I always wanted a system which contains only the software that I really need. The flexibility and the possibility to customize my system to my own needs, that are the big advantages of Gentoo to me.

Some months ago, I installed Kubuntu on my girlfriends' notebook and assisted her while she made her first steps. She came from windows, so it was an improvement for me, no question ;)
But after a few weeks I noticed the limitations of apt; then, two weeks ago, I installed Gentoo on her desktop - until now, it works fine.
I guess that for me, there is no alternative to Gentoo anymore, I have found "my" operating system.

Best regards,
Jimini
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that Gentoo/portage does really well that I don't like at all in Ubuntu, is how the packages are named.
Because of the use-flags, mysql is called, mysql.
Amarok is called, amarok.
In ubuntu, whenever you search for anything, you get so many options even I get confused about which to install.
I'm really hoping Kuroo will show up soon (and be kick ass good), so people not quite so comfortable with a CLI can use Gentoo better.

Not really a new thing, Gentoo has worked like that for as long as I've used it, but still :)
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you convince me that Gentoo is going forward? Reply with quote

gossoon wrote:
My question, with the fragmentation that i saw in the past, can i come back to Gentoo now and feel comfortable with what i install. Or is Gentoo now a shadow of what it used to be.

what makes you think "Gentoo now a shadow of what it used to be"? something must've triggered this thought.

i don't see this as being the case, being a gentoo user from 03 i think.
Raptor85
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage is a godsend and getting better all the time.

For the past few years I've been moving to a pure Gentoo setup, all my servers desktops and everything run gentoo now. (including my ps3, my Raq2, and a few other odd machines :) ). Couldn't imagine using any other system at this point.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Rawr. Reply with quote

While I have hardly the experience of Linux to speak of (tried Ubuntu briefly some year(s) ago), ny experiences with Gentoo have been more than surprising, positive and exciting even!

I do not actually remember how I ended up finding out about Gentoo in the first place. Probably more or less randomly via a general Linux website or something, but either way, my first experiences were from trying it out on an older box, and it was really fun even with all the difficulties I had. Now, for some weeks, I've been using it full-time for my main desktop where I do everything I do (gaming, reading, conversing, programming, everything except video editing I have not yet looked into). I partly decided to try Gentoo on the main-computer due to weird sluggishness under xP especially during multi-tasking (several applications running) after I got some new hardware including a 6-core AMD CPU. So I tried win7 but I kept getting bluescreen a lot pretty randomly. Gentoo has yet to crash in any way though one time the computer had restarted for some reason, I still don't know why (I do have a suspicion towards my PSU which is, or was brand new as well)...

In the beginning, I think the most fun came from the fact how you build it, reminds me of my early computer times with a Commodore 64 and the first PC with some M$DOS diskettes... This time around it was a "bit" more "high-tech" though.

I've been very positively suprised about how I keep getting things to work, and how easy it has been and becomes even more easy as I learn new things. I did have a bit of a guard against Linux because I had no experience of UNIX etc. at all so it was pretty much completely new. But as I said, things are working nicely, even games, not running as well as under windoze sure, but well enough, and it feels great to not be so tied-in-to using a certain OS.

In short, I like Linux, specifically Gentoo more and more so that gotta mean something!
Could well be THE ONE for me. ^^

And as a conclusion, gotta mention the community here and amongst Linux in general. It makes me like it a great deal more!
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I think Gentoo hasn't really gone anywhere in the 4years i've used it. That's not a bad thing. The state of the tree has fluctuated over time but there's one thing I'm noticing; the state of the documentation. They used to be bombproof but now I see a half-finished or outdated page every so often. For example:

lvm2 There's nothing about Grub, let alone Grub2.

Gentoo isn't the whizz-bang features of other Distro's, it's the configurability of portage in Gentoo's documentation. For me, it's the latter that is slipping.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regomodo wrote:

Hm, just why would you need boot manager instructions there? Information on how to install grub can be found elsewhere on gentoo.org.
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
regomodo wrote:

Hm, just why would you need boot manager instructions there? Information on how to install grub can be found elsewhere on gentoo.org.

You'd think so but i've spent a day perusing the interwebs and #funtoo and got nowhere. Standard install with mdadm takes me little time. Putting lvm into the loop has thrown me.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't find this?
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
You didn't find this?

That's not Grub2. It's moot anyway; my patience has expired and submitted defeat by using Ubuntu. It's a mythtv box i'm building and having got Sunday free.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grub2 isn't even keyworded for testing, why would you expect official documentation on it?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. There has never been documentation for masked packages. Wait until it's actually there or do it yourself and share your experience so someone can build up on it. There actually once was discussion on grub2 in fgo/Unsupported Software, finding that shouldn't be a miracle.
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM088 wrote:
Grub2 isn't even keyworded for testing, why would you expect official documentation on it?

Oops. Appears unkeyword-Grub2 is part of Funtoo.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is interesting, and surely then they should be able to answer your questions. ;)

As long as the grub2 hompage says this, I'm not so sure it is going to be stabilized in Gentoo:
GRUB2 FAQ wrote:
It is usable, but we are still making incompatible changes from time to time.

/topic

Judging by recent events, I'd say Gentoo is as alive as ever. Between discovery of a nice new kde-wicd client and an ebuild entering kde-overlay only about 12 hours went by.
Ormaaj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the ultimate argument against any sort of "Gentoo is dead" FUD is the fact that Gentoo is currently the only thing out there that does anything close to what Gentoo does (source based and rolling release meta-distro). So long as the need for such a distro doesn't go away neither will support and development. Maybe someday Exherbo will take over but I'm not holding my breath.
slonocode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ormaaj wrote:
Basically the ultimate argument against any sort of "Gentoo is dead" FUD is the fact that Gentoo is currently the only thing out there that does anything close to what Gentoo does (source based and rolling release meta-distro). So long as the need for such a distro doesn't go away neither will support and development. Maybe someday Exherbo will take over but I'm not holding my breath.

Gentoo is dead in the sense that it didn't live up to it's promise or potential and the quality is in decline. It used to be that the time invested in installing and maintaining gentoo bore fruit in the way of an up to date, lean, fast machine in which often things that didn't work on other distro's could be made to work on gentoo. Now the time is wasted in barely getting equal functionality as binary distros. The only supposed benefit is some misguided fuzzy feeling that you magically left out support for postgres or mp3...woohoo. Sure you can make a pretty nice minimalist server or you could jerk off on it because you feel good about cobbling together a desktop and making it function.

It's much more likely that gentoo is currently the only thing out there that does what it does because it's been passed by. Binary distros caught up and passed it negating most of the benefits.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slonocode wrote:
Ormaaj wrote:

Gentoo is dead in the sense that it didn't live up to it's promise or potential and the quality is in decline. It used to be that the time invested in installing and maintaining gentoo bore fruit in the way of an up to date, lean, fast machine in which often things that didn't work on other distro's could be made to work on gentoo. Now the time is wasted in barely getting equal functionality as binary distros. The only supposed benefit is some misguided fuzzy feeling that you magically left out support for postgres or mp3...woohoo. Sure you can make a pretty nice minimalist server or you could jerk off on it because you feel good about cobbling together a desktop and making it function.

It's much more likely that gentoo is currently the only thing out there that does what it does because it's been passed by. Binary distros caught up and passed it negating most of the benefits.

This certainly hasn't been my experience. Personally I think Gentoo is even easier than ever to manage. I remember the days before news items and even ELOG messages - The days when if you didn't follow the dev lists on a regular basis, the big surprises would just creep up and bite you when they broke your world / system update and you had to spend a good hour or so treading through all the ruckus on the forums to find out exactly why and what the solution was.

I don't know what people think is wrong with the quality of Gentoo, because nobody ever says - they just say it's broken, but can never desscribe how or why they think it's broken. Personally I find Gentoo keeps all the packages I find important up-to-date. There are occaisionally some larger gaps between projects releasing updates and those update releasing the package tree (usually for major updates - eg. KDE4 or PHP3), but I expect that from a volunteer project that's constantly understaffed and basically runs on love and beer.

Many of the devs and contributors to Gentoo do amazing amounts of work - and there needs to be more UK meetups so I can buy some of them around!

The promise of Gentoo? What is that? To my knowledge Gentoo has never promised anything. So has it lived up to what it promised me? Yes. And far more.

Gentoo's potential? Gentoo is an awesome distro that's easy to use, works for me instead of against me and fulfills both my needs and additional desires (eg. tinkering). Does it have potential? Of course it does. There are extremely few things in existance which are as good as they could be. The key question is, what is it currently lacking from your point of view? Do you have suggestions about how to improve things? Have you filed issues about them or sent mails to the dev lists?

What exactly do you think is wrong with Gentoo and why? Suggestions for fixes? (that don't involve "more manpower" - altho that does seem to be coming as the stream of new developer posts to the lists seems to have picked up a little recently, which is nice to see). Have you filed issues about them or sent mails to the dev lists?

It doesn't even have to be something big. As an example: I got annoyed with how muddled and unintuitive the navigation on the Gentoo website used to be, so I filed a bug, did some reading up and filed a patch to fix it. It took me a good few hours and I had to learn about the godawful XML based crud the website is built with, but now everyone benefits from a cleaner, easier to understand navigation =)
slonocode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
slonocode wrote:
Ormaaj wrote:

This certainly hasn't been my experience. Personally I think Gentoo is even easier than ever to manage. I remember the days before news items and even ELOG messages - The days when if you didn't follow the dev lists on a regular basis, the big surprises would just creep up and bite you when they broke your world / system update and you had to spend a good hour or so treading through all the ruckus on the forums to find out exactly why and what the solution was.

And as I said the time spent maintaining bore fruit in those days. And let's not pretend that if someone's box gets fucked up today and they weren't following the dev lists and every other crevice you would blame them for not doing that.

Quote:

I don't know what people think is wrong with the quality of Gentoo, because nobody ever says - they just say it's broken, but can never desscribe how or why they think it's broken. Personally I find Gentoo keeps all the packages I find important up-to-date. There are occaisionally some larger gaps between projects releasing updates and those update releasing the package tree (usually for major updates - eg. KDE4 or PHP3), but I expect that from a volunteer project that's constantly understaffed and basically runs on love and beer.

I just brought up reasons it's broken. Many reasons are brought up on these forums all the time. You could either look them up or stop pretending that you never see them.
It used to be that the gaps happened in other distros and gentoo was first to include them in the tree. The fact that you expect less now is indicative of decline.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slonocode wrote:
And as I said the time spent maintaining bore fruit in those days. And let's not pretend that if someone's box gets [broken] today and they weren't following the dev lists and every other crevice you would blame them for not doing that.

I wouldn't blame them if they read the elog messages and news items and still broke their box. If the developers didn't provide enough information to correctly perform the action in the normal routes, then it's the developers fault. The users shouldn't be expected to follow the developers lists.

Frankly, I can't think of a recent instance when the information wasn't provided through the elog and news items, but maybe your experience has been different.

If you do find an instance, please file a bug and I'm sure the developers will add the necessary information if they feel it appropriate. They are, after all, human volunteers who are not infallible.

Overall the situation is vastly better than it used to be, in my opinion.

slonocode wrote:
Quote:

I just brought up reasons it's broken. Many reasons are brought up on these forums all the time. You could either look them up or stop pretending that you never see them.
It used to be that the gaps happened in other distros and gentoo was first to include them in the tree. The fact that you expect less now is indicative of decline.

Maybe I'm just reading your posts wrong then - I see a lot of whining but no actual reasons given for that whining.

Unfortunately I don't have time to read all the forums, all the time. Neither do many other people I suspect. Hence why we have [https://bugs.gentoo.org Bugzilla] as a central place where people can file issues and they are directed to the relevent developers.

Yes, Gentoo package releases did used to be slightly faster. But in my opnion, the quality wasn't there. There was a refocussing on quality over quantity / speed and that has, in my opinion, paid off. There's much less breakage than there used to be.

As I mentioned before, it's all about manpower and where do you direct those limited resources. Gentoo could reduce quality and increase the speed of releases again, but personally I think that would be a bad move.

Personally, I don't use Gentoo for the speed of releases. I use it because it provides a configurable, stable setup which I find relatively easy (compared to my experience with binary distros) for me to fix when things go wrong. I'm fairly sure this is the case with a large number of long term Gentoo users from my discussions over the years.

I personally prefer the focus on quality over speed of releases. That choice by the developers may not please everyone, but I think it pleases the majority.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gossoon wrote:
Can you convince me that Gentoo is going forward?

First, you need to define forward. Developers join, developers leave. The average 'life' of a gentoo developer is about five years.
While they are here, developers persue whatever interests them. Thus Gentoo 'grows' rather than moves in any particular direction.
Keep in mind that all the devs are volunteers, apart from one or two who are paid by their employers to work on the areas of Gentoo of direct interest to those employers.

You could hold that the council sets the direction for Gentoo but it doesn't seem to work that way. They are only involved in technical decisions that span projects within Gentoo - even then, only when the projects can't agree. As a result, 'forward' is the direction in which the active developers deceide to grow Gentoo.

I use the term 'developers' as a collective term for all contributors - not only those with a @.g.o email address.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: