Building pdftk without gcj?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Building pdftk without gcj? Reply with quote

Hi there,

regarding to the topics Remove old gcc versions and pdftk gcc6 gjar I stumbled into the same problem. I removed gcc-5.4.0, because everything built fine with gcc-6.4.0.

Now pdfk is the only package, which needs gcj and therefore gcc-5.4.0.

Is there a way to build pdfk somehow else, e.g. with javac of openjdk?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Building pdftk without gcj? Reply with quote

musv wrote:

Probably yes but you should change Makefile (here an old incomplete example)
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last version ist from 2013. I dropped it and replaced it with qpdf.

Unfortunately Impressive has pdftk as a mandatory dependency. But in the next time I don't have the need of any presentations. So I dropped this tool too.
dilfridge
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Building pdftk without gcj? Reply with quote

musv wrote:
Hi there,

regarding to the topics Remove old gcc versions and pdftk gcc6 gjar I stumbled into the same problem. I removed gcc-5.4.0, because everything built fine with gcc-6.4.0.

Now pdfk is the only package, which needs gcj and therefore gcc-5.4.0.

Nope. Many people have tried, unsuccessfully.
monsieurp
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please have a look at https://bugs.gentoo.org/562568 to find out what we intend to do with pdftk. There's really nothing we can do at the moment. As James writes in the bug report, upstream promised to deliver a gcj-free version 2 years ago and haven't delivered yet. Unless this happens or someone decides to rewrite pdftk in pure Java (i.e. using the JDK), we will most likely mask and punt this package from Portage at some point. :(
nmel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious if it possible to build pdftk statically. In this case we can compile once and then remove gcc-5.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musv wrote:
The last version ist from 2013. I dropped it and replaced it with qpdf.

Unfortunately Impressive has pdftk as a mandatory dependency. But in the next time I don't have the need of any presentations. So I dropped this tool too.

Well, if you look at the timestamp of qpdf tarball, it is Jan 14, 2014, barely out of 2013 either :) Actually oldest tarball on my installation is from 2001, so what ? As long as the code works, its age is irrelevant. In my work I run my some of my own codes from 1987.
kite14
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musv wrote:

Reading the manual of Impressive, looks like pdftk is just a recommended package, used to fetch PDF metadata; it becomes mandatory only if muPDF is not available (in my systems mupdf is pulled in as a dependency of nel-print/cups-filters with pdf USE flag enabled)

I've tried to install it, and portage doesn't complain about pdftk being masked:
Code:
~ $ emerge -pv impressive

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/sdl-mixer-1.2.12-r4::gentoo  USE="flac mad mp3 vorbis wav -fluidsynth -midi -mikmod -mod -modplug -playtools -smpeg -static-libs -timidity" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 3621 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/sdl-ttf-2.0.11-r1::gentoo  USE="X -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 3959 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-apps/xrandr-1.5.0::gentoo  179 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/smpeg-0.4.4-r10::gentoo  USE="X opengl -debug -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="(-mmx)" 312 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/pygame-1.9.2_pre20120101-r2::gentoo  USE="X -doc -examples {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 -python3_4" 2210 KiB
[ebuild  N    ~] app-office/impressive-0.11.2::gentoo  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 194 KiB

Total: 6 packages (6 new), Size of downloads: 10473 KiB

The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.accept_keywords" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by impressive (argument)
=app-office/impressive-0.11.2 ~amd64

So, as far as I can tell, no need to drop this tool :D
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into this and the currently last comment on the bugreport, is that it really seems dead.
Too bad, pdftk always was a central important tool for me. I used it to split and merge PDFs, this could be replaced by pdfseparate from poppler.

Additionally I created a script pdfshrink [1] that uses pdftk, qpdf and gs in multiple steps for compression as I noticed that the compression results are very different between those 3. Most efficient compression however was gs with -dPDFSETTINGS ebook. Take care, some but very rare pdfs get broken by that script. But mosty PDFs are compressed to 50% and better, lossy but good enough to read.

[1] https://bitbucket.org/massimo/tools/src/

I tried building pdftk, it pulled gcc-5.4.0-r4 which I unmasked but that failed with
Code:
error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct _Jv_catch_fpe(int, siginfo_t*, void*)::ucontext

Is there any way to get a gcc usable for pdftk compiled? Is there any chance to add at least some pdftk-bin?
proteusx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massimo

Has your gcc-5.4.0 set +gcj?

pdftk, for me too, is an absolutely necessary tool.
I care not if it is dead or alive as long as it works and it does what I want.

Here is what I did to migrate to profile 17
and keep pdftk.
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massimo B. wrote:
I tried building pdftk, it pulled gcc-5.4.0-r4 which I unmasked but that failed with
Code:
error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct _Jv_catch_fpe(int, siginfo_t*, void*)::ucontext

Is there any way to get a gcc usable for pdftk compiled? Is there any chance to add at least some pdftk-bin?
It looks like this is related to a change in linux-unwind.h, where struct ucontext was changed to ucontext_t so as to comply with POSIX naming conventions. It seems like the error is nonexistent with GCC 7.2; the fix was added in commit 14c2f22a1877f6b60a2f7c2f83ffb032759456a6 to GCC 7.1.

I'm having some other issues with the gcc-5.4.0-r4 ebuild (xattr on tmpfs?), but I may be able to get it working tomorrow. If you do get very stuck there are some people interested in keeping GCJ usable, even if you have to compile an old version of GCC. You may want to check their mailing list.
marcv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tired of waiting for upstream to publish a java version of pdftk and I did it myself. If somebody wants to play with it, you can find it at http://gitlab.com/marcvinyals/pdftk. There is even a live ebuild at http://repo.or.cz/marcv-overlay.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/app-text/pdftk/pdftk-9999.ebuild.

Last edited by marcv on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, marcv. I've taken the liberty of mentioning your re-write in the Gentoo bug report mentioned earlier in this thread.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcv wrote:
I got tired of waiting for upstream to publish a java version of pdftk and I did it myself. If somebody wants to play with it, you can find it at http://gitlab.com/marcvinyals/pdftk. There is even a live ebuild at http://repo.or.cz/marcv-overlay.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/app-text/pdftk/pdftk-9999.ebuild.

I've install "pdftk-9999" and it is working as it should, thanks.
gcc-5.4.0 is gone as well.
Melf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, the pdftk-9999.ebuild works for me as well. Thank you!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: