x server randomly crashing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berardel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: x server randomly crashing Reply with quote

sometimes whenever im compiling a package with portage in a terminal emulator in the x server, it will just cause my entire computer to freeze and i have to force restart it. since it freezes its not like i can check an output after it happens, i also dont know of any log files to check about it.
after it freezes im unable to change the keyboard lock light status or even switch to a tty
im pretty sure this is just an issue with the x server, because if i compile those packages in a tty it works just fine.
i remember one of the packages that consistently had this problem on the x server was app-crypt/gcr which i think was a dependency required by pcmanfm.
it also happens sometimes when im playing touhou games with wine, or after switching to different menus in etterna stepmania.
i have used gentoo in the past but never had this issue. but this is a new install that i just finished a few days ago.
so how can i fix this?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the hardest to diagnose and fix. Likely it has something to do with your hardware or the graphics driver having some fault. Which graphics card are you using and is there a newer driver to try?
berardel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
These are the hardest to diagnose and fix. Likely it has something to do with your hardware or the graphics driver having some fault. Which graphics card are you using and is there a newer driver to try?

my GPU is a radeon r7 250
i have both of these drivers:
x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu-18.1.0
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-18.1.0
which these are the latest stable drivers for my card
berardel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ive noticed a few more things about this actually
sometimes gimp will randomly cause it to happen, but it seems like it can be somewhat prevented by frequently saving the changes i make to an image.
i can also still move the mouse cursor around after it freezes, i just cant interact with any of the GUI.
no keyboard inputs work either.
and if im using a voice communication program with other people we will still be able to carry on conversations.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a second computer or something is helpful in this situation to see if you can at least log in remotely and check what's going on... it seems that the X server choked.

Running a different window manager might be a workaround. Does turning off compositing, if you have it enabled, help?
berardel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Having a second computer or something is helpful in this situation to see if you can at least log in remotely and check what's going on... it seems that the X server choked.

Running a different window manager might be a workaround. Does turning off compositing, if you have it enabled, help?

so do you mean like SSH into it? i read the gentoo wiki article, but im still not really sure how to do it properly.
i have also tried using an older version of i3wm and it seems to crash less, but i dont know for sure. also supposedly i3wm doesnt even support compositing.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you have another machine set up on your network and can connect into it, that would be helpful to see if there are any errors emitted before it gives up.

A lot of the times video cards get unstable when under load, and compositing is one thing that loads down the GPU. If your window manager doesn't support it, then of course we can't turn it off as a test...

All in all it's still quite possibly a hardware issue and looking at overheating is something that shouldn't be overlooked.
berardel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Yes, if you have another machine set up on your network and can connect into it, that would be helpful to see if there are any errors emitted before it gives up.

A lot of the times video cards get unstable when under load, and compositing is one thing that loads down the GPU. If your window manager doesn't support it, then of course we can't turn it off as a test...

All in all it's still quite possibly a hardware issue and looking at overheating is something that shouldn't be overlooked.

actually it probably is overheating.
i just tried doing this:
Code:
echo performance > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state

and it freezes much more frequently
when i had used arch in the past, i remember the x server crashing sometimes too, but it would just return me to the command line interface and it had the same error appear in multiple lines. i think the error that i got was
Code:
radeon: failed VCE resume (-110)
berardel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so actually ive basically just fixed the problem
i just played touhou for about an hour straight then stepmania for about 20 minutes, and my computer didnt freeze at all.
basically what i did is just
Code:
echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level
echo battery > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state

im thinking that perhaps the default setting was overclocking it for some reason since it happens with my CPU(by about 90 MHz). and therefore it would overheat it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: