Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What happened to libpng-1.2.2?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamon

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: What happened to libpng-1.2.2? Reply with quote

Hello! I have been using libpng-1.2.2 for a while now with much success. When the libpng update was lurking around the corner, I decided that I would be adventurous and unmask the 1.2.2 version before re-emerging world (well not literally, but practically). Why upgrade twice, right? Well, I read the recent package.mask and check out a change to the =libpng-1.2.2 line that I always mask out, and it says something about rsync --clean'ing one's portage. So I do, and it seems that libpng-1.2.2 is gone! Why? It is working fine! Now, whenever I want to emerge anything, it always whines and complaines about that missing. What can I do? Why are we not being allowed to upgrade? Aren't teeny versions (1.2.x) binary compatible anyways? Thanks for your help!!

Jamon
leifbrown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: libpng Reply with quote

If it worked for you, were one of the lucky few.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=761&sid=00f76e52d9408e9abd13e21dff22e9ec

Just now, I can't find the threads about it breaking Opera, and apparently Mozilla...

(No Opera, no Mozilla, no Konqueror... I guess we could all go back to Netscape 4.7x... )
doh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opera needs libpng.so.2.1.0.12, I believe. You can get it by:

Code:

cd /usr/lib
wget http://home.rochester.rr.com/zapem/libpng.so.2.1.0.12
ln -s libpng.so.2.1.0.12 libpng.so.2
ldconfig

(The symlink may be optinal)

That may help. ;)
Jamon

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Hmm.. Reply with quote

Well, I had no problems. I do not use Opera, so I cannot be sure, but my KDE works great and I occasionally use Galeon, which uses Mozilla, without problems. But I am running 0.99 with Galeon 1.2.0 I think, I have not updated to 1.0_rc1 yet. Not sure if it makes a difference, but still. I found the ebuild on a PC at work here, so I should be able to copy it back to my home PC so emerge will be quiet about it. Is there any plans to upgrade eventually? Are the teenyversions binary compatible?

Jamon
leifbrown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmm.. Reply with quote

Jamon wrote:
Well, I had no problems.

Out of curiousity, are you running off a stage 1, stage 2 or stage 3 installation?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: