problems with virtualbox 4.0 headless VRDE RDP [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eohrnberger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: problems with virtualbox 4.0 headless VRDE RDP [SOLVED] Reply with quote

[Moderator note: this post and the first several responses were originally attached to the solved 2011 topic problems with virtualbox 4.0 headless VRDE RDP [SOLVED]. -Hu]

Good news to report.

All the machines are all current and happy. emerge -UD --newuse @world executes on all of them cleanly without any updates pending.

Except for one thing. Grub. I like, and want to keep, sys-boot/grub-0.97. The only complaint from emerge is:
Code:

>>> package: sys-libs/ncurses-6.1_p20190609
 *  - /usr/lib32/libncurses.so.6
 *  - /usr/lib32/libncurses.so.6.1
 *      used by /sbin/grub (sys-boot/grub-0.97-r18)
 *  - /usr/lib32/libtinfo.so.6
 *  - /usr/lib32/libtinfo.so.6.1

Now, I know that the part of grub that uses the curses library is doing so before Gentoo boots up, so you'd think it would be a statically linked executable, and wouldn't need the shared curses libraries.

I guess the next step is to set up a private overlay that only contains this version of grub (and other versions of packages that might end up there).

Anyone have any good pointers to some documentation or guides that I can read up on this?

Thanks to everyone for all the help that I've received.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eohrnberger wrote:
Good news to report.
Are you in the right thread? This reads like a follow-up to a help request, but it is currently attached to a 9 year old thread that the original poster solved without assistance.
eohrnberger wrote:
Code:
Now, I know that the part of grub that uses the curses library is doing so before Gentoo boots up, so you'd think it would be a statically linked executable, and wouldn't need the shared curses libraries.
I think you are incorrect here. The bootloader portion of grub runs before root is mounted, so if it depended on dynamic linking, it couldn't start. I think /sbin/grub is a Linux program used as part of preparing/configuring the bootloader. I switched off grub (and not to grub2) long ago, so I don't have a local copy to check, and my search results are just finding people who had problems using grub.
eohrnberger wrote:
I guess the next step is to set up a private overlay that only contains this version of grub (and other versions of packages that might end up there).
That or switch to a different bootloader. I like syslinux.
eohrnberger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
eohrnberger wrote:
Good news to report.
Are you in the right thread? This reads like a follow-up to a help request, but it is currently attached to a 9 year old thread that the original poster solved without assistance.

Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but didn't I promise to follow up here?

Quote:
eohrnberger wrote:
Code:
I think you are incorrect here. The bootloader portion of grub runs before root is mounted, so if it depended on dynamic linking, it couldn't start.

Well, that was exactly what I was saying. Maybe it didn't come through clearly. <*shrug*>

On boot, the grub draws a nice screen image, I'm guessing it's using curses for that. The rest of grub, if I'm not mistaken, are all CLI programs, and have no need for curses.

Quote:
I think /sbin/grub is a Linux program used as part of preparing/configuring the bootloader. I switched off grub (and not to grub2) long ago, so I don't have a local copy to check, and my search results are just finding people who had problems using grub.
eohrnberger wrote:
That or switch to a different bootloader. I like syslinux.

Yeah, not sure which way I'm going to go. A really skinnied down grub.cfg for grub 2 isn't all that bad. I may end up going that way.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eohrnberger wrote:
You are not the original poster of the thread. That poster never indicated a follow-up would be forthcoming. Thus, I don't see any indication in this thread that you promised to follow up in this thread.
eohrnberger wrote:
Well, that was exactly what I was saying. Maybe it didn't come through clearly. <*shrug*>

On boot, the grub draws a nice screen image, I'm guessing it's using curses for that.
You can guess that, but I'm pretty sure your guess would be wrong. Curses needs a working kernel, and there isn't one that early. The pre-kernel grub uses its own, curses-independent mechanism for drawing.
eohrnberger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
eohrnberger wrote:
You are not the original poster of the thread. That poster never indicated a follow-up would be forthcoming. Thus, I don't see any indication in this thread that you promised to follow up in this thread.
eohrnberger wrote:

On boot, the grub draws a nice screen image, I'm guessing it's using curses for that.
You can guess that, but I'm pretty sure your guess would be wrong. Curses needs a working kernel, and there isn't one that early. The pre-kernel grub uses its own, curses-independent mechanism for drawing.

So then what's the dependency between grub and curses?

Oh well, I'll stop posting here then.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I think /sbin/grub is a Linux program used as part of preparing/configuring the bootloader.
I got curious and looked, and this seems correct. /sbin/grub appears to be an internal program called by GRUB Legacy's grub-install.
eohrnberger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
Hu wrote:
I think /sbin/grub is a Linux program used as part of preparing/configuring the bootloader.
I got curious and looked, and this seems correct. /sbin/grub appears to be an internal program called by GRUB Legacy's grub-install.

Yeah, that makes sense because the 'grub' command loads the grub shell, which clears the screen, has screen character highlights and such.

Cheers!
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have grubb-0.97-r14 , r15, and r16 in local overlay, but you should be able to find it in the portage attic.

I also have the patches:
Code:
 grub # ls -lh files
total 16K
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 1.1K Mar  7  2016 gfxpayload.patch
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  591 Aug  8  2015 grub.conf.gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 1.6K Dec 15  2015 grub-legacy-0.97-Add-esp-to-list-of-clobbered-registers.patch
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  799 Dec 18  2015 grub-legacy-0.97-ncurses-pkgconfig.patch
which might be small enough to pastebin.
The main distfile is rather too big to pastebin:
Code:
 grub # ls -lh /usr/portage/distfiles/grub-0.97.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 950K Jun 28  2018 /usr/portage/distfiles/grub-0.97.tar.gz

But you might find it on the web.
I still use it on motherboards that do not have EFI. On newer boards I use reFind from portage.

EDIT:
newest EAPI is 5, so I may have to update it soon. Right now I'm using unmodified Gentoo ebuilds.
eohrnberger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I think I have all the files, but this from someone who's still learning the ins and outs of the ebuild system.

Code:

total 37M
-rw-r--r-- 1 root erik  36M Jan 18 11:42 gentoo-fd205ea13d9f7998b8de9b5311d0dcb1c278f76d.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  52K Jan 18 11:44 grub-0.97-patches-1.15.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 950K Jan 18 11:44 grub-0.97.tar.gz
drwxrwxr-x 4 root root 4.0K Jan 18 11:47 sys-boot/

./sys-boot:
total 12K
drwxrwxr-x 3 root root 4.0K Jan 18 11:47 grub/
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 4.0K Oct 26  2017 grub-static/
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 1.4K Oct 26  2017 metadata.xml

./sys-boot/grub:
total 36K
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 2.3K Oct 26  2017 Manifest
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 4.0K Oct 26  2017 files/
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 9.5K Oct 26  2017 grub-0.97-r16.ebuild
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 9.3K Oct 26  2017 grub-0.97-r17.ebuild
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 1.5K Oct 26  2017 metadata.xml

./sys-boot/grub/files:
total 24K
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 1.1K Oct 26  2017 gfxpayload.patch
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 1.6K Oct 26  2017 grub-0.97-Add-esp-to-list-of-clobbered-registers.patch
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  799 Oct 26  2017 grub-0.97-ncurses-pkgconfig.patch
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 2.1K Oct 26  2017 grub-2.02_beta2-KERNEL_GLOBS.patch
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  591 Oct 26  2017 grub.conf.gentoo
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 2.5K Oct 26  2017 grub.default-3

./sys-boot/grub-static:
total 48K
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 2.3K Oct 26  2017 Manifest
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  403 Oct 26  2017 grub-static-0.96-r1.ebuild
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 5.3K Oct 26  2017 grub-static-0.97-r10.ebuild
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 5.3K Oct 26  2017 grub-static-0.97-r12.ebuild
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 4.3K Oct 26  2017 grub-static-0.97-r6.ebuild
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 5.2K Oct 26  2017 grub-static-0.97-r9.ebuild
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 1.9K Oct 26  2017 grub-static-0.97.ebuild
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  242 Oct 26  2017 metadata.xml

I think I have all the files needed for putting together grub-0.97 with the gentoo patches-1.15.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: