Clarification on Config-File Protection
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Clarification on Config-File Protection Reply with quote

I've read all the little documents, and I'm not clear on exactly how the config-file protection works.
I emerge a package (samba, for example) and it writes a default config file, which I edit to do what I want. So far, so good. Now, samba gets an update, and I rebuild it. With config protection turned on, emerge renames the file something properly cryptic and spits it out. (with a friendly hint as to how to find it, though)
Without the config-file protection, would it just re-write the default over my handcrafted file?
Or would it do nothing at all?

As a matter of practice, should I just not worry about the new (the ones emerge buillds) config files unless I know there's been a syntax change in the config file?

Thanks!

~Mac~
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Clarification on Config-File Protection Reply with quote

MacMasta wrote:
Without the config-file protection, would it just re-write the default over my handcrafted file?

Yes.

MacMasta wrote:
As a matter of practice, should I just not worry about the new (the ones emerge buillds) config files unless I know there's been a syntax change in the config file?

You should always diff the config files to see what is changed. Often, you can ignore the new version, but it's still worthwhile to at least look. Yyou can also use etc-update in the gentoolkit, but some folks have reported problems with that, so use with caution (and backups)

--kurt
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 1:25 am    Post subject: Converter, or config-backup script? Reply with quote

Well, two ideas, then:

Can we write file-format converters and include them in the ebuild scripts?
Perhaps something like
Code:
emerge foo --config-autoupdate

to bring the user's config file up to date with the most recent format?

And/Or

an emerge function that makes a backup of all the config files? It "knows" where they all are via the config-file protection already - perhaps every time it sees a file to not overwrite, it makes the cryptic-named file, and backs up the old one, as well. That way, we could pass it things to do like run the script mentioned above, but we'll have backups of the old setup if we need to downgrade.
(And it would be pretty easy, too - that's the point)

~Mac~
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Converter, or config-backup script? Reply with quote

MacMasta wrote:
Code:
emerge foo --config-autoupdate

Just knowing how varied config scripts across packages, I don't see this being feasible -- certainly not in the near future. How do you possibly account for all the different ways a user could create/modify their config script? (hint: you can't :)) Debian does something like this, but even then, they give you a choice -- let Debian manage it entirely or let you manage it entirely. No overlap.

MacMasta wrote:
an emerge function that makes a backup of all the config files? It "knows" where they all are via the config-file protection already

Well, Gentoo should "know" where all your config files are, because they all should be in /etc. (except user-specific configs). That said, it's fairly easy to write a script that will automatically back up your /etc directory. In fact, someone has already done this (make sure to read the whole thread -- there are some good modifications that are suggested later on.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: