[SOLVED] by using steam-overlay. Cannot launch CS:GO
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midnite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] by using steam-overlay. Cannot launch CS:GO Reply with quote

I am new to Linux gaming. Should I install Steamcmd or the steam-overlay? As the later is from external repositories, I prefer the former one. And Steamcmd seems more lightweight. But it did not work.

I was playing Counter-Strike Global Offensive on Windows with Steam. I have emerged games-server/steamcmd. /opt/steamcmd/steamcmd.sh itself seems working fine. I can login to my steam account. Then I do not know which one to download from the Steam Application IDs list, 740 or 730? 740 is having a dedicated server, so I tried 740 first but it failed to start. Then I downloaded 730 also and it fails to start too.

Starting 740 gives the following outputs. And it halts at the last line. No game is started. I have to exit it by Ctrl+c.
https://dpaste.com/38E7DNM6L
Code:
% /home/midnite/Steam/steamapps/common/Counter-Strike\ Global\ Offensive\ Beta\ -\ Dedicated\ Server/srcds_run
/home/midnite/Steam/steamapps/common/Counter-Strike Global Offensive Beta - Dedicated Server/srcds_run: line 33: cd: too many arguments
WARNING: No map specified! Defaulting to de_dust
Server will auto-restart if there is a crash.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/midnite/Steam/steamapps/common/Counter-Strike Global Offensive Beta - Dedicated Server/bin:/home/midnite/Steam/steamapps/common/Counter-Strike Global Offensive Beta - Dedicated Server:/home/midnite/Steam/steamapps/common/Counter-Strike Global Offensive Beta - Dedicated Server/bin:/usr/lib64/nvidia:
#
#Console initialized.
Initializing Steam libraries for secure Internet server
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Loaded local 'steamclient.so' OK.
CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 18 milliseconds to initialize
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 730
dlopen failed trying to load:
/home/midnite/.steam/sdk32/steamclient.so
with error:
/home/midnite/.steam/sdk32/steamclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Looking up breakpad interfaces from steamclient
Calling BreakpadMiniDumpSystemInit
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 740
*  No Steam account token was specified.           *
*  Logging into anonymous game server account.     *
*  Connections will be restricted to LAN only.     *
*  To create a game server account go to           *
*  http://steamcommunity.com/dev/managegameservers *
Initialized low level socket/threading support.
Set SteamNetworkingSockets P2P_STUN_ServerList to '' as per SteamNetworkingSocketsSerialized
SteamDatagramServer_Init succeeded
Connection to Steam servers successful.
   Public IP is 219.79.11.97.
Assigned anonymous gameserver Steam ID [A:1:2305224704:19837].
Gameserver logged on to Steam, assigned identity steamid:90157194118885376
Set SteamNetworkingSockets P2P_STUN_ServerList to '153.254.86.29:3478' as per SteamNetworkingSocketsSerialized
VAC secure mode is activated.
In another konsole, I have already logged into Steam in the /opt/steamcmd/steamcmd.sh. It is strange that it says No Steam account token was specified. Do I have to add some options when calling game shell script?

Then I tried to launch 730. It failed with the following error.
https://dpaste.com/29B76HML9
Code:
$ /home/midnite/Steam/steamapps/common/Counter-Strike\ Global\ Offensive/csgo.sh
SDL video target is 'x11'
SDL failed to create GL compatibility profile (whichProfile=0!
 failed to dlopen /home/midnite/Steam/steamapps/common/Counter-Strike Global Offensive/bin/engine_client.so error=/home/midnite/Steam/steamapps/common/Counter-Strike Global Offensive/bin/engine_client.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
AppFramework : Unable to load module engine_client.so!
Unable to load interface VCvarQuery001 from engine_client.so, requested from EXE.

How can I launch the game?

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by midnite on Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Irets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the .so files present that are giving you problems?
I'm not familar with SteamCMD, but by looking at the output, it seems that the program is not able to find all the required libraries.

Code:
/home/midnite/Steam/steamapps/common/Counter-Strike Global Offensive Beta - Dedicated Server/srcds_run: line 33: cd: too many arguments

This also looks odd.

It seems you can attempt logging in to your account by doing
Code:
login <name>

More on that can be found at the official documentation. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD?CachedSimilar8#SteamCMD_Login

Steam from steam-overlay might have more dependencies and be more heavy on the system but will look & function the same as it did for you on Windows.
They state on the SteamCMD wiki that it's main use should be to handle game servers. If you're new to Linux gaming, I think you'd have better time with steam-launcher from steam-overlay.
netfab
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Should I install Steamcmd or the steam-overlay?

You should not install steamcmd.
You should install games-util/steam-meta from steam-overlay.
Then you can login to steam and install CS:GO.
If you installed steam-meta with steamruntime useflag on, you're done, you can play.
If steamruntime useflag is off, then you must install required libraries using games-util/esteam from steam-overlay.
midnite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Irets for trying to help. Yup I did login <name> in one Konsole and tried to start the game in another Konsole. Like someone else on the Internet says that another Konsole would be smart enough to retrieve my login. But it turns out the game could not even start. Anyway I gave up on SteamCMD and installed steam-overlay. It is fine now. After some fixes about the drivers, CS:GO runs smoothly.

Thank you netfab for the advice. Yup I installed all of them. And CS:GO runs smoothly now.

For your information I was having the font problem that text was not displaying at the login dialogue box. There is a fix in the troubleshooting.

text was not displaying at the login dialogue box:
https://imgur.com/a/d9Dtcfd

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam/Client_troubleshooting#Missing_fonts
Code:
emerge --ask -v media-fonts/font-bitstream-100dpi media-fonts/corefonts

Hope this may help someone.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: