[Solved] forum account bugs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: [Solved] forum account bugs Reply with quote

I'm having two issues with in my forum account, I would like to know if you can help me:

1- I had two private messages that I couldn't remove. I later found out that I could remove them if there were other new messages. So I sent myself two small messages "a" and "b". I have them both in Inbox and Outbox now. And I would like to remove them, but I always find messages like:
"Could not update private message read status for user"
"Could not update user pm counters"
Could you remove these messages for me? The "a" and "b".

2- My "Total posts" number is less than the number of messages in:
https://forums.gentoo.org/search.php?search_author=ff11
I noticed that the "Total posts" freezes at around 500, and then without doing anything it counts again (but now it's inconsistent).
Can you make the 2 values consistent again?
| Proverbs 26:12 |
| There is more hope for a fool than for a wise man that are wise in his own eyes. |
* AlphaGo - The Movie - Full Documentary "I want to apologize for being so powerless" - Lee

Last edited by ff11 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: forum account bugs Reply with quote

ff11 wrote:

This is desire, posts in OTW forum aren't counted.
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: forum account bugs Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
ff11 wrote:

This is desire, posts in OTW forum aren't counted.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I understand what you mean here.

The freeze around number 500, happens regardless of what or where you are posting on the forum, and it stays like that for a long time, until it returns to normal. Are you saying this is a feature? Could you explain to me what is the logic of this?

Because I thought it was related to the errors that sometimes happen when I'm going to make some posts, and the forum sometimes gives me an error message (saying that I had already posted something, but not being true).

I don't know about you, but to me, it doesn't seem like the forum is full of features, but it's full of bugs.
| There is more hope for a fool than for a wise man that are wise in his own eyes. |
* AlphaGo - The Movie - Full Documentary "I want to apologize for being so powerless" - Lee
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posts under Off the Wall are not counted into the total post count.

I found 10 posts of yours that could not be read (related to the posting errors), which have now been cleaned off.

I don't quite understand yet what you mean by "freeze around number 500"? Do you mean you had 500, then it did not go up until some time had passed while you had been posting under forums that are not Off the Wall?

We did get another report about private message oddities recently, and this might be related to the same issue. We'll look into it.

Thanks!
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Posts under Off the Wall are not counted into the total post count.

I found 10 posts of yours that could not be read (related to the posting errors), which have now been cleaned off.

I don't quite understand yet what you mean by "freeze around number 500"? Do you mean you had 500, then it did not go up until some time had passed while you had been posting under forums that are not Off the Wall?

We did get another report about private message oddities recently, and this might be related to the same issue. We'll look into it.

Thanks!

Thank you. Those private messages that can't be deleted bother me a lot.

Regarding the second issue, as it's only a matter of number, I don't care much about the current value, and I'm not asking to change the value, but about their consistency and possible relations with other issues. Let me tell you how I got to this magic number:

When I was still with the number of posts below 400, I saw someone complaining that the number of posts had frozen (I think at number 499), so I thought it would be good for me to pay attention when this happened to me. So when it came to the number in question, I realized that it really had frozen. And I took the opportunity to be more active during this verification step. Helping a lot of people in the area that counts (I had already done tests before and was already prepared for when it froze, knowing which areas really counted). So I was very active for several days, and after a long time the number started to go up again. So I kept watching for some time, until today. That I think my tests in this regard are over.

So what I hope is that some accounts with a numbering close to 500 are selected and it's verified that they will freeze or not. And if this is related to other possible bugs at the time of posting (such as blocking saying that a post has been made before, but it was not). This could help find errors in the code, if it's easily reproducible.

The numbering itself isn't important, but I'm grateful for discoveries like this one of those 10 posts you talked about, and how they appear in the first place.
Thanks for the fix.

EDIT: I saw it here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-465137-highlight-posts+499.html
and verified it with my own account
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will test it in coming months
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etnull wrote:
I will test it in coming months

Thanks.

This may have already been fixed (as it takes time to check something like this), but it was a very interesting situation from the point of view of those who are used to debugging.

Before reading about the case of the user "g3n", I had seen it happen with another user who was answering questions with me (his count was the only one that didn't go up at that time), so after searching and finding the case of "g3n ", I had to make preparations to verify this. The curiosity was very great.
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed another user account to confirm whether the counting bug was still happening or not. The count didn't freeze this time. And after cleaning up my account, the numbers are consistent again, and I didn't find any more errors during the posts (thanks Chiitoo). So at least for me, this bug is fixed.

As for private messages that cannot be deleted, I'm still waiting for a solution. But this isn't an urgent issue.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was finally able to do something about this.

If you're still watching this space, can you interact with all of your private messages as is expected now?
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
I was finally able to do something about this.

If you're still watching this space, can you interact with all of your private messages as is expected now?

I was finally able to delete the junk messages.

Thanks for the work :)
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good!

For some reason the "unread private message" count was set to 0 while it should not have been, and the code still tries to subtract from it...

There have been cases [1] where the number is trying to go over 65535, which also doesn't end well.

1. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1147900.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: