Tracking new posts got bugged for me
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Tracking new posts got bugged for me Reply with quote

I tend to browse forums via https://forums.gentoo.org/search.php?search_id=newposts
A few days ago I accidentally clicked on "mark all forums read" and I think since that moment tracking unread posts wasn't working very well for me
When I search the forums, topics with posts never displayed for me are supposed to be marked with that yellow "page" icon at the beginning of its title, and this icon should go away after posts in that topic are displayed for me.
Right now pretty much all topics are marked as unread for me, including topics where I was the last one to post. They sometimes get marked as read after a refresh, but usually not. I haven't picked up on any pattern yet, except that it's different than it used to, and well, it'd be nice to have this feature back.

On top of that, I think phpbb should use slightly different text colors for topics previously (or recently? ) visited, regardless of new posts being added there afterwards, though this is a minor issue and I don't remember it ever working at FGO, so maybe this version simply does not implement it.
edit: lol, a few topics are now listed in a slightly lighter color. Still, the selection is quite small and appears to be random.

Are there any known issues with those?
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to describe what happened to me here.
The fix was to update the kernel.
The problem was happening with 6.4.3 and was fixed with 6.4.10.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, c'mon, that's just absurd. I'd expect this kind of state to be completely server-side* and should have absolutely nothing to do with my kernel or even browser.
While your case does indeed look similar, your conclusion must have been wrong.

I checked my emerge log, just in case, my last browser update was over a month ago and this issue started like last week.

* There is way too much information transmitted in cookies though, so maybe something actually got stuck there. I tried relogging to clean things up, but didn't help; maybe I just need to manually delete those instead. Who knows, maybe in your case it was a reboot that cleared some session errors, but sure as hell it wasn't kernel version bump.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall having read a similar report, but I can recall that "weird" rendering problems have at times been "fixed" by clearing the browser cache.

I agree that the kernel change seems unlikely to be a fix, but perhaps it also involved a reboot.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I don't recall having read a similar report, but I can recall that "weird" rendering problems have at times been "fixed" by clearing the browser cache.

I confirm that even when I have rendering problems with fgo I delete its cookies.
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Oh, c'mon, that's just absurd. I'd expect this kind of state to be completely server-side* and should have absolutely nothing to do with my kernel or even browser.
While your case does indeed look similar, your conclusion must have been wrong.

I checked my emerge log, just in case, my last browser update was over a month ago and this issue started like last week.

* There is way too much information transmitted in cookies though, so maybe something actually got stuck there. I tried relogging to clean things up, but didn't help; maybe I just need to manually delete those instead. Who knows, maybe in your case it was a reboot that cleared some session errors, but sure as hell it wasn't kernel version bump.

The issue spanned a couple weeks for me.
I only updated the kernel because I tried out nouveau drivers and said that I might as well also update the kernel.
I rebooted a few times during those weeks.
Whether or not the kernel was really the issue I don't know, but that's what fixed it for me.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I installed cookie manager for fine grained control, logged out, rebooted, cleared cookies (while logged out), and nothing happened... Until a few hours later when things suddenly just got back to normal without any further action on my end.

I don't know what the problem really was, but I inspected html generated and sure enough there were were additional links to unread posts next to topics I've already read but forum didn't notice. These links were also absent next to topics correctly marked as read. Basically, the document contained incorrect information.
If there are multiple backends, a failed/delayed synchronization could produce such results... Could also be a session assumed sticky not being sticky enough (reading topic from one node, listing it unread from another). I don't know how is infra set up though, so it's just a guess.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And... (drums please) it's back!
Topics I already visited, and sometimes even replied to, are still marked with "new posts" icon after refreshing. At fist I though maybe there is some funny caching proxy that got stuck, but no, my nickname is listed as the last poster, so I clearly received a new version of the page.
Huh....
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
And... (drums please) it's back!
Topics I already visited, and sometimes even replied to, are still marked with "new posts" icon after refreshing. At fist I though maybe there is some funny caching proxy that got stuck, but no, my nickname is listed as the last poster, so I clearly received a new version of the page.
Huh....

Was it under

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8177894.html#8177894

only or some other topics as well?

There was a very-likely-to-be-spam post removed from this one, and it appeared in my 'posts since last visit list' as well, though I believe it was marked as already visited...
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, the last post in that topic is 5 years old, so definitely not what you ask about, and that topic is not in my
I think the bug returned yesterday though. Right now the oldest bugged topic seems to be https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8806724.html#8806724
Older posts eventually got marked, so it kinda looks like there was a really long delay... Or maybe ending previous session got them flagged as red, since all topics in my search_id=newposts are flagged as unread
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wild guess, could it be some sort time problem on your machine? in your browser? or your gentoo forums profile? North America just past timezone changes a few days ago.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd say that me being served a wrong document (one with wrong content) is a server-side problem by definition. I mean, I see my browser doing a pretty good job translating that html to pixels on my screen, but the document contains stuff that shouldn't be there.
I haven't touched my forum profile in ages.
Wasn't daylight saving time switch flipped 2 weekends ago? That's quite a long delay; things breaking for this reason NOW is a bit too random.
I update browser last week an finally restarted it probably yesterday or 2 days ago, so it roughly matches the time, but even if this happens to be the trigger, it still is a server-side bug, since the server produces a document with wrong content.
Well, I'll try clearing cookies anyway, for sake of getting additional information. Once I'm done waiting for some topic to get marked as red, without expiring my current session.

Edit: lol, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8806806.html#8806806 instantly got tagged as red when I replied there. Unlike every other topic in my newposts list.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally getting somewhere.
It seems that visited topics are stored in cookie phpbb2mysql_t (which BTW is not flagged as secure, unlike the 2 other cookies set by FGO), since deleting it flags all topics since last session as unread.

It's no longer stuck now. Which is funny, since deleting cookies didn't help last time but apparently solved the immediate problem now.
I just wish I saved the headers from before I started messing with cookies. Now I can't check at which point exactly they got stuck anymore. Well, too bad. Maybe next time.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
I don't know, the last post in that topic is 5 years old, so definitely not what you ask about, and that topic is not in my
The thread Chiitoo mentioned had spam removed, that's why the oldest post is 5 years old. The removal of the new post doesn't reset the "newness" of that thread, so it still appears as new. That's a potential cause of what you experienced.

Another potential cause could be when phantom posts occur. That is, a user tries to submit a post, but it is rejected due to constraints of the post's subject (and maybe post body?). That too is a known problem, but sometimes results in posts that aren't reachable.

Of course, it may be neither of those issues.

Hmm... I'm also now thinking there may have been issues when some backend functionality got out of sync and showed inconsistent results. But I think that would be seen by more people.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite confident that this time it was about phpbb using cookies in a funny way. Deleting that one cookie flags all newposts as unread (without breaking the session), so their status clearly is not stored server-side.
I suppose it will eventually glitch out again, and then I'll have a better look at cookie and set-cookie headers and see which end messes things up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: