Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
removing pipewire from my system (solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: removing pipewire from my system (solved) Reply with quote

While trying to find out why Jamin doesn't want to start anymore I found that for some reason unknown to me Pipewire is running on my system. Now I do not really want this. I use Alsa and Jack and that suits all my needs fine. I have no idea how pipewire came onto the system in the first place.

Is there a way to find out which packages installed it and start it at startup?

Last edited by Spanik on Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run
Code:

emerge -cav pipewire

and see what pulled it.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
daw ~ # emerge -cav pipewire

Calculating dependencies... done!
  media-video/pipewire-0.3.77-r2 pulled in by:
    kde-plasma/kpipewire-5.27.7 requires >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:0/0.4=, >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:=
    kde-plasma/kwin-5.27.7-r2 requires >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:0/0.4=, >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:=
    kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.27.7-r1 requires >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:=, >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:0/0.4=
    media-libs/libsdl2-2.28.1 requires media-video/pipewire:=[abi_x86_64(-)], media-video/pipewire:0/0.4=[abi_x86_64(-)]
    media-sound/mpd-0.23.12-r2 requires media-video/pipewire:=, media-video/pipewire:0/0.4=
    media-video/wireplumber-0.4.14 requires >=media-video/pipewire-0.3.65-r1:=, >=media-video/pipewire-0.3.65-r1:0/0.4=
    sys-apps/xdg-desktop-portal-1.16.0-r1 requires >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:0/0.4=, >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:=

>>> No packages selected for removal by depclean

Looks like Plasma did a number on that. Silly that it starts that because just killing the processes has no effect on sound. going to see if I can change the use to -pipewire.
pietinger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
Looks like Plasma did a number on that. Silly that it starts that because just killing the processes has no effect on sound. going to see if I can change the use to -pipewire.

Yes, use-flag "pipewire" is now default in a plasma-profile (desktop-profile also ?)
Maybe it is sufficient to set this in package.use:
Code:
media-video/pipewire -sound-server
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:

Yes, use-flag "pipewire" is now default in a plasma-profile (desktop-profile also ?)

You probably wanted to say that 'pipewire USE sound-server' is now default in plasma desktop profile, that is correct. You do not want to operate 'USE screencast' because that is about screencast using video part of pipewire.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
Spanik wrote:

Maybe it is sufficient to set this in package.use:
Code:
media-video/pipewire -sound-server

Put in the flags, emerged the whole lot with -uvUD but still pipewire and wireplumber running. I think I'll need to learn how to write a startup script that just kills them each time. The dependencies have shrunk however:

Code:
daw ~ # emerge -cav pipewire

Calculating dependencies... done!
  media-video/pipewire-0.3.80 pulled in by:
    kde-plasma/kpipewire-5.27.8 requires >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:=, >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:0/0.4=
    kde-plasma/kwin-5.27.8-r3 requires >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:0/0.4=, >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:=
    kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.27.8-r1 requires >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:=, >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:0/0.4=
    media-video/wireplumber-0.4.14 requires >=media-video/pipewire-0.3.65-r1:0/0.4=, >=media-video/pipewire-0.3.65-r1:=
    sys-apps/xdg-desktop-portal-1.16.0-r1 requires >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:=, >=media-video/pipewire-0.3:0/0.4=

>>> No packages selected for removal by depclean

That xdg-desktop-portal seemt to come from flatpak. Going to start kicking that out. I remember I wanted to try something that was only available as a flatpak but I never got it working.
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:

Put in the flags, emerged the whole lot with -uvUD but still pipewire and wireplumber running. I think I'll need to learn how to write a startup script that just kills them each time. The dependencies have shrunk however:

Without 'USE sound-server' pipewire and wireplumber are only handling video. Check used devices with 'wpctl status', you should be fine already.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That gives:
Code:
daw ~ # wpctl status
Could not connect to PipeWire
daw ~ #

So that seems to be ok. Next step finishing that @world update. There is a new kernel I see.

Thanks guys!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: