intel-clc required on mesa?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: intel-clc required on mesa? Reply with quote

Could put this in a number of forums, but decided it goes here. :)

After today's emerge --sync, portage wanted to upgrade mesa (from 23.0.3-r1 to 23.1.3) with 14 NEW dependencies, including clang and llvm (UGH!). I really don't want any of that on this machine (on one of my other machines, llvm takes more than 15 hours to compile). It seems that the requirement comes from this section of the ebuild:

Code:

if use vulkan && use video_cards_intel; then
    PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$(get_llvm_prefix)/$(get_libdir)/pkgconfig"
    emesonargs+=($(meson_feature llvm intel_clc)
fi

I don't really care about ray tracing on my ancient Intel video card (E3-1200 v2). Does some reason exist why this became mandatory instead of optional as a USE flag? Can I simply remove this snippet (and the libclc requirement) and compile as before (the mesa/meson_options.txt file on github seems to suggest intel-clc as an option rather than a requirement), or do I have to disable vulkan completely and recompile the affected packages (libsdl2, libplacebo, qtgui, qtdeclarative, ffmpeg, and mpv), which I will most certainly do if the alternative means llvm on the system?
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curmudgeon wrote:
After today's emerge --sync, portage wanted to upgrade mesa (from 23.0.3-r1 to 23.1.3) with 14 NEW dependencies, including clang and llvm (UGH!). I really don't want any of that on this machine (on one of my other machines, llvm takes more than 15 hours to compile). It seems that the requirement comes from this section of the ebuild:

Code:

if use vulkan && use video_cards_intel; then
    PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$(get_llvm_prefix)/$(get_libdir)/pkgconfig"
    emesonargs+=($(meson_feature llvm intel_clc)
fi

Your analysis is incorrect by cannot be disabled. This is only active when vulkan USE (which is a recent profile change as a default) is enabled and VIDEO_CARDS includes intel.

The short answer, if you don't want this, disable vulkan in make.conf.
kuzetsa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: intel-clc required on mesa? Reply with quote

curmudgeon wrote:

[...]

I don't really care about ray tracing on my ancient Intel video card (E3-1200 v2). Does some reason exist why this became mandatory instead of optional as a USE flag? Can I simply remove this snippet (and the libclc requirement) and compile as before (the mesa/meson_options.txt file on github seems to suggest intel-clc as an option rather than a requirement), or do I have to disable vulkan completely and recompile the affected packages (libsdl2, libplacebo, qtgui, qtdeclarative, ffmpeg, and mpv), which I will most certainly do if the alternative means llvm on the system?

intel OpenCL support added to mesa

SPIRV is an llvm target which I'm using in production specifically because doing so means vendor-support from intel for OpenCL

~ if you don't need intel's APIs for machine learning inference or various other things which leverage intel's oneAPI, I suppose...

... losing vulkan at the same time as some other things which expect llvm might be a difficult set of outcomes in your future,
as more things expect to be able to use the llvm intermediate representation, including opensource graphics drivers.

in particular, nice ones with good upstream support from the hardware vendors

~ [refer to intel-clc description per above-linked article].

dev-util/intel_clc [requires]
sys-devel/clang-runtime [requires] ...

and so on, with llvm itself, and eventually you get to:

dev-util/spirv-llvm-translator

~ this is because the intermediate representation under the hood for llvm is used by several GPU vendors lately

(including AMD GPU support in mesa if I'm not mistaken)

my opinion is that there's no real sense trying to get low level vulkan acceleration support for free if you don't plan to use a binary distro, so if you're going the gentoo route and want to thin down some of the compilation targets, just be sure to adjust your settings carefully, because the SPIRV target isn't even enabled by default, which requires further debugging.

here's a thread with some info about adjusting which targets your LLVM is going to have, if you decide to keep a modern intel GPU driver with support in a modern version of mesa, but unless you really need to adjust the profile defaults and risk breakage and potentially recompile multiple times over for something as big as llvm and all its graphics-specific targets, I believe the remark you made about intel_clc being pulled in means it's already doing what it's meant to do, and should work as long as you wait patiently and let the dependencies build with the profile defaults.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1161113.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: