View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sokrovenno
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject: Failed to execute child process "xdg-open" Reply with quote

Hi folks

Today I encountered a little problem. When I click with the right mouse button on xfce4-terminal and select 'Open File Manager Here' it gives me this message:

Code:
"Failed to execute child process "xdg-open" (No such file or directory)"

What is weird is that IIRC I used this function yesterday and it was working fine. I did not changed any configuration, it simply stopped working. I've searching for a solution, but could not find any other than installing xdg-utils. But I don't remember excluding it in first place. So the function probably worked fine without it before. I usually avoid installing programs with many dependencies unless it is strictly necessary.

Code:
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/libatomic_ops-7.8.2::gentoo  ABI_X86="(32) (64) (-x32)" 513 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/boehm-gc-8.2.4::gentoo  USE="large threads -cxx -static-libs" ABI_X86="(32) (64) (-x32)" 1,183 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/perl-File-Path-2.180.0-r2::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-perl/IPC-System-Simple-1.300.0::gentoo  USE="-test" 32 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-perl/File-BaseDir-0.90.0::gentoo  USE="-test" 22 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-apps/xprop-1.2.6::gentoo  141 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-apps/xset-1.2.5::gentoo  136 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-perl/File-DesktopEntry-0.220.0-r1::gentoo  USE="-test" 18 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] www-client/w3m-0.5.3_p20230121::gentoo  USE="X nls ssl unicode -fbcon -gdk-pixbuf -gpm -imlib -lynxkeymap -nntp -xface" L10N="-ja" 2,269 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-perl/File-MimeInfo-0.330.0::gentoo  USE="-test" 35 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/w3m-1::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] app-text/xmlto-0.0.28-r11::gentoo  USE="text* -latex" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-misc/xdg-utils-1.1.3_p20210805-r1::gentoo  USE="-dbus -doc -gnome" 287 KiB

Is there other routes to solve this problem?

Is there a log for eclean-dist where I can see recently removed software? Maybe I've cleaned some package that was being used for by this function.

Last edited by sokrovenno on Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use xfce4-terminal nowadays but from a quick look "Open File Manager Here" calls action_open_folder which uses xdg-open unconditionally:
Code:
static gboolean
terminal_window_action_open_folder (TerminalWindow *window)
{
  GError *error = NULL;
  const gchar *directory = terminal_screen_get_working_directory (window->priv->active);

if (directory != NULL)
    {
      gchar *dir = g_shell_quote (directory);
      gchar *cmd = g_strdup_printf ("xdg-open %s", dir);

if (!g_spawn_command_line_async (cmd, &error))
        {
          xfce_dialog_show_error (GTK_WINDOW (window), error,
                                  _("Failed to open directory"));
          g_error_free (error);
        }
...so I don't think it ever worked without it unless I'm missing something.

Can use qlop -vu to show recently depcleaned packages (or your entire history if you don't rotate logs).

Edit: you could lessen the deps by removing w3m, xmlto[text] wants (at least one) of w3m(default), links, elinks, or lynx -- e.g. lynx won't pull boehm-gc + libatomic_ops, the rest is just insignificant perl modules and tiny x11 tools.
sokrovenno
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response Ionen.

Looks like I've recently removed xdg-utils:
2024-02-10T13:29:58 <<< x11-misc/xdg-utils-1.1.3_p20210805-r1

But it is really weird bc I'm almost certain that I used the 'Open File Manager Here' yesterday (or at least the day before) and it worked fine. And since it was removed 2024/02/10 it should not be working.

Is there a way to remove the option 'Open File Manager Here' from the 'right click mouse button menu'? It would be simpler just digit 'thunar' and it would open the file manager on the desired directory.

I know it is silly but I don't like the idea that I need to install 9 new programs to do a thing that I don't really need.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really look but I'd doubt you can without patching the source, technically you could even replace the xdg-open bit from the above snipplet to open with whatever you want directly using a /etc/portage/patches patch.

You may find yourself finding other applications that will fail on small things without xdg-open later though.

Also it's not 9 new programs, it's "mostly" a mix of virtual that install nothing and small text files (scripts). When it comes to perl/python and similar there tend to be an abundance of small dependencies that don't really weight in the balance and just "look" like it's a lot. w3m is a little bit more and also pulls boehm+libatomic_ops, albeit it has alternatives as I noted in my last post's edit.

Up to you either way :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: