Error at end of installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashoka232
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Error at end of installation Reply with quote

Good day gentoo users, I've made it to the end of the amd64 installation handbook, and for the most part, its level of accuracy is unparalleled from every single install guide, and I think that the gentoo install is actually quite fun, unfortunately it seems that I made errors with the installation. At the very end of the installation, right after GRUB was installed, I exited the chrooted environment, and attempted to run umount -l /mnt/gentoo/dev{/shm,/pts,} and got a nasty error: /bin/bash: Input/outpur error. On a command that was 100% sure to exist. I looked the original gentoo forums and couldn't find anything, just for extra measure I ran other commands within the handbook that were safe to run, such as reboot, su, or even trying to get back into the chrooted environment with no luck. So I'm wondering to myself if I partitioned the disks incorrectly, or made a goofy mistake within the kernel options, or something equally as silly. The computer it was installed on is a Darter Pro. Help would be appreciated, thanks!
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INPUT/OUTPUT error generally is telling you that there was disk disconnect error. Most are unrecoverable. But data doesn't have to be lost. Not sure however which device went into error mode. Could be the install media, or could be the disk that you installed on. But never the less, none should be too dramatic. My assumption is that you removed the usbstick/install media too soon. And in that case, it should have given this error. Do not disconnect the usb stick until the machine is done reseting.

However, you can continue the install process. ReBoot again the usb stick. mount everything. Check everything is properly installed. Install whatever you forgot. Setup passwords or accounts if you have to. And continue where you left off. Unless something catastrophic happened to your disk, all your work should still be there exactly as you left it. And you can continue exactly where you left off. Or repair whatever you forgot. Or got damaged. This method never changes. This is _always_ how you repair a linux system.

If you however reboot, and dont find the disk anymore, or the partitions, or the data is corrupted, then prolly there is more to the story.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: