[Fixed] Spotify Hangs on Empty Gray Window Hyprland
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renkin42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject: [Fixed] Spotify Hangs on Empty Gray Window Hyprland Reply with quote

I'm trying to install the official spotify client (media-sound/spotify) and while it successfully emerges, trying to run it on Hyprland just opens an empty gray window. Even when this window closes a /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify process keeps running, spiking one of my cpu cores to 100%. It can't be stopped with SIGTERM either, it requires a SIGKILL (which I'm doing from htop). Running from the terminal, I get the following output:
Code:

Neither gnome-integration-spotify nor spotify-tray are installed.
Launching spotify without systray integration.
/opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify: /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify)
/opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify: /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify)

(spotify:20277): libayatana-appindicator-WARNING **: 22:10:58.737: Unable to get the session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

(spotify:20277): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 22:10:58.737: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”
/proc/self/exe: /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /proc/self/exe)

I see mentions of curl, leading me to think this may be related to https://bugs.gentoo.org/651770 , but some of the comments there mention experiencing that error even when spotify is working, and to my knowledge my system shouldn't be using the gold linker at all, so that could just be a red herring. The other thing I see of note here are the dbus warnings. My impression was that this is only needed for notifications and MPRIS control. In my case I'm not sure where to run a dbus session from. I'm using greetd with gtkgreet to log into hyprland. I tried adding it /etc/greetd/environment, but it just looped me back to the login screen, though I admit I may have made a typo there. I disabled the libnotify flag on spotify, but no change.
I tried uninstalling the ebuild and installing by flatpak instead, but that gives identical behavior. Not sure where to go from here.

EDIT: Well, shortly after posting this I found the mistake, it was indeed dbus. To any who find this in the future, just launch Hyprland with dbus-run-session. in my case I just had to change /etc/greetd/environment to
Code:
hyprland
bash

with hyprland now being a bash script in /usr/local/bin/ :
Code:
#! /bin/bash
dbus-run-session /usr/bin/Hyprland

the bash script isn't strictly necessary but it keeps the login screen prettier.
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a little patch for Hyprland - for OpenRC users:
Code:
diff --git a/example/hyprland.desktop b/example/hyprland.desktop
index 57ad076f..2a8a77db 100644
--- a/example/hyprland.desktop
+++ b/example/hyprland.desktop
@@ -1,5 +1,5 @@
 [Desktop Entry]
 Name=Hyprland
 Comment=An intelligent dynamic tiling Wayland compositor
-Exec=Hyprland
+Exec=dbus-run-session Hyprland
 Type=Application
\ No newline at end of file

which adds the dbus-run-session entry to /usr/share/wayland-sessions/hyprland.desktop

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/patches
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Creating_a_patch

8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: