[SOLVED] Errors in syslog for RTKit and Pipewire
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Errors in syslog for RTKit and Pipewire Reply with quote

I have several warnings (and above) in my syslog regarding RTKit and Pipewire
Code:
Apr 06 17:09:27 matthias-pc xdg-desktop-por[1054]: Failed to load RealtimeKit property: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1 was not provided by any .service files
Apr 06 17:09:27 matthias-pc xdg-desktop-por[1054]: Failed to load RealtimeKit property: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1 was not provided by any .service files
Apr 06 17:09:27 matthias-pc pipewire[1307]: mod.rt: RTKit error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
Apr 06 17:09:27 matthias-pc pipewire[1307]: mod.rt: RTKit does not give us MaxRealtimePriority, using 1
Apr 06 17:09:27 matthias-pc pipewire[1307]: mod.rt: RTKit error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
Apr 06 17:09:27 matthias-pc pipewire[1307]: mod.rt: RTKit does not give us MinNiceLevel, using 0
Apr 06 17:09:27 matthias-pc pipewire[1307]: mod.rt: RTKit does not give us RTTimeUSecMax, using -1
Apr 06 17:12:25 matthias-pc pipewire[1307]: mod.x11-bell: X11 I/O error handler called on display :0
Apr 06 17:12:25 matthias-pc pipewire[1307]: mod.x11-bell: X11 display (:0) has encountered a fatal I/O error
I am not sure whether all these messages are related to the same cause, but I would like to get them fixed all. I suspect, the majority is due to a missing package. The last two lines might be something different.

Last edited by nagmat84 on Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Code:

With that You know 2 things. 1) It look like to be the same missing software. 2) It is big chances that its name contain RealtimeKit or rtkit.

With that, You can search portage with emerge and something like
Code:
# emerge -s rtkit
*  sys-auth/rtkit
      Latest version available: 0.13-r2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 128 KiB
      Homepage:      https://github.com/heftig/rtkit
      Description:   Realtime Policy and Watchdog Daemon
      License:       GPL-3 BSD

That command return other rtkit* softwares, but I would try this one first:

Code:
# emerge -vp sys-auth/rtkit
 * Last emerge --sync was 61d 15h 24m 21s ago.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 4.58 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[ebuild  N     ] acct-group/rtkit-0-r2::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-lang/duktape-2.7.0-r3:0/2.7.0::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] acct-group/polkitd-0-r2::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] acct-user/rtkit-0-r2::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] acct-user/polkitd-0-r2::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-auth/elogind-252.9::gentoo  USE="acl cgroup-hybrid pam -audit -debug -doc -policykit (-selinux) -test" 1,878 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-auth/polkit-124-r1::gentoo  USE="daemon duktape examples gtk introspection pam -kde (-selinux) -systemd -test" 699 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/polkit-gnome-0.105-r2::gentoo  304 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-auth/rtkit-0.13-r2::gentoo  USE="(-selinux) -systemd" 128 KiB

Total: 9 packages (9 new), Size of downloads: 3,008 KiB

For the graphic issue, maybe mod.x11-bell is a kernel related issue (missing bell, the low cost speaker on the motherboard. Or maybe it is related to X11 or to some driver. You should try to search on this forum and on internet with google 'pipewire mod.x11-bell: X11 I/O error handler called on display'.
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing the package sys-auth/rtkit and enabling the daemon via systemctl enable rtkit-daemon.service solved the issue.

However, I would call this a bug in media-video/pipewire. Either a runtime dependency, like sys-auth/rtkit, is truly optional. But then absence of that package should not result in a warning. Or a runtime dependency is not really optional and lack of that dependency deserves a warning. But then it should actually part of the ebuild's dependencies.
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i'm aware, it is indeed 'optional' in the sense that PipeWire can be used without it. The issue arises as a result of a combination of using the default system-level PipeWire configuration file (/etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf) as-is, which contains:

Code:
# Uses realtime scheduling to boost the audio thread priorities. This uses
# RTKit if the user doesn't have permission to use regular realtime
# scheduling.
{ name = libpipewire-module-rt
    args = {
        nice.level    = -11
        rt.prio      = 88
        #rt.time.soft = -1
        #rt.time.hard = -1
    }
    flags = [ ifexists nofail ]
}

together with a user not configured to have permissions to use realtime scheduling. This is described on the 'PipeWire' page on the wiki:

Quote:
PipeWire's default configuration tries to use realtime scheduling to increase audio thread priorities. It's recommended that users are in the pipewire group. If the user doesn't have the necessary permissions for this, the configuration will try to use RTKit instead, so the package may need to be installed. This behavior is defined under the context.modules portion of PipeWire's configuration.

Off the top of my head, i wonder if the ebuild should have a `realtime` local USE flag, disabled by default, which patches `pipewire.conf` to comment out the above section so that only users explicitly needing realtime support will have to deal with needing to ensure permissions are set up correctly / that `sys-auth/rtkit` is installed. On the other hand, it might be that, practically speaking, it might be that realtime support is actually needed for PipeWire to 'just work' in the most common case, so i'm not sure what would change in that case.

i suggest opening a bug on bugs.gentoo.org about this - if nothing else, it might result in clarification of the situation such that the wiki page can be updated accordingly.
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just opened #929264 on b.g.o.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: