View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject: Desktop effects were restarted due to a graphics reset Reply with quote

Hi

In recent weeks I have been experiencing the KDE desktop freezing, and then coming back to life, KDE pops up a message "Desktop effects were restarted due to a graphics reset ".

In prior months, screen would occasionally go black for a few seconds and then resume.

Is this hardware or software?

Card is GeForce GTX 1650

Thanks, Ian
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a graphics card but this is Gentoo so the same software can vary from user to user.
I can only recommend checking your graphics card drivers. If you are using nouveau try using the official Nvidia drivers. Check System Settings>Workspace Behavior>Desktop Effects. Disable all effects to see if that makes any difference (may require KDE restart). If things improve, try only enabling the minimum set of effects that you want and check to see if you continue to have issues.
You can also check your compositor settings under System Settings>Display and Monitor>Compositor. Try adjusting the settings to something less demanding i.e. "prefer lowest latency" or "prefer lower latency" (may require a KDE restart.) Observe to see if there are any improvements.
There used to be a setting to disable compositing there but it is no longer available. The easiest way to do this was from the terminal (Konsole.)
To disable compositing:
Code:
qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor suspend

To re-enable compositing:
Code:
qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor resume

I used that graphics card previously, GTX 1650 ti if I remember correctly. After many years of use and gaming, I started having the same issues in KDE Plasma 5. After getting a new card, the symptoms went away and the message no longer appeared. If after adjusting all settings, using Nvidia drivers, and disabling composting the situation does not improve you may need a new graphics card. As far as software issues, it would be hard to say without knowing more about your system.
(If all else fails, you can try using a lower desktop resolution to allow graphics card to work less intensively to see if that has any effect.)
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rab0171610

Thanks. Am using Nvidia drivers.

Will be annoyed if it is the card since is my "new" box, bought in May 2021 but only used full time a few months later.

Will have a look at the settings. I don't have many (if at all) flash-bang effects running.

Thanks, Ian
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: