Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]Which PAM file should invoke pam_u2f for FIDO2 auth?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]Which PAM file should invoke pam_u2f for FIDO2 auth? Reply with quote

I want to enable FIDO2 authentication with a Yubikey for my PC. I found the following two guides:
  1. Gentoo Wiki: PAM/U2F, Sec. 2.3 "Configuring PAM"
  2. Gentoo Wiki: YubiKey/PAM, Sec. 3.3. "PAM U2F"
Both guides add pam_u2f to different PAM services:
  • Guide #1 adds pam_u2f to system-local-login
  • Guide #2 adds u2f to system-auth
  • After some thought (explanation below), I consider system-login to be a third option
My PCs run Plasma/KDE 5 as the desktop environment with SDDM as the display manager and graphical login. I want to use the Yubikey when I login locally, either via SDDM or CLI. When I login remotely (via SSH), FIDO2 authentication is not strictly necessary as I am fine with public/private key authentication over SSH. However, using FIDO2 authentication for SSH would be a plus for those cases when I try to login from an (foreign) SSH client without my public/private key.

Question 1: What is the "best" PAM service to add pam_u2f to? To clarify the issue for myself, I drew the following dependency diagram:
Code:
sshd        -->     system-remote-login  --+
                                           |
kde         --+                            |
login       --+-->  system-local-login   --+-->  system-login  -------+
rununser-l  --+                            |                          |
                                           |                          |
sddm        -------------------------------+                          |
                                                                      |
                    su-l  -------------------->  su     --------------+-->  system-auth
                                                                      |
                                                 chfn   --------------+
                                                 ...                  |
                                                 <everything else>  --+
                                                 ...                  |
                                                 vlock              --+
  • Following option 2, i.e. adding pam_u2f to system-auth, essentially enables FIDO2 authentication for everything. I wonder if this isn't to much. In particular, if pam_u2f was made "required", I wonder if some service would break or become inaccessible (e.g. cvs, saslauthd, cups, etc. caught my attention).
  • Intuitively, I would follow option 1, i.e. adding pam_u2f to system-local-login, because this seems to make sense.
  • However, I figured out that sddm does not include system-local-login, but system-login. (Honestly I don't know why.) Hence, I conjecture that SDDM would not use FIDO2 authentication, if I added pam_u2f to system-local-login. That is why I came up with the third option to add pam_u2f to system-login. However, sshd also pulls in system-login (via system-remote-login) and I don't know how this would affect sshd.

Question 2: How do I keep password authentication (via pam_unix.so from system-auth) enabled as a fall-back mechanism and make pam_u2f only sufficient without giving up evaluation of the other PAM modules from system-auth?

As a safety measure (until my backup Yubikey arrives), I want to keep password authentication as a fall-back mechanism. However, if I do not set pam_u2f as "required" but as "sufficient" only, then the subsequent PAM modules are not evaluated if pam_u2f succeeds. At the moment, I am considering to add pam_u2f to system-login, but it seems that neither control keyword suits my needs. This is how my solution would like like:
Code:
# system-local-login
auth            include         system-login
Code:
# system-remote-login
auth            include         system-login
Code:
# system-login
auth            required        pam_shells.so
auth            required        pam_nologin.so
auth            <????>          pam_u2f.so nouserok cue      <--- newly added line
auth            include         system-auth
Code:
#system-auth
auth            required        pam_env.so
auth            requisite       pam_faillock.so preauth
auth            [success=1 new_authtok_reqd=1 ignore=ignore default=bad]      pam_unix.so nullok  try_first_pass
auth            [default=die]   pam_faillock.so authfail
auth            optional        pam_cap.so
  • If I chose control "required" for pam_u2f, then U2F must succeed. This seems to be to strict for my goal.
  • If I chose control "sufficient" for pam_u2f and if FIDO2 authentication succeeds, then system-auth is not evaluated anymore. But I still want pam_faillock and pam_env from system-auth to run.

Last edited by nagmat84 on Sat May 18, 2024 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After giving it some thought I decided for a solution that only modifies /etc/pam.d/system-auth like this
Code:
auth        required                                                    pam_env.so
auth        requisite                                                   pam_faillock.so   preauth
auth        [success=2 new_authtok_reqd=2 default=ignore]               pam_u2f.so        cue                                   <--- newly added line
auth        [success=1 new_authtok_reqd=1 ignore=ignore default=bad]    pam_unix.so       nullok try_first_pass
auth        [default=die]                                               pam_faillock.so   authfail
auth        optional                                                    pam_cap.so

Rationale: I wanted something between control sufficient and required. In terms of the extended control syntax, the control keyword sufficient is equivalent to
Code:
[success=done new_authtok_reqd=done default=ignore]
and required is equivalent to
Code:
[success=ok new_authtok_reqd=ok ignore=ignore default=bad]

The newly added line behaves as follows:
  • If pam_u2f succeeds, PAM skips the next 2 lines, therewith by-passes the traditional password-based login, but still executes pam_cap. Using "success=done" here as it would have been the case for a sufficient module would be too excessive, because it would return prematurely and also skip pam_cap.
  • If pam_u2f fails, then the result is ignored and pam_unix is executed next for traditional password-based login. That is the same behavior as for any sufficient module. Using "default=bad" as it would have been the case for a required module would be too excessive, because it would not allow to fall back to password-based login.
There are still some usability problems with SDDM and the KDE screen locker, but that's a different topic.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: