View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 1:52 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]Cursor size on first boot(sddm) Reply with quote

Hello all:
I am using KDE Plasma:5 as my DE, and I have a 27 inch 3840px*2160px screen
Every time I boot up the PC or reboot (or re-login) it, the cursor size on SDDM is very tiny
I already set cursor size to bigger one in systemsettings, but did not work
Weird thing is, lock screen is normal (Lock screen is not belong to SSDM?)
I also enabled hidpi for SDDM as ArchWiki said....
Is there anyone has same issue here?
How should I solve this?

Edit: Almost forgot, I use X11

Last edited by nurali on Tue May 21, 2024 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a solution to your problem, but the thing to realize is the SDDM session is entirely separate to your KDE user session - indeed it runs as a different user (sddm).

To elaborate: sddm is a displaymanager, which is a long-running process to stick a pretty login screen on unused ttys. Login is you interacting with that process, which does some fancy shuffling and starts a new, separate session for your chosen userid.

Net, the cursor size in sddm is a function of it's session config, and totally independent of the KDE user session. It's controlled by the sddm configuration files. I forget the details; it used to be solely in /usr/share/sddm/foo; IIRC there can now be overrides in /etc.
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Not a solution to your problem, but the thing to realize is the SDDM session is entirely separate to your KDE user session - indeed it runs as a different user (sddm).

To elaborate: sddm is a displaymanager, which is a long-running process to stick a pretty login screen on unused ttys. Login is you interacting with that process, which does some fancy shuffling and starts a new, separate session for your chosen userid.

Net, the cursor size in sddm is a function of it's session config, and totally independent of the KDE user session. It's controlled by the sddm configuration files. I forget the details; it used to be solely in /usr/share/sddm/foo; IIRC there can now be overrides in /etc.

Thank you for your patient explanation, I understand now. I'll see if anyone else knows the specific location of this configuration file and its contents. Meanwhile, I'll also search for the relevant files under /etc myself.
I have these in /etc/ssd.conf.d
Code:

ali@gentoo ~/Downloads/pmos $ cat /etc/sddm.conf.d/dpi.conf
[X11]
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 192
ali@gentoo ~/Downloads/pmos $ cat /etc/sddm.conf.d/hidpi.conf
[Wayland]
EnableHiDPI=true

[X11]
EnableHiDPI=true

Copied from Arch wiki.
This could potentially indicate the correct location for the configuration, but since there's no mention of cursor size adjustments, it might be best to await guidance from someone knowledgeable on this particular matter.
nurali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:

Yes,It was the /etc/sddm.conf.d/anyname.conf (or just /etc/sddm.conf)
sddm.conf man page:
Code:

[Theme] section:

ThemeDir=
              Path   of   the   directory   containing   theme   files.    Default   value   is
              "/usr/share/sddm/themes".

Current=
              Name of the current theme.  By default this setting is empty, meaning the  embed‐
              ded theme will be used.

FacesDir=
              Path  of  the  directory  containing  face  files,  face files should be in user‐
              name.face.icon format.  Default value is "/usr/share/sddm/faces".

CursorTheme=
              Name of the cursor theme to be set before starting the display server.

CursorSize=
              Cursor size to be set before starting the display server.

I did this:
Code:

ali@gentoo ~ $ cat /etc/sddm.conf.d/cursor.conf
[Theme]
CursorTheme=Bibata-Modern-Classic
CursorSize=32

Now cursor is in the normal size as it is on Plasma desktop
Thank you for reminding.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: