USB ethernet interface misbehaving since 6.6.30
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:57 pm    Post subject: USB ethernet interface misbehaving since 6.6.30 Reply with quote

I use a USB ethernet interface which worked fine up until about kernel 6.6.30. Since then, after rebooting it sometimes comes up fine and sometimes does not. If it isn't going to work, the LED on the switch it is connected to illuminates for about 10 seconds during boot and then goes out. Everything appears normal in dmesg and ifconfig even after it stops working. If I unplug/replug the USB interface then the switch LED illuminates for 10 seconds and then goes out again and it does not work. However if I restart the network interface from the command line during those 10 seconds then the LED does not go out and the interface works. I've tried replacing the USB ethernet interface with a new one but the behavior is the same.

I suspected USB autosuspend so I added usbcore.autosuspend=-1 to the kernel command line but the behavior is the same. Any idea what could be causing this? Any other power management stuff I should try disabling from the kernel command line?

I could try changing the kernel config but these days I'm using gentoo-kernel which configures itself. Is it possible to change the kernel config with gentoo-kernel?
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a different brand of USB adapter and things seem to be working consistently.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The working one is USB 2.0 and the one that stopped working is USB 3.0 so could be a 3.0 regression.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not it. I have another brand of USB 3.0 adapter that works fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: