Dracut needs fts development files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drainer333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 3:35 am    Post subject: Dracut needs fts development files Reply with quote

I've got to the section in the guide where I am trying to install the kernel and I know I've done everything right so far however this dracut thing will not work. I've done exactly what it says. I've put "sys-kernel/installkernel dracut" in /etc/portage/package.use/installkernel and added sys-kernel/installkernel and dracut to my USE flags but nothing works. When I try to look up the errors I'm either getting irrelevant results or no results at all so it seems I'm the only one who's encountered this error.

Any tips on where to start looking for what I'm doing wrong? I've restarted this installation several times now and it's always this step that goes wrong. I'm pulling my hair out over it cause I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

thanks in advance
drainer333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dracut needs fts development files Reply with quote

to be more specific the exact error I get is

dracut needs fts development files

and

Failed to run command: ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --bashcompletiondir=/usr/share/bash-completion/completions --systemdsystemunitdir=/lib/systemd/system
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want further help, please post the entire build.log (to a paste site if it won't fit in a post) and, if relevant, the config.log.
Both locations are mentioned in the output.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dracut needs fts development files Reply with quote

drainer333 wrote:
Any tips on where to start looking for what I'm doing wrong? I've restarted this installation several times now and it's always this step that goes wrong. I'm pulling my hair out over it cause I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong
Restarting is never necessary, and only gives you an opportunity to get wrong what you once did right. To expand on grknight's advice, and to recap Guidelines (particularly #4), please follow the full instructions that Portage prints when a package fails.

If I had to guess, I would speculate that you have some compiler flag (probably in CFLAGS or LDFLAGS) set incorrectly, causing configure tests to fail in weird ways, and that the particular failing test for you causes this error message about fts. The instructions Portage prints will lead you to show us the information that would confirm or refute this speculation.
drainer333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dracut needs fts development files Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
drainer333 wrote:
Restarting is never necessary, and only gives you an opportunity to get wrong what you once did right. To expand on grknight's advice, and to recap Guidelines (particularly #4), please follow the full instructions that Portage prints when a package fails.

If I had to guess, I would speculate that you have some compiler flag (probably in CFLAGS or LDFLAGS) set incorrectly, causing configure tests to fail in weird ways, and that the particular failing test for you causes this error message about fts. The instructions Portage prints will lead you to show us the information that would confirm or refute this speculation.

Hi, sorry I didn't put any info, I really shouldn't be installing gentoo to begin with haha. I eventually got it working although I can't remember how. That install failed anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Sorry again, I probably won't be back. I've never got gentoo working and probably never will. It was fun to try though. Thank you for the help, sorry again
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: