Current eclipse installation manual not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlowMotion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Current eclipse installation manual not working Reply with quote

The installation manual (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Eclipse) is not working.

(At least for me) it breaks on
Code:
emerge --ask dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin
with

Code:
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.6.2-r1::eclipse (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)
- dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.6.1a-r1::eclipse (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)
- dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2::eclipse (masked by: corruption)
- dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1::eclipse (masked by: corruption)
- dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4::eclipse (masked by: corruption)

Should I just download eclipse and unpack it, or is there another installation manual or is it related to my system ?

----

If this forum is not correct, please just move to correct forum :D
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the Wiki instructions and the shown Portage output, this appears to be an overlay package, so moved to Unsupported Software. Do not worry. You may still get help here. However, packages not in ::gentoo are generally handled here, not in Portage & Programming or Installing Gentoo.

As to your problem, this looks like a standard case of using a testing-only package on a stable system. You need to allow the testing keyword if you want Portage to proceed.

That "masked by: corruption" is weird and should not happen. How exactly did you set up the ::eclipse overlay?
SlowMotion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed
Quote:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Eselect/Repository

Then I followed
Quote:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Eclipse

Code:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies | * ERROR: dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2::eclipse failed (depend phase):
 *   eutils: EAPI 5 not supported
 * Call stack:
 *                         ebuild.sh, line 632:  Called source '/var/db/repos/eclipse/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2.ebuild'
 *   eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2.ebuild, line   6:  Called inherit 'eutils' 'versionator' 'java-utils-2'
 *                         ebuild.sh, line 312:  Called __qa_source '/var/db/repos/gentoo/eclass/eutils.eclass'
 *                         ebuild.sh, line 123:  Called source '/var/db/repos/gentoo/eclass/eutils.eclass'
 *                     eutils.eclass, line  19:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *      *) die "${ECLASS}: EAPI ${EAPI:-0} not supported" ;;
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2::eclipse'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2::eclipse'`.
 * Working directory: '/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2/work/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2'
 | * ERROR: dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1::eclipse failed (depend phase):
 * Call stack:
 *                      ebuild.sh, line 632:  Called source '/var/db/repos/eclipse/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1.ebuild'
 *   eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1.ebuild, line   6:  Called inherit 'eutils' 'versionator' 'java-utils-2'
 *                      ebuild.sh, line 312:  Called __qa_source '/var/db/repos/gentoo/eclass/eutils.eclass'
 *                      ebuild.sh, line 123:  Called source '/var/db/repos/gentoo/eclass/eutils.eclass'
 *                  eutils.eclass, line  19:  Called die
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1::eclipse'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1::eclipse'`.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1/work/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1'
 / * ERROR: dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4::eclipse failed (depend phase):
 * Call stack:
 *                         ebuild.sh, line 632:  Called source '/var/db/repos/eclipse/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4.ebuild'
 *   eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4.ebuild, line   6:  Called inherit 'eutils' 'versionator' 'java-utils-2'
 *                         ebuild.sh, line 312:  Called __qa_source '/var/db/repos/gentoo/eclass/eutils.eclass'
 *                         ebuild.sh, line 123:  Called source '/var/db/repos/gentoo/eclass/eutils.eclass'
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4::eclipse'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4::eclipse'`.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4/work/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0'
... done!
Dependency resolution took 0.69 s (backtrack: 0/20).

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.6.2-r1::eclipse (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)
- dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.6.1a-r1::eclipse (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)
- dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2::eclipse (masked by: corruption)
- dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1::eclipse (masked by: corruption)
- dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4::eclipse (masked by: corruption)

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

But I am not sure if I need to activate something (like EAPI) :/

emerge --info '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2::eclipse'
https://pastebin.com/GQNQ96QN

So you think I need to support "testing" to get a stable version of eclipse into my gentoo ?
Where should I add that (as it is an overlay and not mentioned anywhere as USE-Flag :? ) ?
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAPI 5 is long gone. The ebuilds using that EAPI should be updated or removed.

I said enable the testing keyword (for your architecture). By definition of the name, ebuilds in testing are not in stable, and there appear to be no eclipse ebuilds that are marked as stable. Since you want to accept the testing keyword for this package, you would use /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords to allow this ebuild (and possibly dependent ebuilds, if Portage prints further diagnostics).
SlowMotion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I understand correct :

Created file in
Quote:
/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
with name
Quote:
eclipse-sdk-bin
containing
Quote:
dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin ~amd64

That changed the output to
Code:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies | * ERROR: dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2::eclipse failed (depend phase):
 * Call stack:
 *                         ebuild.sh, line 632:  Called source '/var/db/repos/eclipse/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2.ebuild'
 *   eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2.ebuild, line   6:  Called inherit 'eutils' 'versionator' 'java-utils-2'
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2::eclipse'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2::eclipse'`.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2-r2/work/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.2'
 / * ERROR: dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1::eclipse failed (depend phase):
 * Call stack:
 *                      ebuild.sh, line 632:  Called source '/var/db/repos/eclipse/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1.ebuild'
 *   eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1.ebuild, line   6:  Called inherit 'eutils' 'versionator' 'java-utils-2'
 *                      ebuild.sh, line 312:  Called __qa_source '/var/db/repos/gentoo/eclass/eutils.eclass'
 *                      ebuild.sh, line 123:  Called source '/var/db/repos/gentoo/eclass/eutils.eclass'
 *                  eutils.eclass, line  19:  Called die
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1::eclipse'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1::eclipse'`.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1/work/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.1'
 / * ERROR: dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4::eclipse failed (depend phase):
 * Call stack:
 *                         ebuild.sh, line 632:  Called source '/var/db/repos/eclipse/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4.ebuild'
 *   eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4.ebuild, line   6:  Called inherit 'eutils' 'versionator' 'java-utils-2'
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4::eclipse'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4::eclipse'`.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0-r4/work/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.5.0'
... done!
Dependency resolution took 1.67 s (backtrack: 2/20).

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=dev-java/icu4j-56.1:56".
(dependency required by "dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin-4.6.2-r1::eclipse" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin" [argument])

Tried to install "current" version of icu4j, but that resulted in version
Quote:
dev-java/icu4j-75.1
which did not help.

If I understand that correct, it "needs" an older version :?

But as the current eclipse version on
Quote:
https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/
is 4.31 I do not think that this overlay will give me an uptodate eclipse if it tried to install a 4.5.0-r4 :?

Tried to just download and extract and it worked.

I assume there is no integration into kde menu, but if I am able to start it by console I think I can (later) also add a shortcut.

But I think that's easier than trying to fix an overlay that is described in a wiki page that is marked as 'The information in this article is probably outdated' :D

So I think I can save you the time to fix that.

Sorry for wasting your time :D
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlowMotion wrote:
I hope I understand correct :
Quote:
/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
with name
Quote:
eclipse-sdk-bin
containing
Quote:
dev-util/eclipse-sdk-bin ~amd64
Yes, that is correct.
SlowMotion wrote:
Code:
These can only be solved by fixing the ebuild. Local system configuration cannot help. You need to fork the overlay and fix in a fork, or get the maintainer to fix the ebuilds in the published overlay.
SlowMotion wrote:
Tried to install "current" version of icu4j, but that resulted in version
Quote:
dev-java/icu4j-75.1
which did not help.

If I understand that correct, it "needs" an older version :?
Yes.
SlowMotion wrote:
But as the current eclipse version on
Quote:
https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/
is 4.31 I do not think that this overlay will give me an uptodate eclipse if it tried to install a 4.5.0-r4 :?
That seems like a reasonable suspicion.
SlowMotion wrote:
Sorry for wasting your time :D
You learned how to selectively accept testing packages, so this thread was not a waste. Also, it stands as a warning that this eclipse overlay is sufficiently outdated that no one should use it in its current form.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: