elicence package.use setting?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:19 am    Post subject: elicence package.use setting? Reply with quote

Code:
emerge --ask --verbose --newuse --deep --update --with-bdeps=y @world
gives the message
Code:
!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "app-portage/elicense" has unmet requirements.
- app-portage/elicense-1.0.2::gentoo USE="" ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_TARGETS="(-pypy3) -python3_10 -python3_11"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    any-of ( python_targets_pypy3 python_targets_python3_10 python_targets_python3_11 )

I've tried
Code:
>=app-portage/elicence-1.0.2 PYTHON_TARGETS="-python3_10 -python3_11"
and
Code:
>=app-portage/elicense-1.0.2::gentoo USE="" ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_TARGETS="(-pypy3) -python3_10 -python3_11"
and a third variant but none of them have worked, What is the correct setting, please?
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to diagnose your issue, but then, elicence, really? I can't remember how long ago I last needed to add a licence ot package.licence. And it's as easy as just adding it.

Best Regards,
Georgi
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply, Georgi.

I think I should have made my question clearer -- while this isn't set in a way that satisfies portage, it refuses to compile anything else...
Gentlenoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the same today... think it's related to the python upgrade, see the news article "Python 3.12 to become the default on 2024-06-01". Have to sort that out now for myself.

Cheers, Ralph
xgivolari
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The necessary package.use declaration is "app-portage/elicense python_targets_python3_11".

Last edited by xgivolari on Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xgivolari wrote:
The necessary package.use declaration is "app-portage/elicense python_targets_python3_11". Incidentally, when portage refuses to emerge because of certain packages, you can exclude the culprits from the current operaton via the argument "--exclude (or -X) <package>".

That's not a good idea. Please don't give such advice. Exclude should be used only in specific situations and advises like that on a public support forum may bring serious headaches to someone who doesn't know what the risks are and if they know, they don't need the advise first place. Issues better be fixed accordingly rather than being swept under the rug.

Best Regards,
Georgi

Last edited by logrusx on Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynnmc wrote:
Thank you for your reply, Georgi.

I think I should have made my question clearer -- while this isn't set in a way that satisfies portage, it refuses to compile anything else...

Please post the whole command you are running plus its output plus your emerge --info. That can be done at once with wgetpaste -ic 'the command you're running without -a or --ask and -p or --pretend instead'

Best Regards,
Georgi

Last edited by logrusx on Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is app-portage/elicense: needs upgrade to Python 3.12 (PythonCompatUpdate). In short, it's a bug in the ebuild, which was reported well in advance of the tree-wide change, but no one is maintaining the ebuild, so the bug did not get fixed in time. The maintainers cannot hold up a major package waiting for every single straggler to be fixed.
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, xgivolari. I did that for the first three that showed up but then, after that, emerge was kind enough to add the necessary instructions to an existing file in /etc/portage/package.use ... and went on doing that ...

When it had finished it started emerging 106 packages...

I suppose the problem will come back when these packages are upgraded to python3_12
xgivolari
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, python 3.12 support in elicense was enabled today. You can/should remove the corresponding package.use entry now, because that will block the removal of python 3.11 if nothing else depends on it anymore.
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, xgivolari.

There must be 30 or more entries with the python_targets setting in package.use now as it wanted all of them to do the emerge.

How will I find out when to remove the others as well?
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think elicense has shown the way -- it simply needed to be emerged again, I removed its python_targets entry before reemerging it.

Thanks for all the help,

wynnmc
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU for posting this one! OMG did this have be going. I had big issues on my two x86 machines, which seemed strange, as I'd just synced off of this machine where the default python stuff went fine.

As it turned out, for some reason, this machine did NOT require the elicense package but for some reason both of those DID. Wow. I just put that updated elicense-1.0.2-r1.ebuild in my local overlay to get paste this without having to re-sync.

EDIT: Ahhh...OK. Made a little more sense out of this. Those machines are VERY old and as it turns out, I had app-portage/elicense erroneously in my world file (from way back when I was not aware of avoiding that). So all I really needed to do was to remove it from world, and depclean it away.

Thanks again.
Tom
xgivolari
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynnmc wrote:
Thanks again, xgivolari.

There must be 30 or more entries with the python_targets setting in package.use now as it wanted all of them to do the emerge.

How will I find out when to remove the others as well?

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any method to do this elegantly. To find out whether or not a package was updated to support python 3.12, you can run emerge -pv <package> or equery u <package>. This will show you all available USE-flags, including the ones for python.
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When elicence was up for reemerging, I saw the USE entry for python3_12 in the details and I think I will be able to do the same with the others. I have made a list of them all to refer to.

Thank you again, xgivolari.

wynnmc
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynnmc wrote:
When elicence was up for reemerging, I saw the USE entry for python3_12 in the details

That means python 3.12 support was added, quite likely without revision bump. After today's sync, python 3.11 is required by a few less packages without any rebuilds, that's why I think that's the case.

Regarding how to know when to remove the old package.use entries, there's no good way of checking automatically. Especially python related stuff is more specific than the other use flags. Just run emerge -pvc python:3.11 maybe after am onth from now, in the mean time open your eyes for new python 3.12 use flags being enabled on your updates.

Best Regards,
Georgi
wynnmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Georgi, I feel more confident about getting it right now.

wynnmc
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: