Font changes at boot time
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Font changes at boot time Reply with quote

Hi folks

I guess this is a trivial matter, compared to some of the things I'm fighting, but...

When I boot (using OpenRC) the console font changes at some point in the init process. I'm not exactly sure where. It changes to a font so small that I can't see it on my screen.

So I did

rc-update add consolefont boot

and chose a bigger font in /etc/conf.d/consolefont. This does get me a font I can read -- in the end -- but now there are three font switches -- the OK font I see right at the start, then the tiny one, then a different OK one.

That's not just unsightly -- most of the boot messages are still in a font that I can't read.

Can all this be prevented? I'm perfectly happy with the font size that I get at the start of boot. Can I disable whatever it is that's causing it to change?

BR, Lars.
gentoo_ram
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing it has to do with the resolution of your screen. When the kernel switches to a different frame buffer device the resolution must be changing. Look at your kernel logs to see what resolution it uses. Maybe add boot parameters to lower the resolution of your frame buffer.
lars_the_bear
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_ram wrote:
Guessing it has to do with the resolution of your screen. When the kernel switches to a different frame buffer device the resolution must be changing. Look at your kernel logs to see what resolution it uses. Maybe add boot parameters to lower the resolution of your frame buffer.

Thanks.

The only relevant thing I see in the boot log is:

Code:

[    6.343960] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 240x67

That looks right -- 240x67 is way too dense for my eyesight and screen -- but the change actually happens during execution of init scripts. I've got 'quiet' on my kernel command line, so I don't expect to see any output from the kernel itself.

But perhaps the resolution change is initiated by the kernel, but takes some time to take effect? Perhaps that why it seems to happen late? I don't know.

'nomodeset' stops all this messing about, but they the X server won't start. I just get a black screen.

Is there a kernel command line switch to change the console resolution after KMS is enabled? There's lots of conflicting information in this area.

BR, Lars.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: