View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject: adding command line options to X Reply with quote

This probably sounds like a dumb question (I just spent the last hour looking for an answer without finding one, though), but where do I configure command line options to X (starting X with lxdm as the display manager)? In particular, I want to add +iglx (disabled by default).
netfab
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here with Xfce :
- the displaymanager is calling a Xfce initialization script (/usr/bin/startxfce4)
- the Xfce initialization script is calling /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

In my case it seems there is no way to configure any variable to add some command line option to X.
But I think that could depend on your desktop initialization script.
Anyway, you can hardcode your desired option to /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, I guess your desktop should run it in the middle of the initialization process.

Another way would be to copy /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc to your ~ to modify it, but again, that depends on your desktop initialization script.
For example in /usr/bin/startxfce4 we can find :
Code:

if [ -f "$HOME/.xserverrc" ]; then                                                                     
  SERVERRC="$HOME/.xserverrc $SERVERRC"                                                               
elif [ -f /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc ]; then                                                             
  SERVERRC="/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc $SERVERRC"                                                       
fi   
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

netfab wrote:
Here with Xfce :
- the displaymanager is calling a Xfce initialization script (/usr/bin/startxfce4)
- the Xfce initialization script is calling /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

In my case it seems there is no way to configure any variable to add some command line option to X.
But I think that could depend on your desktop initialization script.
Anyway, you can hardcode your desired option to /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, I guess your desktop should run it in the middle of the initialization process.

I run lxdm as the display manager, and lumina as the desktop environment. After all of these years, I still feel confused about what gets started when (and how). Do I have this correct? The display manager (in the traditional case with display-manager in /etc/runlevels/default) starts X (even before anyone logs in). When a user logs in, the dsiplay manager calls another script (or in my case, a binary file - /usr/bin/start-lumina-desktop) to start the X session.

In my case, I want the option enabled when X starts (before anyone logs in locally). I intend to log in via ssh and run programs on the remote machine.

netfab wrote:

Another way would be to copy /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc to your ~ to modify it, but again, that depends on your desktop initialization script.
For example in /usr/bin/startxfce4 we can find :
Code:

if [ -f "$HOME/.xserverrc" ]; then                                                                     
  SERVERRC="$HOME/.xserverrc $SERVERRC"                                                               
elif [ -f /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc ]; then                                                             
  SERVERRC="/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc $SERVERRC"                                                       
fi   

How would the X server know which user's home directory to look in for xserverrc before anyone has logged in via the display manager?

One would think that the X server would have a configuration file.

I see a place to run X with options in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc:

Code:

#!/bin/sh
if [ -z "$XDG_VTNR" ]; then
  exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@"
else
  exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -keeptty "$@" "vt$XDG_VTNR"
fi

But I have no idea where "$@" or "vt$XDG_VTNR" get set (or what program uses them).
netfab
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

After all of these years, I still feel confused about what gets started when (and how).

Yes, you're not alone. Things are complicated.

Quote:

The display manager [...] starts X (even before anyone logs in). When a user logs in, the dsiplay manager calls another script [...] to start the X session.

Yes, you're right, I made a mistake in my previous post : in my case, starxfce4 does not call /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc.
My display manager is having a configuration file (/etc/slim.conf) where we find theses lines :
Code:

default_xserver     /usr/bin/X                                                                         
#xserver_arguments   -dpi 75                                                                           
xserver_arguments   -nolisten tcp -deferglyphs 16

SLim and X are running as root :
Code:

$ ps aux | grep slim
root      2636  0.0  0.1  25600 16720 ?        Ss   09:09   0:00 /usr/bin/slim
root      2643  8.1  1.0 6974524 165484 tty7   Ssl+ 09:09  64:42 /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -deferglyphs 16 -auth /var/run/slim.auth vt07

Maybe lxdm is having similar configuration entries ?

I think that the xserverrc file I talk about is used when running X through startx with your ~user, without any display manager.
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

netfab wrote:

My display manager is having a configuration file (/etc/slim.conf) where we find theses lines :
Code:

default_xserver     /usr/bin/X                                                                         
#xserver_arguments   -dpi 75                                                                           
xserver_arguments   -nolisten tcp -deferglyphs 16

SLim and X are running as root :
Code:

$ ps aux | grep slim
root      2636  0.0  0.1  25600 16720 ?        Ss   09:09   0:00 /usr/bin/slim
root      2643  8.1  1.0 6974524 165484 tty7   Ssl+ 09:09  64:42 /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -deferglyphs 16 -auth /var/run/slim.auth vt07

Maybe lxdm is having similar configuration entries ?

I do see something in /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf that looks of interest, but apparently says "not fully functional."

Code:

[server]
## arg used to start xserver, not fully function
# arg=/usr/bin/X -background vt1
# uncomment this if you really want xserver listen to tcp
# tcp_listen=1
# uncoment this if you want reset the xserver after logou
# reset=1

Code:

$ ps auwx | grep lxdm
root      2444  0.0  0.0   4720  3452 ?        Ss   Jun09   0:00 /usr/sbin/lxdm-binary
root      2501  0.2  0.6 553848 113324 tty7    Ssl+ Jun09   6:22 /usr/bin/X :0 vt07 -nolisten tcp -novtswitch -auth /var/run/lxdm/lxdm-:0.auth

Where does the "-novtswitch" option come from (that location suggests a place to add other options)? A search for vtswitch via grep in all of /etc/ turned up no matches.
netfab
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Where does the "-novtswitch" option come from (that location suggests a place to add other options)?

No. It comes form lxdm itself :
https://sourceforge.net/p/lxdm/code/ci/master/tree/src/lxdm.c#l503
Code:

if(!novtswitch)
   {
      arg[arc++] = g_strdup("-novtswitch");
   }

Reading this function I'm afraid that there is no way to add custom options with lxdm without patching it.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the caveat that I only spent a few minutes reading the source that netfab linked, and have no other experience with lxdm, I suspect it may be possible (albeit inconvenient) to add options. On https://sourceforge.net/p/lxdm/code/ci/master/tree/src/lxdm.c#l446 and #l447, the program loads (seemingly from a configuration file) a path to the X server and, if none was found, defaults it to /usr/bin/X. I suggest using that configuration file to set a path to a custom "X server" that is really a shell script such as:
/home/me/bin/wrap-start-X.sh:
#!/bin/sh

exec /usr/bin/X --my-custom-argument1 "$@"
This will allow you to add/remove arguments before the real X starts.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curmudgeon wrote:
I do see something in /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf that looks of interest, but apparently says "not fully functional."

Code:

[server]
## arg used to start xserver, not fully function
# arg=/usr/bin/X -background vt1
# uncomment this if you really want xserver listen to tcp
# tcp_listen=1
# uncoment this if you want reset the xserver after logou
# reset=1

It may not be "fully functional", but if you just add/alter the line to read
Code:
arg=/usr/bin/X +iglx
it works.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: