where how can i request paackge?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
picarica
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: where how can i request paackge? Reply with quote

hello where do request some packages? i tired looking at gentoo githbu or guru's github, but most of htem are just mirror, i wwanted to ask if package for web bwoser "Floorp" would be something that culd be worked on? i tried myself do it, by changing firefox.ebuild but it was wayy to compliced for me, and i failed, but basically its just firefox fork so it could be simple, when compatibility looks the same
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, here's an example for a package request that actually got a pull request: https://bugs.gentoo.org/602712

I don't know if it already is in tree but I'm sure about the pull request.

However, when it comes to browsers, it's not very likely one of the Gentoo package maintainers will take on additional work, given that they already have more then they can handle. Packaging a web browser is just too demanding. Unless somebody volunteers, I don't see it happening.

Also there are just too many chromium clones and chromium is particularly demanding for packaging. I didn't even bother to check if it;s chromium clone because nowadays you can't find anything else out there. Nobody clones Firefox and the others are just not good for forking. Actually I suspect Konqueror, KDE's browser is indirectly running qtwebengine's chromium.

EDIT: I can't believe but it actually is a Firefox clone!
EDIT2: nah, I don;t believe somebody is taking on that rust mess that's coming with Firefox.

Best Regards,
Georgi
picarica
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
Generally, here's an example for a package request that actually got a pull request: https://bugs.gentoo.org/602712

However, when it comes to browsers, it's not very likely one of the Gentoo package maintainers will take on additional work, given that they already have more then they can handle. Packaging a web browser is just too demanding. Unless somebody volunteers, I don't see it happening.

Also there are just too many chromium clones and chromium is particularly demanding for packaging. I didn't even bother to check if it;s chromium clone because nowadays you can't find anything else out there. Nobody clones Firefox and the others are just not good for forking. Actually I suspect Konqueror, KDE's browser is indirectly running qtwebengine's chromium.

EDIT2: nah, I don;t believe somebody is taking on that rust mess that's coming with Firefox.

Best Regards,
Georgi

i might try file that pull request, i would be oaky with bin version, it works pretty well i am running it that way, and yes thanks for the edit yes its a FIREFOX Fork :D its incredble ie even did some benchmarks and its about 4.5x faster that firefox with WEBgl and overall web browsing experience, and wow those features are incredible, i wouldnt bother with additional chromium fork, i hate those but this browser i think deservers the attention. i might make -bin .ebuil and try to add to that pull request, thanks for the direction
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picarica wrote:
logrusx wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

i might try file that pull request, i would be oaky with bin version, it works pretty well i am running it that way, and yes thanks for the edit yes its a FIREFOX Fork :D its incredble ie even did some benchmarks and its about 4.5x faster that firefox with WEBgl and overall web browsing experience, and wow those features are incredible, i wouldnt bother with additional chromium fork, i hate those but this browser i think deservers the attention. i might make -bin .ebuil and try to add to that pull request, thanks for the direction

Pull request is a git terminology, you can't add to that pull request. If you come up with an ebuild, attach it to the bug.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: