emacs GUI/pure-wayland fails when launched in su - {anyone}
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject: emacs GUI/pure-wayland fails when launched in su - {anyone} Reply with quote

regular user runs emacs(pure-gtk) fine.
However after
Code:
su -
emacs GUI throws:
Code:
Gtk warning Can not open display:

Seems like context is altered enough for emacs to try to launch under X where no xwayland allowed here.

Quite unfortunate as EDITOR=emacs is involved here to edit /etc/portage files.
EDITOR="emacs -nw" as a workaround...

Any idea how to fix?

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support

Last edited by CaptainBlood on Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:34 am; edited 4 times in total
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: emacs/pure-wayland fails under root Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:
Seems like context is altered enough for emacs to try to launch under X where no xwayland allowed here.

Could be a safety feature too.... :roll:

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: emacs/pure-wayland fails under root Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:
Could be a safety feature too.... :roll:

Well, not really:

When launching pure wayland session as root, emacs GUI runs fine.

Problem remains how to run emacs GUI from EDIT
Code:
su - {anyone}
, which runs fine in X.

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support[/code]
sMueggli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fix is: Do not run Emacs as user "root". You do not need to run an editor with elevated privileges. You just need elevated privileges to edit some files. You can run Emacs with normal user privileges and gain the elevated privileges with TRAMP (see https://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Inline-methods)
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sMueggli,

As far as root account is concerned, I agree on GUI forbidden principle.

Title changed as any user account is concerned:

Assuming wayland session running for my_user account,
emacs GUI will run fine except if launched from terminal after running
Code:
su - my_user

This doesn't occur in X.

As far as /etc/portage is concerned, here are a few scripts with params to select file(s) to edit.
One file per package paradigm here, many lines within.

If an opened read only buffer by my_user could later gained writable status on demand, that would be fine

The alternative would be to port my scripts to elisp, which is a little far for my skills

Thks 4 ut attention, interest & support.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That only works in X11 because a PAM hook propagates the required state. On my systems, I disabled that hook (pam_xauth.so) because I had no need of it and disagreed with some of its hardcoded defaults. Therefore, for me, root shells created by /bin/su - cannot run X11 programs - and I like it that way. Presumably, you need an equivalent pam_waylandauth.so (which may or may not exist, and probably does not have that specific name even if it does exist) to get this working in Wayland.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Hu,

Nice clarifications,
I'm currently investigating TRAMP /su::<absolute file path> instead.
Once working ask expected,, I'd just need to move my /usr/local/sbin scripts to /usr/local/bin.

Thks 4 ur attention, injterest and support.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: