Gentoo Minimal Installation CD Hang
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zimy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Minimal Installation CD Hang Reply with quote

Hi, I own a Dell XPS 13 9340 laptop. When booting the installation CD, i encountered this:

Code:
EFI stub: Loaded initrd from LINUX_EFI_INITRD_MEDIA_GUID device path
EFI stub: Measured initrd data into PCR 9

The installation freezes here until I force shutdown the laptop. How do I know what is the issue here? I already disabled secure boot.
RumpletonBongworth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way to know from those messages alone but I've seen it be suggested elsewhere that early microcode loading can backfire on some systems. You could try specifying dis_ucode_ldr as an additional kernel cmdline parameter to see whether this consideration applies to you (it disables the microcode loader).
zimy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RumpletonBongworth wrote:
There is no way to know from those messages alone but I've seen it be suggested elsewhere that early microcode loading can backfire on some systems. You could try specifying dis_ucode_ldr as an additional kernel cmdline parameter to see whether this consideration applies to you (it disables the microcode loader).

Thank you for your response. Where should I put this parameter?
RumpletonBongworth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zimy wrote:
Where should I put this parameter?

At the grub menu, press the 'e' key to enable its editing mode. The parameter would need to be appended to the line beginning with "linux /boot/gentoo". Next, press Ctrl+x to boot. After entering the edit mode, the keyboard shortcuts are described at the bottom of the screen so it should be fairly straightforward.
zimy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RumpletonBongworth wrote:
zimy wrote:
Where should I put this parameter?

At the grub menu, press the 'e' key to enable its editing mode. The parameter would need to be appended to the line beginning with "linux /boot/gentoo". Next, press Ctrl+x to boot. After entering the edit mode, the keyboard shortcuts are described at the bottom of the screen so it should be fairly straightforward.

So this should be the edited grub command?

Code:

linux /boot/gentoo dokeymap looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs cdroot dis_ucode_ldr
initrd /boot/gentoo.igz

Still freezes on the screen mentioned.
RumpletonBongworth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was the right way to try it.

It could also be that the framebuffer console isn't successfully initialised but, if so, I do not know what would be causing that. I'm afraid that I personally have no other suggestions concerning the Gentoo installation CD. However, you might be interested to know that you can install Gentoo from virtually any live environment. It doesn't have to be a Gentoo-branded one, necessarily. The only hard requirement is that the environment you're in contains the utilities necessary for partitioning, filesystem creation etc, and that you are able to access the Internet using it. Perhaps try the Arch Linux boot CD (that, too, is fairly minimalistic).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: