Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Has anyone had any luck with the jagex launcher?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rattiraivo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject: Has anyone had any luck with the jagex launcher? Reply with quote

So I've followed the guide: https://github.com/USA-RedDragon/jagex-launcher-linux-flatpak to no avail.

I've gotten it to work on void with kde. And at the present I also tried switching over from dwm to kde on gentoo (running dwm atm) if that'd make a difference, but it did not. I'm just mainly wondering if I'm missing a use flag or something wine related.

When I try to run it, it spits out a lengthy error message: https://bpa.st/LXWQ

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Also, my make.conf: https://bpa.st/65DQ
Darkyyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that exact stack of "errno 38 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL" errors when I use WINE-GE on my local Jagex Launcher installation, which is the build your Flatpak seems to be packaging. The repo claims that its WINE version is "up to date", and the only way it could be so while being labeled as WINE 8.0 (staging) is if it was something like WINE-GE (that's what the latest build of it is labeled as anyway). As a fellow victim of the aforementioned errors with another launcher, I can't say much about them for the moment.

EDIT: As seen in my thread, the errors described above may have been caused by compiling a custom kernel without the CONFIG_CROSS_MEMORY_ATTACH option enabled.

However, wine-staging has historically been the one build of WINE that actually managed (and still manages) to run the launcher for me in Gentoo. Could you try emerging wine-staging and then running:

Code:
wine-staging /home/youruser/.local/share/flatpak/app/com.jagex.Launcher/current/active/files/Jagex\ Launcher/JagexLauncher.exe

The path assumes that you have the launcher executable installed in the default user directory, but you may need to adjust.

Last edited by Darkyyo on Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
rattiraivo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That atleast makes the launcher run, nice. Now when I try to select osrs and then change it to runelite, it seems that it doesn't detect it, it just says: "Install" even though I have the runelite flatpak installed.
Darkyyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally, there should be a way of making Flatpak use your native wine-staging build instead of the pre-packaged one. That would make the Flatpak work as intended and automate the setup of RuneLite detection. However, I can't seem to make it so that its launch.sh script sees anything outside .local/share/flatpak, so I would appreciate if anyone could advise on that.

To set up RuneLite manually, I find that this guide has the correct steps. Know that:

- You don't need to download the RuneLite AppImage, since you should already have a working .jar in:
Code:
/home/youruser/.local/share/flatpak/runtime/com.jagex.Launcher.ThirdParty.RuneLite/x86_64/stable/active/files

- You may have to create the RuneLite directory inside the Local one of your WINE prefix.

- Since you're not using a binary to call on the .jar, RuneLite.exe will have to instead be a script with:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
java -jar [full path to your .jar]

(don't forget to "chmod +x" it)

- If the .reg file doesn't get recognized for some reason, you can still set it up via GUI by adding Uninstall and RuneLite Launcher_is1 as keys, and InstallLocation as a string.

- The %LOCALAPPDATA% expansion may not work, meaning you'll have to use the full path (C:\users\youruser\AppData\Local\RuneLite\).

After doing all this, I had to poke at the Install button to incite the launcher to check if RuneLite was installed, but your case may differ.
rattiraivo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, I can't seem to make it so that its launch.sh script sees anything outside .local/share/flatpak, so I would appreciate if anyone could advise on that.

I wonder if the flatpak "flatseal" would aid in that? I don't know, it's just a hunch.

Okay I created the RuneLite directory (In AppData/local/<here>) and put the script inside it. But where do I save the .req file? Reqistry stuff is really really foreign to me, don't know the process at all :p

Edit:
Not sure if there's a more "efficient" way of doing this but when it comes to prefixes, I've always done it so that I alias let's say "wineosrs" to the path of the wineprefix and then whenever I open something which I would like to use the specific wine prefix, I just use "wineosrs wine <program>"

And this alias goes to .bash_aliases

I guess the main benefit of that in my opinion is not having programs touch the .wine folder thus leaving it clean when specific programs get their own prefix.
Darkyyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used Flatseal yet, so I can't really comment on it. If it can really grant individual Flatpaks access to system files, then I guess it might make things work. I don't know how secure that would be, though. I would instead try to replace the launcher app's wine directory with a binary release of wine-staging from WineHQ, but that seems like an equally crazy idea.

As the guide says, you're supposed to run:

Code:
wine regedit

(you could also use "wine-staging regedit" or "regedit-staging". I find it makes little difference as long as you stay on the same prefix)

and then go to "Registry -> Import Registry File" to import the .reg file. As I said, you can make the changes indicated by the .reg file via GUI there too. I had to change the InstallLocation to "C:\users\youruser\AppData\Local\RuneLite\", since the %LOCALAPPDATA% expansion from the guide didn't want to be acknowledged by the launcher.
rattiraivo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says that the specified file is not a valid registry file.

The file:

Code:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RuneLite Launcher_is1]

"InstallLocation"="C:\users\jere\AppData\Local\Runelite\"

The file is saved as osrs.reg
Darkyyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it happened to me too. I don't know what could be missing from what they provided.

In the regedit window, navigate to the following path:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Right-click on CurrentVersion > New > Key. Name it "Uninstall".

Create a new key under Uninstall as well called "RuneLite Launcher_is1"

Right-click on this key > New > String Value. Name it "InstallLocation". Now set the corresponding path as its value.

The guide provided a screenshot of how it should look. Don't worry if their path is different.
rattiraivo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that. Now I'm guessing it should launch if I did things correctly. It shows up as "Play" on the launcher, but when I press it, it says it could not be started.

Screenshot of my setup: https://imgur.com/a/qTIhxFt

Last edited by rattiraivo on Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darkyyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you may have forgotten to set the path I told you about (C:\users\jere\AppData\Local\RuneLite\) as the value of InstallLocation.

Double-click to change it if so.
rattiraivo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were right. Having changed that now, when I press play it gives me "..." and then goes back to play :p also the font changed for some reason on the launcher.

Edit: If I press play more than once, the jagex launcher goes white.
Darkyyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you inspect the output in the terminal when you press "Play"? You may find some Java-related output that may be of help.

Last time I experienced this, I could see "Unable to access jarfile" among the errors (due to wrong full path).
rattiraivo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it. At first I was missing java and then had the same problem as you had in regards to the path. Now it finally launches :D Thanks a bunch, wouldn't have figured this stuff out on my own!

Edit: The only thing left to do is to figure out an easy way to launch it :p
Darkyyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I don't think Flatpaks have anything to do with your launcher setup anymore. You should be able to move the Jagex Launcher directory and RuneLite.jar wherever you please. If you do so, make sure to update the .jar path in the script (and maybe cp instead of mv at first for safety). Then just set up an alias for the launcher in your .bashrc/.bash_aliases
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: