View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowbert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:34 am    Post subject: X can't restore display when monitor turned off and on Reply with quote

Normally everything works great on my system. It's an old Dell laptop with almost everything connected through a USB-C docking station, including the video. However, if the monitor is turned off and back on, the display never comes back. I can switch to a console (e.g., CTRL-ALT-F1), and that works as normal. X is still running, but I can no longer make changes to it with xrandr.
# export DISPLAY=:0
# xrandr
That works and shows both the laptop and docking station screens.
But if I try to tell it to turn on or off the displays or change modes, it responds with:

xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed

This laptop doesn't have a built-in video port, so I can't verify that it's due to the docking station.

My video is the Intel video:
lspci | grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] (rev 07)

I've had this problem for years (also with a more recent Dell laptop that I no longer have), and normally I just don't turn off the monitor, so it rarely bites me, but I would really like to get to the bottom of this and solve the problem.
Banana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my problems with docking stations, but not this one.

Those two wiki pages did help to get it working without any problem so far:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Power_management/Guide
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/USB/Guide#USB_Type-C_and_Thunderbolt

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
crowbert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see anything useful on either of those pages. The regular power management works fine. The monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity and comes back just fine. It's just if you hit the power button on the monitor, it won't come back. (Likewise if there's a power glitch.)
Banana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. If I turn off my monitor connected to a dockin station to a laptop, I get a notification (xfce DE) to ask my what to do, since available the displays changed. The same as I turn it on. I do not save this setting and want to pop up if a monitor is connected. Maybe a setting in your desktop enviroment(kde, xfce etc.) does prevent any changes?

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
crowbert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana wrote:
hmm. If I turn off my monitor connected to a dockin station to a laptop, I get a notification (xfce DE) to ask my what to do, since available the displays changed. The same as I turn it on. I do not save this setting and want to pop up if a monitor is connected. Maybe a setting in your desktop enviroment(kde, xfce etc.) does prevent any changes?

I'm not running a desktop environment. Just X.org with TWM. (Well, TWM with my own patches, some of which were actually accepted upstream!)

It seems like when the monitor goes away, it's not getting cleanly removed at some layer, so when it comes back, it isn't getting initialized. I'm just not familiar enough with the software layers involved to know where to look.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: