Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpshak wrote:

Knowing that Python 3.12 was going to be the default starting June 1st, I added it to 'python-exec.conf:'

What prompted that action?

Best Regards,
Georgi
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
As expected, none of this is KDE stuff.

Really?
>=dev-python/packaging-24.1 python_targets_python3_11
# required by dev-python/setuptools-70.0.0::gentoo
# required by dev-python/mako-1.3.5::gentoo
# required by media-libs/mesa-24.1.2::gentoo
# required by x11-base/xwayland-24.1.0::gentoo
# required by kde-plasma/kwin-6.1.0::gentoo
# required by kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-6.1.0::gentoo
# required by kde-plasma/xdg-desktop-portal-kde-6.1.0::gentoo
# required by kde-plasma/plasma-integration-6.1.0-r1::gentoo

>=dev-python/jaraco-text-3.12.1 python_targets_python3_11
# required by dev-python/jaraco-functools-4.0.1::gentoo
# required by dev-python/jaraco-text-3.12.1::gentoo
# required by dev-python/setuptools-70.0.0::gentoo
# required by dev-python/mako-1.3.5::gentoo
# required by media-libs/mesa-24.1.2::gentoo
# required by x11-base/xwayland-24.1.0::gentoo

Edited to fix format errors.
# required by kde-plasma/kwin-6.1.0::gentoo

>=dev-python/more-itertools-10.3.0 python_targets_python3_11
# required by net-libs/libaccounts-glib-1.27::gentoo
# required by net-libs/accounts-qt-1.17::gentoo
# required by kde-apps/kaccounts-integration-24.05.1::gentoo
# required by kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-6.1.0::gentoo[kaccounts]

and
>=dev-python/fastjsonschema-2.20.0 python_targets_python3_11
# required by kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-6.1.0::gentoo

# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)

Edited to fix format errors.
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
dpshak wrote:

Knowing that Python 3.12 was going to be the default starting June 1st, I added it to 'python-exec.conf:'

Best Regards,
Georgi

A news article (eselect news list) was published a few months ago.
I don't know when the: PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET and PYTHON_TARGETS went extinct, but earlier this year (or maybe late last year?) there was either a news item, or a message within portage, that implied that using those keywords in 'make.conf' had been deprecated in favor of a new system whereby you would append those attributes to an individual package in 'make.conf.' That seemed stupid to me, considering Python is used, almost universally in Gentoo. However, because I couldn't find any 'wiki' items that talked about the various Python iterations, I decided to leave well enough alone!

So, after some research (when building this laptop)- knowing that Python3_12 was going to be the default - I let the system build and added Python3_12 to that config file to be ready for the future update. To be clear: using emerge -uUDav solved the majority of my dependency issues on BOTH machines!
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpshak wrote:
logrusx wrote:
dpshak wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

...knowing that Python3_12 was going to be the default - I let the system build and added Python3_12 to that config file...

No news item or wiki item mentions that file anywhere.

Anyway modern Gentoo has gone the way whereby the less files you edit, the better for your system.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpshak wrote:
Really?

Really.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpshak wrote:
logrusx wrote:
dpshak wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

I don't know when the: PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET and PYTHON_TARGETS went extinct, but earlier this year (or maybe late last year?) there was either a news item, or a message within portage, that implied that using those keywords in 'make.conf' had been deprecated in favor of a new system whereby you would append those attributes to an individual package in 'make.conf.' That seemed stupid to me, considering Python is used, almost universally in Gentoo. However, because I couldn't find any 'wiki' items that talked about the various Python iterations, I decided to leave well enough alone!

So, after some research (when building this laptop)- knowing that Python3_12 was going to be the default - I let the system build and added Python3_12 to that config file to be ready for the future update. To be clear: using emerge -uUDav solved the majority of my dependency issues on BOTH machines!

As already mentioned, no news item prompted such an action. I personally have never edited that file and I haven't heard or seen such advice here on the forums or elsewhere. I remember it mentione long ago, but that was well before the current system for python support or at most while it was still developing, at least more than 3 years ago. I don't know what that research might be but you must have somehow compiled that from incomplete information. Putting python related stuff in make.conf is discouraged in favor of per-package entries in package.use. For global settings, use the syntax from the real python 3.12 migration news item:

Code:
*/* PYTHON_TARGETS -* python3_12
*/* PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET -* python3_11 python3_12

again in package.use

Also refrain from attempting such random actions in-between forum posts when you're asking for help. Do not pollute the situation people are already working on to help you.

EDIT: I just checked out, maybe you're talking about:

Quote:
2021-01-30 (2021-01-30-python-preference-to-follow-python-targets - removed?)

but that's long been irrelevant and perhaps removed for that reason.

Best Regards,
Georgi
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
Anyway modern Gentoo has gone the way whereby the less files you edit, the better for your system.

If you lack the technical understanding, the more configuration changes you make, the more complexity you add. That is neither special to "modern" Gentoo or Gentoo at all.
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every option in a configuration file is an extra constraint for Portage to satisfy. Portage will try very, very hard to honour your requests and isn't always great at telling you which constraint you added years ago is causing it to do that, though.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpshak wrote:
I don't know when the: PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET and PYTHON_TARGETS went extinct, but earlier this year (or maybe late last year?) there was either a news item, or a message within portage, that implied that using those keywords in 'make.conf' had been deprecated in favor of a new system whereby you would append those attributes to an individual package in 'make.conf.' That seemed stupid to me, considering Python is used, almost universally in Gentoo.
Setting these values in make.conf is an assignment, so you ignore whatever your profile would have done and get exactly what you wrote, no more, no less. Adjusting these in package.use is a modification, so you add or remove relative to the profile's choices. This is encouraged because it is much more flexible. You can change the target for a small number of special packages, without touching everything else. If you want to affect every package, you can use a wildcard, and still have the flexibility to selectively add or remove targets. For example, you could enable python3.12 on everything ahead of when the profile sets it, without disabling the inherited-from-profile python3.11 support. When Gentoo switches off python3.11-by-default (earlier this month, according to the news), then you pick up that change. The equivalent in make.conf would have been to force-enable both versions for everything, and ignore both Gentoo enabling python3.12 and disabling python3.11.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: