Blender failed to open immediately after the installing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antoniovalos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:55 am    Post subject: Blender failed to open immediately after the installing Reply with quote

I installed Bleder without any error messages, but i click on the icon, but It does not open.
I tryed to open it from terminal and I got this error message:

Code:

antonio@tux ~ $ blender-4.1
xkbcommon: ERROR: couldn't find a Compose file for locale "C.UTF8" (mapped to "C.UTF8")
EGL Error (0x3009): EGL_BAD_MATCH: Arguments are inconsistent (for example, a valid context requires buffers not supplied by a valid surface).
EGL Error (0x3009): EGL_BAD_MATCH: Arguments are inconsistent (for example, a valid context requires buffers not supplied by a valid surface).
Warning: No OpenGL vendor detected.
blender-4.1: ../libepoxy-1.5.10/src/dispatch_common.c:872: epoxy_get_proc_address: Assertion `0 && "Couldn't find current GLX or EGL context.\n"' failed.
Aborted

How can I solve this problem?
Cygon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error message makes it look very much like an issue with OpenGL support on your system.

What GPU and which driver are you running? Are other 3D / OpenGL applications working?

From https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/ these are the OpenGL versions needed for Blender, by version:
Code:

Blender 4.x -> OpenGL 4.3
Blender 3.6 -> OpenGL 3.3
Blender 2.79 -> OpenGL 2.1
Blender 2.76 -> OpenGL 1.4

So it could be
- due an integrated GPU or older GPU that doesn't support OpenGL 4.3 yet,
- drivers that don't support OpenGL 4.3 yet
- your media-libs/mesa might not being built for your GPU (Gentoo's mesa uses the VIDEO_CARDS environment variable, see bottom of https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/media-libs/mesa for the settings it picks up)

You can check if the older Blender LTS releases (complete Linux builds can be downloaded from the Blender website) work.

Last but not least, Blender is moving to the Vulkan graphics API, it is enabled in early alpha builds (https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2023/10/blender-enables-vulkan-as-an-experimental-option/ - download the linked alpha build and pass --factory-startup --gpu-backend vulkan on the command line). That might not be the best option stability-wise, but if you have a capable GPU, it's an option.
antoniovalos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My computer does not have an dedicated video card, it is very old, it is an i5 third generation with 8GB RAM.
I used blender many times on my computer (that time I was not using gentoo, but debian), to render simple objects.
Is there a way to install blender on my computer? I just installed gentoo on my computer.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antoniovalos wrote:
My computer does not have an dedicated video card, it is very old, it is an i5 third generation with 8GB RAM.
I used blender many times on my computer (that time I was not using gentoo, but debian), to render simple objects.
Is there a way to install blender on my computer? I just installed gentoo on my computer.

3rd Gen i5 is Ivy Bridge. Ivy Bridge has a max OpenGL of 4.2 on mesa according to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel
So if Cygon's version map is true, you cannot use Blender 4.x, only 3.6. (or possibly the vulkan builds)

I would suggest emerge --deselect media-gfx/blender then emerge media-gfx/blender:3.6. Do understand that a bunch of python 3.11 must be reenabled in package.use files to get this to work.
antoniovalos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try this solution later

antoniovalos wrote:

I would suggest emerge --deselect media-gfx/blender then emerge media-gfx/blender:3.6. Do understand that a bunch of python 3.11 must be reenabled in package.use files to get this to work.

I installed OpenGL

Code:

virtual/opengl
dev-perl/OpenGL

And installed Intel drivers

Code:

xf86-video-intel

Do I need to do something else to have Blender 3.6 working on my computer?
Cygon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antoniovalos wrote:

You probably had Blender 3.6 installed on your Debian system.
Blender 3.6 should run on your i5 with Gentoo, too.

1) Check that your make.conf is setting VIDEO_CARDS like this:
Code:
# /etc/portage/make.conf
# ...
VIDEO_CARDS="intel"
# ...

2) (( Note: the OpenGL package is media-libs/mesa. It's installed automatically when you install Blender via emerge. ))

3) grknight's instructions are exactly what I'd suggest as well.

The newer versions, like Blender 4.1 (released only two months ago), probably won't run.on the old i5 without a dedicated GPU.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cygon wrote:
Last but not least, Blender is moving to the Vulkan graphics API, it is enabled in early alpha builds (https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2023/10/blender-enables-vulkan-as-an-experimental-option/ - download the linked alpha build and pass --factory-startup --gpu-backend vulkan on the command line). That might not be the best option stability-wise, but if you have a capable GPU, it's an option.

As I look deeper, this is actually part of the 4.1.1 ebuild as well. It can be enabled with both the vulkan USE and the experimental USE. No need for an extra download.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: