[Solved] Can't install KiCAD because of some Python problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:58 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Can't install KiCAD because of some Python problem Reply with quote

Hi folks

I'm trying to set up KiCAD on a Gentoo system I just installed. By `emerge sci-electronics/kicad` fails with an error message:

Code:

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied: exactly-on-of ( python_single_target_python3_10 python_single_target_python3_10 )

There's some discussion of similar topics elsewhere on this forum, but I didn't understand it. FWIW `emerge --info` shows

PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12" and PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12"

I'm afraid I don't know what any of this means. Can anybody tell me what I need to do to proceed?

BR, Lars.

Last edited by lars_the_bear on Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest to allow the testing ebuild of sci-electronics/kicad by placing it in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords (which indirectly requires dev-python/wxpython there too)
This supports python 3.12 and will be less of a headache than trying to use a stable which is python 3.11 or less.

On the other hand, if version 8 is undesirable for a different technical reason, then the only choice is to enable the python3_11 single target and disable the python3_12 single target in package.use. This will then cascade down the python chain, often quite deep.
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. I have started installing it. Looks like it could take a while.

KiCAD has a dependency on WxWidgets, which I kind-of understand. But do you know, or does anybody know, why WxWidgets had a dependency on GStreamer? KiCAD is not (so far as I know) known for its media capabilities. I can't see why it would need GStreamer, even indirectly.

GStreamer is one of the things I usually avoid; not for any good reason, but because I assume that anything so closely associated with Gnome must be bad ;) It's a pretty substantial thing to have to compile from source, if you don't need it.

BR, Lars.
eschwartz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the ebuild:

Code:

# wxPython doesn't seem to be able to optionally disable features. webkit is
# optionally patched out because it's so huge, but other elements are not,
# which makes us have to require all features from wxGTK
DEPEND="
        >=x11-libs/wxGTK-3.0.4-r301:${WX_GTK_VER}=[gstreamer,libnotify,opengl,sdl,tiff,webkit?,X]

python_prepare_all() {
        if ! use webkit; then
                eapply "${FILESDIR}/${PN}-4.2.0-no-webkit.patch"
        fi

Perhaps you could convince upstream to add a build option for disabling gstreamer.
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eschwartz wrote:

Perhaps you could convince upstream to add a build option for disabling gstreamer.

To be honest, alongside the colossal size of KiCAD, the 50Mb or so of GStreamer is a drop in the ocean.

KiCAD 8 does work on my system, after twelve hours of compilation; but it's not as fast as 7.0.9, which is what I've used up until now. But isn't that always the case?

BR, Lars.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: