Can't install FreeCAD because of (?) something to do with qt
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: Can't install FreeCAD because of (?) something to do with qt Reply with quote

Hi folks

I tried `emerge freecad` but it failed with this message:

Code:

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "freecad" has unmet requirements.
- media-gfx/freecad-0.21.2-r3::gentoo USE="addonmgr fem gui idf image inspection material openscad part-design path points raytracing robot show surface techdraw tux -cloud -debug -designer -netgen -pcl -qt6 -test" ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    python_single_target_python3_12? ( gui? ( qt6 ) )

The above constraints are a subset of the following complete expression:
    exactly-one-of ( python_single_target_python3_10 python_single_target_python3_11 python_single_target_python3_12 ) designer? ( gui ) inspection? ( points ) path? ( robot ) python_single_target_python3_12? ( gui? ( qt6 ) )

I'm not sure how/if qt6 is involved here. I don't have any global settings related to qt, either for or against.

I appreciate that there's a similar thread on this subject already, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't really understand it.

BR, Lars.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With python_single_target_python3_12 you should enable qt6 due this bug (comment #4)..
If you want to use qt5 you should enable python_single_target_python3_11.
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
With python_single_target_python3_12 you should enable qt6 due this bug (comment #4)..
If you want to use qt5 you should enable python_single_target_python3_11.

Thanks, Is that just a matter of 'USE=qt6...' or is there more to it?

At present, I don't have any qt stuff at all, so I don't care about the version.

BR, Lars.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't care about the version of qt (however qt5 and qt6 can coexist) simply enable qt6 to package.
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I added USE=qt6, but now I get another problem. Any suggestions welcome.

BR, Lars.

Code:

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "dev-python/pyside6:=[gui,svg,webchannel,webengine,python_targets_python3_12(-)]" has unmet requirements.
- dev-python/pyside6-6.7.1::gentoo USE="bluetooth concurrent dbus gui network opengl printsupport sql svg testlib webchannel webengine widgets xml -3d -charts -designer -gles2-only -help -location -multimedia -network-auth -nfc -pdfium -positioning -qml -quick -quick3d -scxml -sensors -serialport -spatialaudio -speech -test -websockets" ABI_X86="(64)" LLVM_SLOT="17 -15 -16 (-18)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11 (-python3_13)"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    webchannel? ( qml ) webengine? ( quick )

The above constraints are a subset of the following complete expression:
    any-of ( python_targets_python3_10 python_targets_python3_11 python_targets_python3_12 python_targets_python3_13 ) 3d? ( gui network ) charts? ( gui widgets ) designer? ( widgets ) gles2-only? ( gui ) gui? ( dbus opengl ) help? ( network sql widgets ) location? ( gui network positioning quick ) multimedia? ( gui network ) network-auth? ( network ) opengl? ( gui ) pdfium? ( gui ) printsupport? ( widgets ) qml? ( network ) quick? ( gui network opengl qml ) quick3d? ( gui network opengl qml quick ) spatialaudio? ( multimedia ) speech? ( multimedia ) sql? ( widgets ) svg? ( gui ) testlib? ( widgets ) webchannel? ( qml ) webengine? ( network gui printsupport quick webchannel ) websockets? ( network ) widgets? ( gui ) exactly-one-of ( llvm_slot_15 llvm_slot_16 llvm_slot_17 llvm_slot_18 )

(dependency required by "media-gfx/freecad-0.21.2-r3::gentoo[python_single_target_python3_12,qt6,gui]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "freecad" [argument])
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enable the qml and quick flags for pyside6.

Be aware though that qt6 support in freecad is still experimental and upstream does not consider it stable.

The root of the issue is that qt5's pyside2 does not support python 3.12, so if we want to compile with 3.12 then we must choose qt6's pyside6 instead.
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, but now I'm stuck somewhere else. What does it mean to 'merge packages'? Is that a safe thing to do?

BR, Lars.

Code:

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

sci-libs/vtk:0

(sci-libs/vtk-9.3.0:0/9.3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="freetype logging openmp qt6 rendering sdl threads views -all-modules -boost (-cuda) (-debug) -doc -examples -ffmpeg -gdal -gles2-only -imaging -java -las -mpi -mysql -odbc -opencascade -openvdb -pdal -postgres -python -qt5 -tbb -test -tk -vtkm -web" ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11" VIDEO_CARDS="-nvidia" conflicts with
    <sci-libs/vtk-9.3.0:=[rendering] required by (sci-libs/opencascade-7.7.0-r2:0/7.7::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="json vtk -doc -examples -ffmpeg -freeimage -gles2 -optimize (-tbb)" ABI_X86="(64)"
    ^             ^^^^^

dev-libs/pegtl:0

(dev-libs/pegtl-3.2.7:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="" ABI_X86="(64)" conflicts with
    <dev-libs/pegtl-3 required by (sci-libs/vtk-9.2.5:0/9.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="logging openmp qt6 rendering sdl threads -all-modules -boost (-cuda) (-debug) -doc -examples -ffmpeg -freetype -gdal -imaging -java -las -mpi -mysql -odbc -openvdb -pdal -postgres -python -qt5 -tbb -test -tk -views -vtkm -web" ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="-python3_10 -python3_11" VIDEO_CARDS="-nvidia"
    ^               ^

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
Thank you, but now I'm stuck somewhere else. What does it mean to 'merge packages'? Is that a safe thing to do?

BR, Lars.

"To merge" is Gentoo-speak for "to install", as in, you're using e*merge* to "merge" the contents of the package with the rest of your system. So yes, it is safe to do.

The warning you're seeing is portage telling you it cannot use the latest version of vtk and pegtl because freecad requires an older version (will be fixed in the next release of freecad)
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="AndrewAmmerlaan"]
lars_the_bear wrote:

"To merge" is Gentoo-speak for "to install", as in, you're using e*merge* to "merge" the contents of the package with the rest of your system. So yes, it is safe to do.

D'oh! Yeah, it always says 'merge'. I was confused by all the messages about conflicts. I read 'merge' in Git terms, which was what scared me.

Well, the build has started. But with 101 packages to build, including Go, Fortran (Fortran?), Qt6... I'm not sure it's a practical proposition. Still, worth a try.

BR, Lars.
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's a bit of a painful package to install, opencascade, vtk, pyside, qtwebengine, and freecad itself, all take rather long to compile. (though updates are not super frequent so you'll not have to do it again for quite some time, and then not all in one go)

Here's a potentially controversial suggestion, but freecad is also available as flatpak/snap. IMO it sometimes makes sense to use flatpaks for user-level applications such as this, especially on lower-end hardware.
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewAmmerlaan wrote:

Here's a potentially controversial suggestion, but freecad is also available as flatpak/snap. IMO it sometimes makes sense to use flatpaks for user-level applications such as this, especially on lower-end hardware.

Thanks. I'll try that if all else fails. It seems that behemoths like this are going the flatpak/snap way in most Linux distributions. I found that annoying, until I realized how many, fussy dependencies they have.

BR, Lars.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: