Kernel Panic - VFS not Synching
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Kernel Panic - VFS not Synching Reply with quote

Not sure what's causing this suddenly as it was working fine recently

System Info:
1TB Sata SSD for Gentoo with 100mb ESP rest is Ext4

EFI Stub kernel - reason it attempted to boot

LSI 9300 HBA with drivers built into the kernel with disks limit changed to 16 for SaS2 and 32 for SaS3

have the EFI Framebuffer built in on a Radeon 6800. Console ends up readable but using one-third of the screen width (left side) so I'm not sure what's wrong there. I do know the full screen is available to the framebuffer as a nano test showed - was able to pass the right border.

All I can think of is for some reason, the kernel is not getting the system partuuid= information. Do I need to change the fstab to use the /dev/sdh2 entry instead? Or should I pass the partuuid= on the kernel command line?

EDIT to add:
I do not have/use an initrd (initramfs) since the few modules I use are not needed at boot.
4x 4TB Sata - 2x 2TB Sata SSD - 4x 450GB SaS - 3x 900GB SaS - 72GB SaS for Gentoo system disk
LSI 9300-16i in HBA mode for all spinning disks
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the output of lsblk? What kernel command line are you using, when you get the panic?
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Kernel Panic - VFS not Synching Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
All I can think of is for some reason, the kernel is not getting the system partuuid= information. Do I need to change the fstab to use the /dev/sdh2 entry instead? Or should I pass the partuuid= on the kernel command line?

/etc/fstab is irrelevant at this stage - after all, the kernel would need to be able to read your rootfs to be able to read /etc/fstab in the first place. I know it's called boot-strap but that's a bit too far!
Passing partuuid, as in root=PARTUUID=foo, is probably your best shot.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning out to be a more complex issue then suspected so watch this thread if interested:

1st - I do not use an initrd/initramfs and looking at linux-firmware package, it turns out it had a flag "initramfs" enabled so I've removed that flag and rebuilt it and the kernel - still getting the kernel panic at VFS Sync

2nd - I've found a number of reports about having IOMMU enabled in the firmware of the board causing issues for many folks. I'm using an Asrock board and they explictly state on their website they only test with Windows and don't support any other OS on their products. Note this is not AsRock Rack, which is their server division where they do support Linux due to demand.

3rd - One test I do need to run is pulling the HBA card. It could be a bios/uefi conflict as the card is for servers. I've noticed that all of my Windows disks that are connected to it take a while to spin up under Windows and need to see if the build can finish booting without the card installed. I'd really prefer to stick with a pure uefi set but if needed, I can switch to an mbr and use Lilo due to having a small SSD available. A bit old but still works.

Another test I've done involved trying to get Ubunta to install and even it threw errors - unspecified (may as well be windows) An Error occured and we didn't manage to install. So there you have it from the mouth of Canocal - Even they don't like my hardware.

Last is finding a copy of the flash utility for the HBA firmware. I have the latest version that is supposed to fix many issues discovered since the card was released. Right now, I don't care if it's from IBM or Dell so long as it works with the chipset of the HBA to update. Even saw a forum post where someone was able to use the MegaRaid software to update the firmware and add the efi rom. That would be the easiest long term solution but I can't find the post again.
4x 4TB Sata - 2x 2TB Sata SSD - 4x 450GB SaS - 3x 900GB SaS - 72GB SaS for Gentoo system disk
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the update:

1st - had to reset the hba to defaults, which seems to have solve some of the problems
2nd - downgraded the mobo firmware seven versions which helped - seems there was an interaction between the mobo and hba firmware
3rd - reboot into windows and the drives that had slow access are now normal - again, seems that some of the problem was an interaction between mobo and card firmware due to all the updates with so called security fixes
4th - something wiped the minimal install flash drive - fragged the partition completely so I've had to redownload the stage3 tarball.

Makes a speed install for a minimal system a bit interesting as I lost all of the files such as the fstab, package.use, make.conf and such that were on it. Oh well, they're easy enough to recreate as needed.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an Update:

The Speed build was semi successful though it dropped into a repair console instead of a full boot. I did use an initrd (dracut) with refind.

Checked my kernel config and had ext2 support as a module. That's now fixed :oops:

Another stupid mistake was forgetting to enable /dev/shmfs (tmpfs). Now fixed :oops:

Last but not least, I had to roll back the motherboard firmware another two (2) levels. Now the board shows the bios splash screen as expected. Will be testing the rebuilt kernel and see if I've solved all of the problems - hope so as it did boot most of the way. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: