View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Gamescope - Problems with Flatpak Steam Reply with quote

>Backstory
I am currently trying to switch from X11 to Wayland (again). As my GPU is quite fast, i was using downsampling when i was still on Windows, and on Linux i use xrandr scaling like this:
Code:
xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --scale 1.5 && gamemoderun mangohud %command% && xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --scale 1

As i was unable to figure out how to downsample on Wayland directly, i read https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Downsampling, and figured out i would use Gamescope.

>My Software
I am running Flatpak-Steam https://flathub.org/apps/com.valvesoftware.Steam to isolate the closed source software a bit more from my system, so i installed Flatpak-Gamescope https://flathub.org/apps/org.freedesktop.Platform.VulkanLayer.gamescope to match it.

>The Problem on Wayland
When i run gamescope -- %command% (In my case for Baldur's Gate 3 on Vulkan), a message appears:
Code:
CreateSwapchainKHR: Creating swapchain for non-Gamescope swapchain.
Hooking has failed somewhere!
You may have a bad Vulkan layer interfering.
Press OK to try to power through this error, or Cancel to stop.

When i press OK, another pup-up is shown:
Code:
QueuePresentKHR: Attempting to present to a non-hooked swapchain.
Hooking has failed somewhere!
You may have a bad Vulkan layer interfering.
Press OK to try to power through this error, or Cancel to stop.

When i press OK, the game just starts completely normal. However it seems Gamescope is off or something because
Code:
gamescope -w 3840 -h 2160 -W 2560 -H 1440 -f -e -- gamemoderun mangohud %command%
does nothing more than this. (Even though it should allow me to set my render resolution in game to 3840x2160).

>The Problem on X11
When i run gamescope -- %command% (In my case for Baldur's Gate 3 on Vulkan), the game crashes immediately. Then the game's crash reporter asks me to send a crash report.

>Potential Solution
I have found someone with a similar problem https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/18eu14n/flatpak_gamescope_has_suddenly_stopped_working/, but their solution does not work for me:
Code:
user $ flatpak update --commit=0b3543a920d07271426945f9ebde207de89232475d6f6ba8bf98ff7cb3f2590e runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform.VulkanLayer.gamescope/x86_64/23.08
Searching for updates...
Error: Server returned 404

>I loose track
In Line 936 in https://github.com/ValveSoftware/gamescope/blob/master/layer/VkLayer_FROG_gamescope_wsi.cpp there is the first error message displayed when "if (!gamescopeSurface)", so i suspect gamescope is off for me. Unfortunately i can't make much of the code.

>System:
  • Kernel: 6.1.90-gentoo
  • Windowing System: Wayland and X11 tested
  • Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma 5.27.11
  • GPU: AMD RX 6800XT
  • Display: 2560x1440@165FPS, VRR

Thank you for your time!
milkfat32
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue but not using Flatpak.

My issue was fixed by not using mangohud in the launch parameters.

Running gamescope --help:

Code:
  --mangoapp                     Launch with the mangoapp (mangohud) performance overlay enabled. You should use this instead of using mangohud on the game or gamescope.
shadowfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately this does not work for me. Simply running 'gamescope -- %command%' -- so just the game in gamescope without any tweaks -- throws these errors. And running 'gamescope -w 3840 -h 2160 -W 2560 -H 1440 -f -e -- %command%' does not unlock higher resolutions in game.
milkfat32
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case, the only suggestion I have left is to use the --expose-wayland parameter for when you are running it in Wayland.

I personally tried the exact same setup that you have and could not get it to work, so I bit the bullet and installed steam and mangohud from the overlays and gamescope from the official repository, but that is not an ideal solution in this case.
shadowfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried --expose-wayland, but as you expected just got more errors:
Wayland + Gamescope + Baldur's Gate 3 DX11
Code:
gamescope --expose-wayland -w 3840 -h 2160 -W 2560 -H 1440 -f -e -- %command%

Displayed as window:
Code:
DirectX Error
The game has failed to initialize DirectX and will shut down.
This error may be triggered by reasons that are not related to Baldurs Gate 3.

Please try the following before restarting:
- Disable any screen recording software you may be running
- Make sure all your Windows updates have been installed
. Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed
- Disable SLI/CrossFireX

You could also try contacting developer support with your gold.log and DxDiag.txt.
If you make significant change to your system (like installing updates or drivers), please send us before and after
versions of those files. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error: E_FAIL
Description: Call failed.

BufferDesc.Width: 2560
BufferDesc.Height: 1418
BufferDesc.Format: 24
BufferDesc.RefreshRate.Numerator: 165000
BufferDesc.RefreshRate.Denominator: 1000
BufferCount: 3
OutputWindow: 65844

Logged in console:
Code:
 $ flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam
fsync: up and running.
chdir "/home/shadowfly/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Baldurs Gate 3/bin"
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/shadowfly/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/shadowfly/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
console: gamescope-brokey version 3.14.22
No CAP_SYS_NICE, falling back to regular-priority compute and threads.
Performance will be affected.
Your Wayland compositor does NOT support wp_presentation/presentation-time which is required for VK_KHR_present_wait and VK_KHR_present_id.
Please complain to your compositor vendor for support. Falling back to X11 window with less accurate present wait.
xdg_backend: Couldn't create Wayland objects.
Adding process 4134 for gameID 1086940
vulkan: selecting physical device 'AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (RADV NAVI21)': queue family 1 (general queue family 0)
vulkan: physical device supports DRM format modifiers
Fossilize INFO: Overriding serialization path: "/home/shadowfly/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/1086940/fozpipelinesv6/steamapprun_pipeline_cache".
wlserver: [backend/headless/backend.c:67] Creating headless backend
vulkan: supported DRM formats for sampling usage:
vulkan:   AR24 (0x34325241)
vulkan:   XR24 (0x34325258)
vulkan:   AB24 (0x34324241)
vulkan:   XB24 (0x34324258)
vulkan:   RG16 (0x36314752)
vulkan:   NV12 (0x3231564E)
vulkan:   AB4H (0x48344241)
vulkan:   XB4H (0x48344258)
vulkan:   AB48 (0x38344241)
vulkan:   XB48 (0x38344258)
vulkan:   AB30 (0x30334241)
vulkan:   XB30 (0x30334258)
vulkan:   AR30 (0x30335241)
vulkan:   XR30 (0x30335258)
vulkan: Creating Gamescope nested swapchain with format 44 and colorspace 0
wlserver: Using explicit sync when available
wlserver: Running compositor on wayland display 'gamescope-0'
wlserver: [backend/headless/backend.c:17] Starting headless backend
wlserver: Successfully initialized libei for input emulation!
wlserver: [xwayland/sockets.c:64] Failed to bind socket @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0: Address already in use
wlserver: [xwayland/sockets.c:64] Failed to bind socket @/tmp/.X11-unix/X1: Address already in use
wlserver: [xwayland/server.c:107] Starting Xwayland on :2
wlserver: [types/wlr_compositor.c:771] New wlr_surface 0x555e643a4280 (res 0x555e6437e690)
wlserver: [xwayland/server.c:272] Xserver is ready
pipewire: pw_context_connect failed
Warning: failed to setup PipeWire, screen capture won't be available
vblank: Using timerfd.
Adding process 4146 for gameID 1086940
Adding process 4156 for gameID 1086940
ATTENTION: default value of option vk_khr_present_wait overridden by environment.
ATTENTION: default value of option vk_xwayland_wait_ready overridden by environment.
ATTENTION: default value of option vk_khr_present_wait overridden by environment.
ATTENTION: default value of option vk_xwayland_wait_ready overridden by environment.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 1086940
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561198065863189 [API loaded no]
[Gamescope WSI] Forcing on VK_EXT_swapchain_maintenance1.
Fossilize INFO: Overriding serialization path: "/home/shadowfly/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/1086940/fozpipelinesv6/steamapprun_pipeline_cache".
[Gamescope WSI] Creating Gamescope surface: xid: 0x5000010
[Gamescope WSI] Atom of T was wrong type. Expected XCB_ATOM_CARDINAL.
wlserver: [types/wlr_compositor.c:771] New wlr_surface 0x555e643f17b0 (res 0x555e64386bd0)
[Gamescope WSI] Made gamescope surface for xid: 0x5000010
[Gamescope WSI] Surface state:
  steam app id:                  1086940
  window xid:                    0x5000010
  wayland surface res id:        5
  layer client flags:            0x0
  server hdr output enabled:     false
  hdr formats exposed to client: false

>>>>>>GAME STARTED HERE<<<<<<

wine: setpriority 3 for pid -1 failed: 3
[Gamescope WSI] Creating Gamescope surface: xid: 0x6000059
wlserver: [types/wlr_compositor.c:771] New wlr_surface 0x555e643f61f0 (res 0x555e64387ce0)
[Gamescope WSI] Made gamescope surface for xid: 0x6000059
  window xid:                    0x6000059
  layer client flags:            0x4
[Gamescope WSI] Creating swapchain for xid: 0x6000059 - minImageCount: 4 - format: VK_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM - colorspace: VK_COLOR_SPACE_SRGB_NONLINEAR_KHR - flip: false
[Gamescope WSI] Failed to get Xwayland server id. Failing swapchain creation.
gamescope: children shut down!
terminate called without an active exception
(EE) failed to read Wayland events: Broken pipe
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMAPPLIST_INTERFACE_VERSION001 / AppList
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMAPPS_INTERFACE_VERSION008 / Apps
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMHTMLSURFACE_INTERFACE_VERSION_005 / HTMLSurface
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMHTTP_INTERFACE_VERSION003 / HTTP
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMINVENTORY_INTERFACE_V003 / Inventory
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMMUSICREMOTE_INTERFACE_VERSION001 / MusicRemote
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMMUSIC_INTERFACE_VERSION001 / Music
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMPARENTALSETTINGS_INTERFACE_VERSION001 / ParentalSettings
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMREMOTEPLAY_INTERFACE_VERSION001 / RemotePlay
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMREMOTESTORAGE_INTERFACE_VERSION016 / RemoteStorage
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMSCREENSHOTS_INTERFACE_VERSION003 / Screenshots
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMUGC_INTERFACE_VERSION016 / UGC
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMUSERSTATS_INTERFACE_VERSION012 / UserStats
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMVIDEO_INTERFACE_V002 / Video
Game 1086940 created interface SteamController008 /
Game 1086940 created interface SteamFriends017 / Friends
Game 1086940 created interface SteamInput006 /
Game 1086940 created interface SteamInput006 / Controller
Game 1086940 created interface SteamMatchGameSearch001 / GameSearch
Game 1086940 created interface SteamMatchMaking009 / Matchmaking
Game 1086940 created interface SteamMatchMakingServers002 / MatchmakingServers
Game 1086940 created interface SteamNetworking006 / Networking
Game 1086940 created interface SteamNetworkingMessages002 /
Game 1086940 created interface SteamNetworkingSockets012 /
Game 1086940 created interface SteamNetworkingUtils004 /
Game 1086940 created interface SteamParties002 / Parties
Game 1086940 created interface SteamUser021 / User
Game 1086940 created interface SteamUtils010 /
Game 1086940 created interface SteamUtils010 / Utils
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientNetworkingUtilsSerialized::GotLocationString : 1
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientNetworkingSocketsSerialized::GetSTUNServer : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientNetworkingSocketsSerialized::GetCachedRelayTicketCount : 1
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientNetworkingSocketsSerialized::GetCertAsync : 1
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientHTTP::ReleaseHTTPRequest : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientHTTP::GetHTTPResponseBodyData : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientHTTP::SendHTTPRequest : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientHTTP::SetHTTPRequestHeaderValue : 1
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientHTTP::CreateHTTPRequest : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUtils::RecordSteamInterfaceCreation : 32
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUtils::GetAPICallResult : 6
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUtils::GetAppID : 35
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUtils::GetIPCountry : 1
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientFriends::SetRichPresence : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUser::GetAuthSessionTicket : 1
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUser::GetSteamID : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUser::BLoggedOn : 2
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
Removing process 4156 for gameID 1086940
Removing process 4146 for gameID 1086940
Removing process 4134 for gameID 1086940

Wayland + Gamescope + Baldur's Gate 3 Vulkan
Code:
gamescope --expose-wayland -w 3840 -h 2160 -W 2560 -H 1440 -f -e -- %command%

Displayed as window:
Nothing. Game just crashes.
Logged in console:
Code:
 $ flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam
chdir "/home/shadowfly/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Baldurs Gate 3/bin"
console: gamescope-brokey version 3.14.22
No CAP_SYS_NICE, falling back to regular-priority compute and threads.
Performance will be affected.
Your Wayland compositor does NOT support wp_presentation/presentation-time which is required for VK_KHR_present_wait and VK_KHR_present_id.
Please complain to your compositor vendor for support. Falling back to X11 window with less accurate present wait.
xdg_backend: Couldn't create Wayland objects.
Adding process 3371 for gameID 1086940
vulkan: selecting physical device 'AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (RADV NAVI21)': queue family 1 (general queue family 0)
vulkan: physical device supports DRM format modifiers
wlserver: [backend/headless/backend.c:67] Creating headless backend
vulkan: supported DRM formats for sampling usage:
vulkan:   AR24 (0x34325241)
vulkan:   XR24 (0x34325258)
vulkan:   AB24 (0x34324241)
vulkan:   XB24 (0x34324258)
vulkan:   RG16 (0x36314752)
vulkan:   NV12 (0x3231564E)
vulkan:   AB4H (0x48344241)
vulkan:   XB4H (0x48344258)
vulkan:   AB48 (0x38344241)
vulkan:   XB48 (0x38344258)
vulkan:   AB30 (0x30334241)
vulkan:   XB30 (0x30334258)
vulkan:   AR30 (0x30335241)
vulkan:   XR30 (0x30335258)
vulkan: Creating Gamescope nested swapchain with format 44 and colorspace 0
wlserver: Using explicit sync when available
wlserver: Running compositor on wayland display 'gamescope-0'
wlserver: [backend/headless/backend.c:17] Starting headless backend
wlserver: Successfully initialized libei for input emulation!
wlserver: [xwayland/sockets.c:64] Failed to bind socket @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0: Address already in use
wlserver: [xwayland/sockets.c:64] Failed to bind socket @/tmp/.X11-unix/X1: Address already in use
wlserver: [xwayland/server.c:107] Starting Xwayland on :2
Adding process 3383 for gameID 1086940
wlserver: [types/wlr_compositor.c:771] New wlr_surface 0x565490ab8950 (res 0x565490ab6820)
wlserver: [xwayland/server.c:272] Xserver is ready
pipewire: pw_context_connect failed
Warning: failed to setup PipeWire, screen capture won't be available
vblank: Using timerfd.
Adding process 3393 for gameID 1086940
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 1086940
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561198065863189 [API loaded no]
[Gamescope WSI] Creating Gamescope surface: xid: 0x5000010
wlserver: [types/wlr_compositor.c:771] New wlr_surface 0x565490b297c0 (res 0x565490abe3b0)
[Gamescope WSI] Made gamescope surface for xid: 0x5000010
  window xid:                    0x5000010

>>>>>>GAME STARTED HERE<<<<<<

[Gamescope WSI] Creating Gamescope surface: xid: 0x6000050
wlserver: [types/wlr_compositor.c:771] New wlr_surface 0x565490b2e200 (res 0x565490ac0fa0)
[Gamescope WSI] Made gamescope surface for xid: 0x6000050
  window xid:                    0x6000050
[Gamescope WSI] Creating Gamescope surface: xid: 0x6000051
wlserver: [types/wlr_compositor.c:771] New wlr_surface 0x565490b2e6e0 (res 0x565490acf910)
[Gamescope WSI] Made gamescope surface for xid: 0x6000051
  window xid:                    0x6000051
  wayland surface res id:        9
[Gamescope WSI] Creating swapchain for xid: 0x6000051 - minImageCount: 4 - format: VK_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM - colorspace: VK_COLOR_SPACE_SRGB_NONLINEAR_KHR - flip: true
[Gamescope WSI] Failed to get Xwayland server id. Failing swapchain creation.
wine: setpriority 2 for pid -1 failed: 3
gamescope: children shut down!
terminate called without an active exception
(EE) failed to read Wayland events: Broken pipe
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMAPPLIST_INTERFACE_VERSION001 / AppList
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMAPPS_INTERFACE_VERSION008 / Apps
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMHTMLSURFACE_INTERFACE_VERSION_005 / HTMLSurface
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMHTTP_INTERFACE_VERSION003 / HTTP
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMINVENTORY_INTERFACE_V003 / Inventory
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMMUSICREMOTE_INTERFACE_VERSION001 / MusicRemote
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMMUSIC_INTERFACE_VERSION001 / Music
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMPARENTALSETTINGS_INTERFACE_VERSION001 / ParentalSettings
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMREMOTEPLAY_INTERFACE_VERSION001 / RemotePlay
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMREMOTESTORAGE_INTERFACE_VERSION016 / RemoteStorage
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMSCREENSHOTS_INTERFACE_VERSION003 / Screenshots
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMUGC_INTERFACE_VERSION016 / UGC
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMUSERSTATS_INTERFACE_VERSION012 / UserStats
Game 1086940 created interface STEAMVIDEO_INTERFACE_V002 / Video
Game 1086940 created interface SteamController008 /
Game 1086940 created interface SteamFriends017 / Friends
Game 1086940 created interface SteamInput006 /
Game 1086940 created interface SteamInput006 / Controller
Game 1086940 created interface SteamMatchGameSearch001 / GameSearch
Game 1086940 created interface SteamMatchMaking009 / Matchmaking
Game 1086940 created interface SteamMatchMakingServers002 / MatchmakingServers
Game 1086940 created interface SteamNetworking006 / Networking
Game 1086940 created interface SteamNetworkingMessages002 /
Game 1086940 created interface SteamNetworkingSockets012 /
Game 1086940 created interface SteamNetworkingUtils004 /
Game 1086940 created interface SteamParties002 / Parties
Game 1086940 created interface SteamUser021 / User
Game 1086940 created interface SteamUtils010 /
Game 1086940 created interface SteamUtils010 / Utils
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientNetworkingUtilsSerialized::GotLocationString : 1
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientNetworkingSocketsSerialized::GetSTUNServer : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientNetworkingSocketsSerialized::GetCachedRelayTicketCount : 1
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientNetworkingSocketsSerialized::GetCertAsync : 1
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientHTTP::ReleaseHTTPRequest : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientHTTP::GetHTTPResponseBodyData : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientHTTP::SendHTTPRequest : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientHTTP::SetHTTPRequestHeaderValue : 1
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientHTTP::CreateHTTPRequest : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUtils::RecordSteamInterfaceCreation : 32
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUtils::GetAPICallResult : 6
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUtils::GetAppID : 35
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUtils::GetIPCountry : 1
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientFriends::SetRichPresence : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUser::GetAuthSessionTicket : 1
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUser::GetSteamID : 2
Game 1086940 method call count for IClientUser::BLoggedOn : 2
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
Removing process 3393 for gameID 1086940
Removing process 3383 for gameID 1086940
Removing process 3371 for gameID 1086940
milkfat32
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my own google-fu, it seems to have trouble using the built-in Proton, when using Flatpak.

Have you tried running just steam inside gamescope?

Code:
gamescope -- steam

But of course with the flatpak commands instead.

So you have to use something like Proton-GE, but that flatpak is deprecated. There is another flatpak called ProtonUp-Qt you can try.

Another option is to try using the gamescope from the gentoo repository? That is open source software after all.

I don't know which permissions would be required for the Steam flatpak to be able to use the native gamescope.
shadowfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this hint has gotten us really close.

First i tried Flatpak Gamescope running Steam:
Code:
shadowfly $ flatpak install flathub org.freedesktop.Platform.VulkanLayer.gamescope
shadowfly $ flatpak run org.freedesktop.Platform.VulkanLayer.gamescope -- flatpak run com.valvesoftware.steam
bwrap: execvp /bin/sh: No such file or directory

No sucess.

Then i tried native Gamescope running Steam:
Code:
root $ nano /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/gamescope

Quote:
gui-wm/gamescope ~amd64
media-libs/libavif ~amd64
dev-libs/libliftoff ~amd64
media-libs/vkroots ~amd64

Code:
root $ emerge -a gui-wm/gamescope

Starting Steam inside native Gamescope:
Code:
gamescope -w 3840 -h 2160 -W 2560 -H 1440 -f -e -- flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam

Sucess! The Steam font is much bigger now! Then i launched Baldur's Gate 3 with GE-Proton8-16 (from outdated com.valvesoftware.Steam.CompatibilityTool.Proton-GE).
Launch args: None
No errors displayed and i could select 3840x2160 as render resolution. Unfortunately exiting the game crashes the game and Steam.

Then i tried native Gamescope running Steam with net.davidotek.pupgui2 :
Code:
gamescope -w 3840 -h 2160 -W 2560 -H 1440 -f -e -- flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam

Launch args: None, Proton: GE-Proton9-9
CreateSwapchainKHR errors and no 4K resolution in game.

Then i tried native Gamescope running Steam with default Proton :
Code:

Launch args: None, Proton: Proton-9.0.2
CreateSwapchainKHR errors and no 4K resolution in game.

Running
Code:
gamescope --expose-wayland -w 3840 -h 2160 -W 2560 -H 1440 -f -e -- flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam
did not change that behavior.

TLDR: Running Steam in native Gamescope works, but i could only get the game to run with GE-Proton8-16 which crashes the game and steam when exiting.
milkfat32
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using the gamescope embedded mode? It might not be the result you want but it might help with troubleshooting.

You can explore this file https://github.com/ChimeraOS/gamescope-session/blob/main/usr/share/gamescope-session-plus/gamescope-session-plus for options, but you have to run the gamescope command from a new tty, for it to be embedded mode.

Other than that I can only suggest to get the newest version of Proton-GE and build it yourself, and see if that has an effect.
shadowfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i run
Code:
shadowfly $ gamescope-session-plus glxgears
in a new tty, the monitor looses signal for a second, then the tty returns:
Code:
shadowfly $ gamescope-session-plus glxgears
Claimed global gamescope stats session at "/run/user/1000/gamescope-stats"

Also the graphical tty somehow switches from tty-1 to tty-2.

Directly running
Code:
shadowfly $ gamescope -- glxgears
in a new tty displays glxgears, but
Code:
shadowfly $ gamescope -- flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam
freezes the tty and starts steam in the graphical session. I guess this is only useful in combination with native Steam like here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX03k4pkMkI.

Also, even if it would work, it is just as inconvenient as the thing i currently do: Signing out of Wayland and signing into X11.

I also tried to compile my own GE-Proton, but the only thing i achieved was breaking my Podman installation. Somehow it does not compile, which is propably not too big of a problem because GE-Proton9-9 is only three days old.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: